Electric Jupiter

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

justcurious

Re: Lab results suggest gas giant cores are positively charg

Unread post by justcurious » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 am

The standard astronomers dream up huge amounts of heat needed to ionize noble gases.
I guess they didn't teach them in undergraduate physics that noble gases can be very easily ionized with low amounts of electric energy (ie neon signs).

comingfrom

Re: Electric Jupiter

Unread post by comingfrom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Wow. I just read through all the pages of this thread. What a trip. I love thunderbolts forum!

A crazy thought jumped into my head, when I came near the end.

I thought, when we want a magnet, we just wrap some copper wires around a steel bar and send a current through the wire.
Jupiter has Van Allen belts, just like the earth does.
That is, major currents circling around the planet.

Why are they looking for internal mechanisms for creation of planetary fields?
Am I missing something?

Furthermore, if we place a steel ball in the magnetic field of our magnet, it becomes magnetic.
Because Ganymede is in Jupiter's electric field, maybe that is why it has a field too.

Just sharing my thought.

Happy Juno Year to us all! 8-)
~Paul

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:05 pm

When you read the Abstract of the paper they seem to be blaming it all on "reconnection", i.e. "magnetic reconnection", sigh....

Something Weird and Amazing Is Happening at Jupiter's North Pole
http://gizmodo.com/something-weird-and- ... 1766387483
Artist’s concept of Jupiter’s magnetosphere interacting with the solar wind. Image Credit: JAXA

If you were soaring through Jupiter’s turbid skies wearing a pair of x-ray goggles, you might get lucky and witness something incredible. Brilliant flashes of light, more luminous and powerful than the Sun, occurring every 26 minutes and stretching as far as the eye can see. That’s the essence of a massive solar storm recently witnessed for the first time near Jupiter’s north pole.

“When I first saw this, I thought I’d made a mistake,” Will Dunn, a PhD student studying astrophysics at the University College London, told Gizmodo. The northern lights Dunn observed on Jupiter are hundreds of times brighter than the aurora borealis on Earth. “We’re still not sure exactly what’s causing it.”

Jupiter’s northern lights, created when the gas giant’s prodigious magnetic field interacts with charged particles from the Sun, have long fascinated planetary scientists. But after decades of observation, many puzzles remain. Chief among Jupiter’s space weather mysteries is a bright x-ray aurora, located near the planet’s north pole. It never goes away, but since 2006, scientists have watched it brighten and fade every 45 minutes, light a lightbulb on a dimmer switch. Now, Dunn’s observations with the Chandra X-ray observatory and other telescopes have added another twist to this dazzling enigma.

Jupiter’s x-ray aurora, overlain on a view captured by the Hubble Space Telescope. Image Credit: Joseph DePasquale, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory/Chandra X-ray Center

Writing today in the Journal of Geophysical Research, Dunn and his co-authors describe what happened when a coronal mass ejection—a giant cloud of magnetized plasma that erupted from the surface of the Sun—struck the gas giant’s magnetosphere in 2011. When this happens on Earth, we get the northern lights. On Jupiter, the forever-aurora gets bigger and flashier.

“We saw the pulsing get much quicker: it happens about every 26 minutes during a solar storm,” Dunn said. “And we saw a bright enhancement in a region where we’d never seen it before.”

“If your eyes could see x-rays, you’d see something similar to the aurora on Earth,” Dunn continued. “Except the flashing across the the sky would be much bigger and brighter. Jupiter’s auroras cover a region larger than the entire Earth, so it would stretch as far as the eye can see.”

Why Jupiter’s northern lights flicker to a particular tempo, and why that flickering accelerated during the 2011 solar storm, are questions that planetary scientists would love to answer. “We think that when a coronal mass ejection crashes into Jupiter’s magnetosphere, it compresses it by about 2 million kilometers,” Dunn said. But for more details, we may have to wait for NASA’s Juno mission, which reaches the boundary between the Jupiter’s magnetic field and the solar wind this summer.

In addition to offering yet another mind-blowing glimpse into the meteorological events occurring in our cosmic backyard, Jupiter’s aurora provides a second benchmark for understanding how magnetic fields protect planets from powerful stellar eruptions. And that knowledge may eventually aid in the search for life beyond our solar system.

“We have a pretty good understanding of how the Earth’s magnetosphere works,” Dunn said. “But the universe is filled with magnetically active objects, including billions of exoplanets. Understanding the diversity of magnetic fields has relevance for understanding whether any of those other planets can support life.”
Here is the paper they talk about.

The impact of an ICME on the Jovian X-ray aurora
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 8/abstract

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks to Lloyd for his Major Sci News Blog,

I found this latest propaganda link from NASA for the Juno mission.
Jupiter Orbital Insertion: Juno To Dive Into The Unknown

Ridiculous. They present it as if it were the trailer of an upcoming movie.
In the midst of their sci-fi drama trailer, they present us with... Electric Jupiter

NASA can't convince me that NASA doesn't believe in the Electric Universe.
They just don't want to be seen admitting it.

~Paul

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:28 pm

NASA's Juno Spacecraft in Orbit Around Mighty Jupiter.

The page has a time lapse video taken by Juno on approach, which shows the main moons' motions around Jupiter.

~~~~~~
And the next report from NASA.

Team Begins Powering up Science Instruments
“We had to turn all our beautiful instruments off to help ensure a successful Jupiter orbit insertion on July 4,” said Scott Bolton, Juno principal investigator from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. “But next time around we will have our eyes and ears open. You can expect us to release some information about our findings around September 1.”
Juno apparently can't do a burn and operate a camera at the same time.
What ...!!??

Probably more like, we gotta study the data ourselves for a bit,
and see if it is fit for public consumption.
September gives us time to manufacture something to give to the civillions,
if the natural data is too electric for public consumption
~Paul

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 am

comingfrom wrote:Juno apparently can't do a burn and operate a camera at the same time.
What ...!!??

Probably more like, we gotta study the data ourselves for a bit,
and see if it is fit for public consumption.
September gives us time to manufacture something to give to the civillions,
if the natural data is too electric for public consumption
~Paul
That is not it, they have to shut down because of the electrical environment of Jupiter, if everything is ON the sensitive equipment could burn out, even with the shielding present.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank you, Daniel.
That is not it, they have to shut down because of the electrical environment of Jupiter, if everything is ON the sensitive equipment could burn out, even with the shielding present.
But they are going to turn on the equipment sometime while they are there, in that electrical environment.
Else why even get that close.

And how sensitive is a camera?
I can understand not transmitting any data during insertion,
but do not understand not attempting to collect any data during that time.

The excuse seems a bit lame to me.
~Paul

D_Archer

Unread post by D_Archer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:59 am

comingfrom wrote:Thank you, Daniel.
But they are going to turn on the equipment sometime while they are there, in that electrical environment.
Else why even get that close.

And how sensitive is a camera?
I can understand not transmitting any data during insertion,
but do not understand not attempting to collect any data during that time.

The excuse seems a bit lame to me.
~Paul
NASA knows about the electrical environment of Jupiter, but they talk mostly about the magnetosphere and how complex it is, see this link >
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas-j ... etic-field
Juno was speeding through an environment that has about 16 particles per cubic inch (one per cubic centimeter). Once it crossed into the magnetosphere, the density was about a hundredfold less. The density is expected to climb again, inside the magnetosphere, as the spacecraft gets closer to Jupiter itself
---
The magnetoshpere is very big and has different densities, crossing boundaries can be dangerous, the craft is already providing data on the structure of the magnetosphere.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:01 am

Thank you, Daniel.

For the link and the explanation.
We also get this explanation, and timeline for some data...
“We had to turn all our beautiful instruments off to help ensure a successful Jupiter orbit insertion on July 4,” said Scott Bolton, Juno principal investigator from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. “But next time around we will have our eyes and ears open. You can expect us to release some information about our findings around September 1.”

Team Begins Powering up Science Instruments

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:17 am

Jupiter is heated by sound waves apparently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36904456

Anything but electricity...

folaht

Unread post by folaht » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

No one getting excited here that Juno might find a surface area here?

I'm predicting a mean surface diameter of 32,000 - 69,500 km.

And the 'metallic hydrogen' will turn out to be plain solid metal.
Since 1 % 1, 1 * 1 and 1 - 1 do not add up, we must conclude that 1 + 1 is 3.

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

I expect there is a rocky planet beneath the atmosphere.

First close up pictures from Juno.
Jupiter's north pole unlike anything encountered in solar system

Juno's View of Jupiter's Southern Lights

~Paul

folaht

Unread post by folaht » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 am

I expect there is a rocky planet beneath the atmosphere.
Juno's gonna fly now! :mrgreen:
Since 1 % 1, 1 * 1 and 1 - 1 do not add up, we must conclude that 1 + 1 is 3.

neilwilkes

Juno - images very conspicuous by their absence

Unread post by neilwilkes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:51 am

Well, the latest image I can find from the Juno mission is dated 28th August - and nothing since. Not a sausage.
I cannot but help wonder exactly what the cameras are revealing that NASA/ESA do not want us to know about (although I have my suspicions).

What does everyone else think?
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.

D_Archer

Re: Juno - images very conspicuous by their absence

Unread post by D_Archer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:17 am

This is from september>
STUNNING VORTICES OF JUPITER'S SOUTH POLE
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/Vault/ ... 1474548709

Source:
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -