Electricity and Plasma, from Micro to Macro and Beyond...

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

ZeuZ

Re: Electricity and Plasma, from Micro to Macro and Beyond...

Unread post by ZeuZ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Plasma scaling is the most interesting aspect about plasma in my opinion. Thats how people get data about planets (or the suns) magnetic fields from using Terellas, a shame that most Terellas have been replaced with computer simulations that dont tend to show the effects that Birkeland and others achieved with actual experiments. The dense plasma focus is well known to be very scale invariant, Birkeland currents, and the Z-pinch process too. One of the less known properties of plasma is that they can be fractal in nature over many orders of magnitude, ie, not scale invariant at every scale, but do become identical at various specific scales.

I posted a series of links about plasma scaling and fractals in all sorts of domains elsewhere, it would make a good addition here I feel. And lets not forget that Lerners magnetically confined filament compression plasma model, in which the filaments condense gravitationally into a fractal distribution of matter, predicted that the universe would have a fractal dimension at large scales. This is why the prediction of fractal dimension (e~=2) was made, and this value seems to be what scientists that investigate fractal cosmologies keep finding. Another sucessful PC prediction by the looks of things. And this very recent press release from newscientist looks very promising on revealing a large scale fractal structure in the universe; Galaxy map hints at fractal universe

Heres that list, I think that most of them are public access, though I might have squandered a few privaleges with some links;
*Similarity of structuring in the range 10-5 cm to 10^23 cm hints at a baryonic cold dark skeleton of the Universe - American Physical Society, 44th Annual Meeting of the Division of Plasma, 2002

*Magnetic vortex filaments, universal scale invariants, and the fundamental constants Lerner, Eric J. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. PS-14, Dec. 1986, p. 690-702.

*Evidences for and the models of self-similar skeletal structures in fusion devices, severe weather phenomena and space

*Force-free magnetic filaments and the cosmic background radiation

*Fractal Structures and the Large Scale Distribution of Galaxies

*Finite size effects on the galaxy number counts: evidence for fractal behavior up to the deepest scale - Physica A226 195–242 (1996).

*On the Fractal Nature of the Large-Scale Structure of the Universe

*Fractal universe. - Physica A, Vol. 280, No. 1 - 2, p. 125 - 130, 2000.

*Skeletal Structures in the Images of Cosmic Dust Clouds and Solar SystemPlanets - Plasma Science, IEEE Transactions on Volume 35, Issue 4, Aug. 2007

*Self-Similarity of Electric Currents Networking in a Broad Range of Length Scales: from Laboratory to Cosmic Plasmas - A. B. Kukushkin and V. A. Rantsev-Kartinov, Rev. Scientific Instr., 70, n.2, pp.1387-1391, 1999.

*Electrodynamic Aggregation of Nanodust as a Source of Long-Lived Filaments in Laboratory Electric Discharges and Space - Kukushkin, A.B. Plasma Science, IEEE Transactions on Volume 35, Issue 4, Aug. 2007.

*Observation of Skeletal Filamentary Structures in Plasma of a Fast Z-Pinch - American Physical Society, 44th Annual Meeting of the Division of Plasma, 2002

*Skeletal Structures in High-Current Electric Discharges: Observations, Hypotheses and Proof-of-Concept Studies - 29th EPS Conference on Plasma Phys. and Contr. Fusion Montreux, 17-21 June 2002

**Principles of Magnetohydrodynamics: With Applications to Laboratory and Astrophysical Plasmas, Goedbloed and S. Poedts, Cambridge, 2004. [lecture notes]

I recommend this publication for an overview of fractal cosmologies, and an approach to cosmology that is getting ever closer to the type of cosmology advoctaed by PC proponents; Fractal Cosmology Today

And I found the *uncensored* version of the plasma cosmology page at wikipedia, as editted by Lerner. It certainly comes in handy when trying to explain the fundamental concepts of plasma cosmology to people;
Plasma cosmology

substance

Unread post by substance » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:32 pm

ZeuZ wrote: And I found the *uncensored* version of the plasma cosmology page at wikipedia, as editted by Lerner. It certainly comes in handy when trying to explain the fundamental concepts of plasma cosmology to people;
Plasma cosmology
I don`t get it. Why is the current version of the article so heavily cut? This is supposed to be a free-speech site. I edited a paragraph saying that SDSS disproves universe fractal-ness, because the article from New Scientist clearly states the opposite. I also added a small paragraph at the end of Comparison to mainstream cosmology, because none of the accurate predictions of PC were mentioned.
My personal blog about science, technology, society and politics. - Putredo Mundi

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:49 pm

ZeuZ wrote:And this very recent press release from newscientist looks very promising on revealing a large scale fractal structure in the universe; Galaxy map hints at fractal universe
Been there, covered that... ;)

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm

substance wrote:
ZeuZ wrote: And I found the *uncensored* version of the plasma cosmology page at wikipedia, as editted by Lerner. It certainly comes in handy when trying to explain the fundamental concepts of plasma cosmology to people;
Plasma cosmology
I don`t get it. Why is the current version of the article so heavily cut? This is supposed to be a free-speech site. I edited a paragraph saying that SDSS disproves universe fractal-ness, because the article from New Scientist clearly states the opposite. I also added a small paragraph at the end of Comparison to mainstream cosmology, because none of the accurate predictions of PC were mentioned.
If you're referring to Wikipedia, it get patrolled by people generally unfriendly to PC/EU who will tend to remove anything not sourced to several reliable mainstream sources, or anything not 100% "proven." In that case, it might be appropriate to edit it to note that recent results published by New Scientist preliminarily show that the universe may have a fractal distribution out to the largest scales, violating standard model assumptions. However, be sure to cite your sources. Specifically, Fractured Universe noted that if true, a fractal universe would undermine the standard model, which expects a homogeneous distribution of matter at the largest scales. And, Galaxy map hints at fractal universe which notes that by analyzing much more current and extensive SDSS data, it appears that the largest scales ARE fractal in distribution. Sucks to be the mainstream. Phrase it neutrally (just the facts, direct quotes if possible), and include the references for each statement so other users can check for themselves.

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

Harry Costas

Unread post by Harry Costas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 am

G'day from the land of of ozzzzzzz

Thank you for the links above,,,,,,,,,,,always learning

This is one of the few forums that apply science to ideas and theories.

Harry Costas

Unread post by Harry Costas » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:54 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzzzzz

Now that my mind is in one million parts.

I have to re-educate myself and me and all the other parts.

Funny enough I'm familiar with most of the papers.

I wonder if you have links on Z-pinch and the double layer properties of Plasma and the formation of jets from compact matter. I think you may have covered it.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Harry Costas wrote:I wonder if you have links on Z-pinch and the double layer properties of Plasma and the formation of jets from compact matter. I think you may have covered it.
Sounds a lot like plasmoids...

I'd suggest a look into Bostick, et al.

Take a look at this page:

(Electric Galaxies)
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=2m1r5m3b

Use "find" and search on "plasmoid," should take you to the appropriate section of the page. Or just scroll down the the diagram of the dense plasma focus and read the subsequent paragraphs, where it talks about plasmoid behavior.

Same for this article:

(Black holes tear logic apart)
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=tyybhrr8

Search on plasmoid or go to the diagram of the dense plasma focus and read the subsequent paragraphs.

I'm sure there are probably more peer-reviewed sources out there. But, just for a very brief snapshot... :)

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:14 pm

As to z-pinch, go here:

(Plasma-universe.com - Pinch)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.php/Pinch

Plenty of papers at the end.

Likewise:

(Plasmoid)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.php/Plasmoid

(Dense Plasma Focus)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... asma_focus

(Double layer)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.php/Double_layer

(Filamentation)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.php/Filamentation

(Marklund convection)
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... convection

Regards,
~Michael Gmirkin

Divinity

Unread post by Divinity » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 am

My apologies if this has been posted before...

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v1/2

Ultracold neutral plasmas
By Steven L. Rolston
Joint Quantum Institute, Department of Physics, University of Maryland, College Park MD 20742-4111
Published July 14, 2008

Plasmas are normally thought of as high temperature ionized gases or fluids, such as those in the sun’s corona or those found in controlled nuclear fusion experiments. Many interesting plasma phenomena can occur, however, in plasmas at low temperature. With the help of laser trapping and cooling, atoms can be photoionized to form neutral plasmas at extremely low temperatures. These plasmas may exist in the so-called strong coupling regime, where the energy of the Coulomb interactions between particles is larger than their thermal energy. In addition to providing a test bed for studying the strongly coupled plasmas such as those found in Jovian planets and white dwarfs, ultracold plasmas play a critical role in understanding the formation of antihydrogen

(snip)

Future challenges
---------------------
Ultracold plasma physics has grown out of atomic physics technology and research, and it is only natural to try to continue to utilize our techniques to further push the limits of plasma parameters. Experiments with calcium and strontium have the unique feature that there is an easily accessible strong optical transition in the ions. This has been exploited for laser absorption and fluorescence measurements to give images and Doppler spectra of the ions. It is interesting to consider whether we can employ laser cooling of the ions (a well-established atomic physics technology) to generate millikelvin ion temperatures and push the ions very deeply into the regime of strong coupling. Estimates suggest it should be possible [22], but the challenge will be whether the laser cooling capabilities can win out over the various heating mechanisms that exist in ultracold plasmas, including those that are known and possible others that have not yet been identified. Another intriguing possibility would be to introduce correlations in the neutral atom locations by photoionizing from an optical lattice (a periodic potential for neutral atoms formed by interfering laser beams), although these correlations are likely to be different from the strongly coupled plasma correlations.

Ultracold plasma research is primarily concerned with the fundamental properties of plasma in new parameter regimes, but there is also active ongoing research exploring their use for the production of very monoenergetic electron and ion beams. Research in ultracold plasmas may in the end offer insights into a wide variety of systems, such as plasma propulsion systems, the ionosphere and other astrophysical environments, and inertially confined plasmas for fusion.

Divinity

Unread post by Divinity » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:31 am

Always a good idea to see what the Chinese are up to ;)

http://www.iphy.ac.cn/Chinese/kjdt2008/ ... 185001.pdf
Plasma Currents and Electron Distribution Functions under a dc Electric Field of Arbitrary Strength 05.13

http://www.iphy.ac.cn/English/Society/CPS.html

Specialized Committees:
  Committee on High Energy Physics
  Committee on Nuclear Physics
  Committee on Plasma Physics
  Committee on Atomic and Molecular Physics
  Committee on Microwave Spectroscopy
  Committee on Optical Physics
  Committee on Light Scattering
  Committee on Quantum Optics
  Committee on Luminescence
  Committee on Electrostatics
  Committee on Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and Statistical Physics
  Committee on Semiconductor Physics
  Committee on Magnetism
  Committee on Surface and Interface Physics
  Committee on Amorphous State Physics
  Committee on Defects in Solids
  Committee on Phase Diagrams
  Committee on Low Temperature Physics
  Committee on High Pressure Physics
  Committee on Liquid Crystals
  Committee on Dielectrics
  Committee on Internal Friction and Supersonic Attenuation
  Committee on X-ray Diffraction
  Committee on Gravitation and Relativistic Astrophysics
  Committee on Electronic Spectroscopy
  Committee on Mass Spectroscopy
  Committee on Accelerators
  Committee on Synchrotron Radiation

Solsearcher

Unread post by Solsearcher » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:15 am

Looks like there are many of us on the same wavelength.

How about microscopic comets associated with plasmas?!? Micro/macro indeed!!! http://www.intenex.net/~elewis/lewispap ... mbled3.pdf

The problem with so-called science today is that it is under the influence of those whose philosophy it is to maintain absolute control over humanity.

Since knowledge is power and power is the last thing the controllers want the common man to have, knowledge is very meticulously controlled!!!

reka

Unread post by reka » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:17 am

Hello,
I would assume that PLASMA must be some form of water. Perhaps water whose
molecular structure that is not as closely knit here on earth where water is under gravitational influence.
I remember reading a few years ago about a substance called poly-water, which had a
definite hexagonal structure, I believe only when not as severly affected by the
gravitational effect of earth.

Would someone be able to expound further on this subject.
Could the substance that has been dubbed PLASMA, actually be
POLYWATER?

R
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up
...But Dmitri Mendeleev didn't establish the periodic table till 1869

htert2020

Unread post by htert2020 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:13 pm

reka wrote:I would assume that PLASMA must be some form of water.
Unfortunately, I've never heard of polywater. But I'm sure that it's not plasma. Plasma is regarded as the fourth state of matter after the three better-known states of solid, liquid, and gas. As such, a plasma can be a heterogeneous mixture of widely differing atoms, compounds, ions, and electrons... or it may be very homogeneous. By contrast, water by definition consists only of hydrogen and oxygen atoms in a particular molecular arrangement. It is possible, though, for water to become a plasma by electrolyzing it into its basic atomic elements -- hydrogen and oxygen -- and undergoing partial ionization by decreasing its density.

Plasma is like a gas, except that a small but significant percentage of its atoms are ionized, meaning that one or more electrons have escaped their atoms. As a result, positive ions and/or negative electrons freely float within the plasma, rendering the plasma highly susceptible to electrical and magnetic fields. A gas becomes a plasma due either to high heat or low density, allowing electrons to escape their atoms for extended periods of time. When electrons or ions flow within a plasma, it is in fact an electric current.

A plasma's atomic/molecular composition defines its more subtle properties and may influence its Birkeland current color or luminence.

Polywater does sound interesting, though. I don't think polywater would commonly exist in space due to its high molecular weight, so I predict that polywater is a man-made invention.

florentis

Unread post by florentis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 pm

What is plasma ? Is it just an electric current ? To simple for me. I won't believe that we could qualified plasma with our approximatives words. We just have to look at it. Plasma seems to be scalable.
In fact, If we look closely enough an atom, we would see electrons which are hiding a positively charge nucleus, at a certain pulse all around it.

hiding => debye length
Pulse => frequency of the plasma

So, if we look closely, every atom is a tiny plasme zone. Is each state of matter a plasma ?

If we look at larger scale (e.g. water molecules), there is alway some charged particules in it (H3O+, OH- concentration 10^-7 at pH 7), that's why debye length is used in electrolytes. So water should behave like a plasma, not for particules, but polar molecules.

And so on... Earth, Solar system, galaxies, ...

popster1

Unread post by popster1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:09 pm

MGmirkin wrote: If you're referring to Wikipedia, it get patrolled by people generally unfriendly to PC/EU who will tend to remove anything not sourced to several reliable mainstream sources, or anything not 100% "proven."
Ain't that the truth, and it's not just the EU that gets panned. Wikipedia should be called "The encyclopedia of Popular Science." Here is an interesting article about the people who make it so. It's doubly interesting that this story was reported by NewScientist, which is only slightly more open minded than Wikipedia.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... eable.html
DISAGREEABLE and closed to new ideas - that's the picture that emerges of Wikipedia contributors from a survey of their psychological attributes.

Yair Amichai-Hamburger at the Sammy Ofer School of Communication in Herzliya, Israel, and his team gave a personality test to 69 Wikipedia contributors. As he expected, the "Wikipedians" were more comfortable online than in the "real world". But he was surprised that contributors scored low for agreeableness and openness to new ideas, given that contributing to the website is based on sharing knowledge (CyberPsychology & Behavior, vol 6, p 679).
I've lived long enough to see nearly everything I ever believed to be true disproved at least once.