What You Don't get about science and truth

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jimmcginn

What You Don't get about science and truth

Unread post by jimmcginn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am

Here is what you don't get about science and truth.

Humans have a deep-seated emotional need to believe they understand their world and there is a lot of money to be made fulfilling that need. And since most science consumers don't have the time or the education to put much effort into it, the most money can be made giving these science consumers excuses for why they don't actually have to literally understand it. And so--for reasons of fiscal necessity--many scientific disciplines have dumbed down their models to go with the flow of what people want to believe.

It is for this reason that there are certain concepts in every scientific discipline that are sacred. Their validity is beyond dispute and cannot be contradicted without the person being shunned by the larger discipline. Or, more simply put, certain subjects are taboo.

The anomalies of H2O are a severe embarrassment to all of the scientific disciplines in which water plays a central role. And, obviously, this includes all of the natural sciences but also physics and chemistry. The misconceptions associated with these anomalies are central to all of the various disciplines in the natural sciences.

This results in a consensus of obnoxious dunces in the natural sciences. These nitwits dismiss and evade contradictions that conflict with these artificially simplistic models. Like martyrs to a religious cause, they are willing to sacrifice their own reputation in order to preserve the perceived sanctity of their science-based beliefs.

Stupidity lies at the heart of most traditional notions in the natural sciences.

Frank_Grimer

Re: What You Don't get about science and truth

Unread post by Frank_Grimer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm

jimmcginn wrote:Here is what you don't get about science and truth.

Humans have a deep-seated emotional need to believe they understand their world and there is a lot of money to be made fulfilling that need. And since most science consumers don't have the time or the education to put much effort into it, the most money can be made giving these science consumers excuses for why they don't actually have to literally understand it. And so--for reasons of fiscal necessity--many scientific disciplines have dumbed down their models to go with the flow of what people want to believe.

It is for this reason that there are certain concepts in every scientific discipline that are sacred. Their validity is beyond dispute and cannot be contradicted without the person being shunned by the larger discipline. Or, more simply put, certain subjects are taboo.

The anomalies of H2O are a severe embarrassment to all of the scientific disciplines in which water plays a central role. And, obviously, this includes all of the natural sciences but also physics and chemistry. The misconceptions associated with these anomalies are central to all of the various disciplines in the natural sciences.

This results in a consensus of obnoxious dunces in the natural sciences. These nitwits dismiss and evade contradictions that conflict with these artificially simplistic models. Like martyrs to a religious cause, they are willing to sacrifice their own reputation in order to preserve the perceived sanctity of their science-based beliefs.

Stupidity lies at the heart of most traditional notions in the natural sciences.
Absolutely right. You would think that in the case of water, for example, the most important substance for man by a long chalk, they would move heaven and earth to resolve these anomalies. Unfortunately, not so.

jimmcginn

Re: What You Don't get about science and truth

Unread post by jimmcginn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am

Frank_Grimer wrote: Absolutely right. You would think that in the case of water, for example, the most important substance for man by a long chalk, they would move heaven and earth to resolve these anomalies. Unfortunately, not so.
Consensus based arrogance is the norm anytime you are dealing with humans. People fool themselves into thinking they are independent thinkers. This is the delusion. This is our deepest misconception. The reality is that people that actually are independent thinkers, like myself, do so by way of strict adherence to scientific method. I know my limitations. I know that if I don't adhere to scientific principles I will regress into the behavior of pretending to understand what I really don't. Most people never realize this and live their whole live never suspecting it.

Humans have a huge capacity to pretend to understand and a very low capacity to be cognizant that they are pretending.

After I made the discovery that the notion that moist air contained gaseous H2O was a myth and it actually contains liquid H2O I didn't think it would be that controversial. Instead people get real emotional, arrogant, and desperate. They start deploying all kinds of political tactics, including name calling. Recently I had a Twitter argument with Patrick Moore (formerly of Green Peace). He stubbornly insisted that it was my responsibility to show him proof positive that moisture in clear, moist air (at ambient temps) contains liquid and not gaseous H2O. I pointed him to phase diagrams (based on experiments done in laboratories) that clearly indicate that I am right and he is wrong. He refused to acknowledge this evidence. Instead this self-righteous moron kept blabbing on and eventually blocked me from his twitter.

https://twitter.com/SolvingTornadoe/sta ... 3521546240

The world is full of self-righteous morons who having once read something in a book are sure they know the truth.

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes