Mars - Water

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Ben D

Re: Mars - Water

Unread post by Ben D » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:17 am

Metryq wrote: Move along. Nothing to see here.
I think NASA will check it out...but are not willing to share the results in real time...hence the diversion story... Though I don't totally discount caution regarding the potential for some sort of contamination to possible basic life forms in the water....sort of like "War of the Worlds" in reverse..we bring our germs to them... :D

GaryN

Re: Mars - Water

Unread post by GaryN » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:13 am

Test for Damp Ground at Mars' Seasonal Streaks Finds None
The new results from NASA's Mars Odyssey mission rely on ground temperature, measured by infrared imaging using the spacecraft's Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS). They do not contradict last year's identification of hydrated salt at these flows, which since their 2011 discovery have been regarded as possible markers for the presence of liquid water on modern Mars. However, the temperature measurements now identify an upper limit on how much water is present at these darkened streaks: about as much as in the driest desert sands on Earth.
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6597
I'm thinking closer examination might turn up evidence of electrical processes at work, perhaps they don't want to open up that can of worms.
"Totally dry mechanisms for explaining RSL should not be ruled out."
But will that include something like localised ion winds removing surface dust to expose a darker layer underneath?
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Metryq

Sub-surface "lake" on Mars

Unread post by Metryq » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:39 am

Radar evidence of subglacial liquid water on Mars

Remember when "ice" was spotted on the mountains of Venus? Of course, there's a much greater "chance" for this sub-surface lake on Mars because scientists "know" the planet was once covered by vast oceans.

Every time I hear about "Earth-like" exoplanets, I am reminded of early 20th century astronomy when Venus was a jungle planet, or when Italian pastries were observed on Mars.

The Great Dog

Re: Sub-surface "lake" on Mars

Unread post by The Great Dog » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am

This speculation has been going on for a long time. A Google search for Martian water gave me this:

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2009/ ... batana.htm

TGD
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

allynh

Korolev Crater, Mars - water ice year round

Unread post by allynh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I googled the Forum and did not find mention of the Korolev crater. BTW, If someone has talked about this, feel free to move the post to the right thread. Thanks...

What disturbs me, is that they are claiming the crater has 1.8 kilometers of water ice year round. If true, this burns my brain. HA!

Mars Express gets festive: A winter wonderland on Mars
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space ... nd_on_Mars
Korolev crater in context

Korolev crater is 82 kilometres across and found in the northern lowlands of Mars, just south of a large patch of dune-filled terrain that encircles part of the planet’s northern polar cap (known as Olympia Undae). It is an especially well-preserved example of a martian crater and is filled not by snow but ice, with its centre hosting a mound of water ice some 1.8 kilometres thick all year round.

This ever-icy presence is due to an interesting phenomenon known as a ‘cold trap’, which occurs as the name suggests. The crater’s floor is deep, lying some two kilometres vertically beneath its rim.

The very deepest parts of Korolev crater, those containing ice, act as a natural cold trap: the air moving over the deposit of ice cools down and sinks, creating a layer of cold air that sits directly above the ice itself.

Behaving as a shield, this layer helps the ice remain stable and stops it from heating up and disappearing. Air is a poor conductor of heat, exacerbating this effect and keeping Korolev crater permanently icy.

The crater is named after chief rocket engineer and spacecraft designer Sergei Korolev, dubbed the father of Soviet space technology.

Korolev worked on a number of well-known missions including the Sputnik program – the first artificial satellites ever sent into orbit around the Earth, in 1957 and the years following, the Vostok and Vokshod programs of human space exploration (Vostok being the spacecraft that carried the first ever human, Yuri Gagarin, into space in 1961) as well as the first interplanetary missions to the Moon, Mars, and Venus. He also worked on a number of rockets that were the precursors to the successful Soyuz launcher – still the workhorses of the Russian space programme, and used for both crewed and robotic flights.
Korolev (Martian crater)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korolev_(Martian_crater)

Here is the paper discussing the crater, with pdf available.

Three‐dimensional structure and origin of a 1.8 km thick ice dome within Korolev Crater, Mars
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 15GL066440

neilwilkes

Re: Korolev Crater, Mars - water ice year round

Unread post by neilwilkes » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 am

You beat me to it, sir!
I was just dropping in to see if this had been discussed already after getting sent a link to a BBC article (of all things) with an artists impression masquerading as a satellite image (ah - that's more like the BBC I have come to know)
asking me if I had come across this yet - said I hadn't but would come have a look see.

The more things change, the more they stay the same though but extremely interesting.
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.