Electric Volcanoes

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

shonlove

Re: Electric Volcanoes

Unread post by shonlove » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

I just watched this little youtube clip of a volcano spitting out a smoke ring and thought - that really, really looks like some sort of plasma effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4brRXqo ... ded#at=148

Thanks,
Shon

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 am

Not to deny the plasma connection... perhaps there is a plasma connection to all vortices, but try this experiment some of my students like to do: cut a nice round hole in the lid of an oatmeal box [the cylindrical type], and fill the box with smoke [incense works great], then hold the box horizontally, hole away from you, and thump the bottom with your fingers. I've seen little smoke rings from this device travel nearly 4 meters. I'm no smoker myself so I can't tell you how to blow that kind of smoke ring. Vortices are an interesting study, and I've no doubt there is an electrical interplay in the mix somehow. The Etna smoke rings are the only natural type of this that I have ever been aware of, and quite amazing!
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 am

I have a toy gun called a Zero Blaster (here) which creates smoke rings that will travel 8-10 feet. It uses a battery to heat a fluid to a smoky gas in a chamber, and the trigger stretches and releases a membrane that shoves the smoke out a hole similar to your oatmeal box. Pretty cute. The shear as the gas is forced through a "knife-edge" opening creates a bound vortex in a toroidal shape, which is the smoke ring with a slowly decelerating drift velocity along the gun's axis. Amazing the things humans are willing to exchange money for!

For the grownups, watch a movie of a Minuteman missile launch sometime, and see a really large and fast smoke ring blow out the open top of the silo as the missile's solid fuel rocket is ignited! Same bound vortex at work. Same amazing willingness to exchange money for...

Jim

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Showing my age, but used to own a Wham-O Air Blaster in the late 60s. In that case, one had to blow smoke into the barrel, since it only shot an air ball.
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

Osmosis

Unread post by Osmosis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Back to Electric Volcanoes, for a bit-When Mt. Saint Helens blew, an airborne geomagnetic survey was in progress over the area.
The magnetic field readings clearly showed changes, during the eruption. Could it be? Current causes magnetic fields?
Magma as moving plasma? Who knew? :o :o :o :o

Osmosis

PersianPaladin

The puzzle of volcanism

Unread post by PersianPaladin » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

I've read in Charles Ginenthal's essays over the years - that both Io and Venus have a thin crust and many fissures where the mantle is exposed, giving rise to vulcanism. So why do volcanic eruptions not occur in all areas where the molten mantle is exposed? These are not questions that can be directly answered as of yet.

In a paper published in 1987 Anthony L. Peratt hypothesizes that the vulcanism on Io is considerably influenced by the electric field of Jupiter that creates plasma-arc discharges. Perratt writes:-

"It would seem plausible that the current would tend to concentrate in the volcanic plumes, which would give the current easy access to the highly conducting molten interior of Io. We would suppose that the crust, consisting of sulfer and frozen sulfer dioxide, would be a relatively poor conductor, thus directing the current to the volcanic vents"
http://web.archive.org/web/200609081902 ... essler.pdf

Note how molten lava is a lot more electrically conductive than the crust. Also note how the crust of the earth is said to vary in depth, depending in which region you are.

Areas where the crust is allegedly thin, such as Iceland...yield interesting phenomena:-
"Deep Electrical Structure under Iceland

J. F. Hermance
Geophysics Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

G. D. Garland
Geophysics Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

An interpretation is made of magnetic variations of the bay type observed in Iceland, in terms of the behavior of the Z/H ratio with distance from source. Observations from Greenland observatories are used to provide an estimate of the characteristic width of the auroral current system. It is concluded that a region of enhanced electrical conductivity must underlie Iceland. If the anomalous material has the conductivity of molten lava, its most probable depth is 30 km, and, on the basis of the available observations, it appears to underlie the entire island."
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1968/J ... 3797.shtml

What could this tell us? It suggests that the earth does have magma in certain areas under the crust. We could have had a scenario where the planet was once much hotter globally, with molten lava very close to the surface or just under the crust (like Venus used to be - as described by catastrophists such as Velikovsky et al). The earth would've then gradually cooled down with the lava cooling off. The rotation of the earth however, as well as various factors such as obliquety and changes in solar field influence - could actually influence the movement of magma underneath the earth and have it behave as a molten plasma. Areas of the crust that are particularly thin - could more susceptible to electrical interaction with the electromagnetic fields coming from the sun. Thus this could explain the earthquakes and volcanoes at these particular locations. Of course, we don't have a full explanation of the dynamics as of yet. For example - we don't know WHY and HOW there are areas of the crust that are thinner than others; with respect to magma and its presence. How did this develop from earlier periods of much more widespread vulcanism?

It really is a puzzle. It's important to note that while there are certain areas where molten lava is closer to the surface - there are also areas which have a strong pattern of earthquakes in comparison to other areas. One example being the Mid-Atlantic rift zone:-

http://staff.imsa.edu/science/si/horrel ... akes5.html

The EU really needs a stronger and more water-tight theory of volcanism and earthquake formation. We DO have a good idea that it is influenced by electrical forces from the sun:-
http://georgewashington2.blogspot.co.uk ... uence.html

However, the problem remains as to explaining the regional distribution of these earthquake and volcanic zones and their apparent shifts over time.

flippinrocks

Re: The puzzle of volcanism

Unread post by flippinrocks » Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 am

I may or may not have clue(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgll-XTqcS4

wow, look how bright that star is!

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Fri May 04, 2012 6:29 pm

* Flip, you apparently posted the wrong image there. The video of musical tesla coils, where the music surely isn't really being produced by the coils, doesn't seem relevant to this topic either.
* PP, Fred Jueneman has a theory that the Earth was previously egg-shaped, due to electromagnetic fields from Saturn, and when the fields diminished in strength, gravity took over, making the planet spherical. So the continents spread apart as the Earth widened at the equator and narrowed at the poles. That's why the crust is thinner under the oceans. Since the Earth continues slowly to expand or contract at the equator, vulcanism and earthquakes continue to occur, with some involvement of electrical forces.
* Earth no longer has a large planet like Saturn nearby to provide currents like those from Jupiter that intercept Io. But Mars seems to be experiencing similar currents that produce geysers near its south pole, according to one or more TPODs. I believe several moons of Saturn also experience geysers due to Saturn currents, which geysers spew material into the Saturn rings.

PersianPaladin

Unread post by PersianPaladin » Wed May 09, 2012 3:00 am

Lloyd wrote: * PP, Fred Jueneman has a theory that the Earth was previously egg-shaped, due to electromagnetic fields from Saturn, and when the fields diminished in strength, gravity took over, making the planet spherical. So the continents spread apart as the Earth widened at the equator and narrowed at the poles. That's why the crust is thinner under the oceans. Since the Earth continues slowly to expand or contract at the equator, vulcanism and earthquakes continue to occur, with some involvement of electrical forces.
That is an interesting proposition, Lloyd. Do you know where he said that?

flippinrocks

Unread post by flippinrocks » Wed May 30, 2012 5:01 am

Flip, you apparently posted the wrong image there. The video of musical tesla coils, where the music surely isn't really being produced by the coils, doesn't seem relevant to this topic either.

The photos and tesla coils show what charge particals favor, ground. The Pacific Ocean covers an entire half of the planet, coincidentally the "Ring of Fire". Everyday, the charge has to go somewhere and I'm betting the path of least resistance is enough to melt rock when consolidated, just like the volcanoe on Hawaii that spews lava continously.

Now it seems I need to point out something about music you may not have gathered.

the tesla coil on the left...is the tempo
the tesla coil on the right..replaces vocals
yes indeed, this is music and chose the song fitting our little paradigm.

I'm quite suprised at your responce overall, I like you Loyd and enjoy your posts.
wow, look how bright that star is!

pavlink

Record Number Of Volcano Eruptions In 2013

Unread post by pavlink » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:46 am

Record Number Of Volcano Eruptions In 2013 – Is Catastrophic Global Cooling Dead Ahead?
Have you noticed that this December is unusually cold so far? Could the fact that we have had a record number of volcanoes erupt in 2013 be responsible? Certainly an unusually calm solar cycle is playing a significant role in producing all of this cold weather, but as you will see below the truth is that throughout human history volcanic eruptions have produced some of the coldest winters ever recorded.
http://thetruthwins.com/archives/record ... dead-ahead

That is also an evidence of increased solar current affecting Earth ( and other planets ).
We live in a double star system.
We need to study double star systems.

Solar System as 4D energy vortex
http://files.kostovi.com/8835e.pdf

kell1990

"Earthquake lights" during Napa CA quake

Unread post by kell1990 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:07 am

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/0 ... s-twitter/

"MOUNTAIN VIEW (KPIX 5) – Several people called the KPIX 5 newsroom after Sunday morning’s magnitude 6.0 earthquake in Napa, reporting mysterious flashes of light in the sky. Witnesses said the strange phenomenon looked like lightning.

Similar flashes of light have been reported in earthquakes around the world, from Japan to Peru"...

"
Friedemann Freund, a scientist with the SETI Institute in Mountain View, said the same thing happened during Sunday morning’s earthquake. And it wasn’t a transformer blowing up or UFOs.

“What they are, are a consequence of the stresses building up deep below the earth, seven miles like in the case of the Napa Valley earthquake,” Freund told KPIX 5.

He calls the phenomenon “earthquake lights,” the quick buildup of stress that causes an electric current to flow to the surface and burst through the earth. This typically happens before or during an earthquake.

Several North Bay witnesses contacted Freund at the SETI Institute about seeing several flashes around the time the Napa quake hit. They said there was one or two seconds between each one.

The bizarre flashes were documented all over Twitter. Minutes after the quake, Keedo tweeted:

Keedo @JerelleBazemore
Follow
Everybody felt the earthquake but I'm the only one who saw the blue flashes in the sky??
6:29 AM - 24 Aug 2014

Anne Belden also saw flashes of light that looked like lightning.

Anne Belden @abelden
Follow
Saw flashes of light that looked like lightning right after earthquake, then huge green flash north of Sebastopol. #earthquake
7:33 AM - 24 Aug 2014

Freund has been studying the lights for 12 years. His team recently looked at 65 occurrences around the world over the last 400 years. Most seismologists don’t believe such things are real.

“There are things that we still don’t understand about the earth, so why not accept unusual, exceptionally unusual phenomena taking place? And the light outburst from the ground is one of them.”

I think this is one of the effects of earthquakes. Another is the release of gases from the Earth, specifically radon, that can be measured prior to the actual earthquake and could be used to assist in developing a warning system to alert residents of the affected areas. I'm also not sure that the electric currents come from the Earth exclusively; they could be coming from the atmosphere (something like a "leader") and the flashes occur when the connection is made with the grounding current.

viscount aero

Re: "Earthquake lights" during Napa CA quake

Unread post by viscount aero » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:02 pm

kell1990 wrote:
I think this is one of the effects of earthquakes.
Another is the release of gases from the Earth, specifically radon, that can be measured prior to the actual earthquake and could be used to assist in developing a warning system to alert residents of the affected areas. I'm also not sure that the electric currents come from the Earth exclusively; they could be coming from the atmosphere (something like a "leader") and the flashes occur when the connection is made with the grounding current.

Seismologists deny this exists or has a correlation to earthquakes because they do not want to have a Pandora's Box open to the likelihood that the flashes are actually part of the cause of the earthquakes--not an "effect." Seismologists want only mechanical plate tectonics to account for earthquakes, not an admixture of electrical influences upon the plates.

Because the flashes are intensely bright and blue they are exactly due to plasma discharges akin to lightning. But this must be denied in order to preserve mechanical-only plate tectonic theory. It's a shame.

I admire the scientist featured in the PR and video.

CharlesChandler

Re: "Earthquake lights" during Napa CA quake

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:15 pm

The blue color is indicative of a corona discharge in nitrogen and oxygen that were already ionized. If the air is neutrally charged, the corona will be violet-colored. So this means that there was a body of +ions near the surface. For this to happen, the surface had to be charged, and the surface charge would have been negative (since it was attracting +ions). The potential required for such corona discharges is 100 kV/m -- enough to make your hair stand on end, but not enough for an arc discharge in fair weather conditions. A very similar kind of thing occurs along the trailing edges of thunderstorms, where ionized air manufactured by the storm clings to the ground because of an induced negative charge. But in earthquakes, there isn't any charge separation mechanism in the atmosphere up to the task, so it's the other way around -- the surface gets negatively charged, and this induces a positive charge in the atmosphere. If the potential exceeds 100 kV/m, a corona discharge will occur.
Steve Smith wrote:Earth Lights

The build-up of charge across compressed rocks can cause sudden electrical breakdown. So, earthquakes could be considered a form of underground lightning. If earthquakes are underground lightning bolts, then perhaps seismic waves are the thunderclaps.
I totally agree.
Steve Smith wrote:In that case, it seems likely that the majority of energy released during an earthquake may not be from the fracturing and movement of strata, but the result of electrical energy released within the rock matrix.
Here I disagree -- I think that tectonics creates the potentials. But there is a runaway feedback loop between crustal buckling and electric currents, which is what actually causes the quake. The buckling relieves the gravity loading on the underlying rock, like a Roman arch carrying the weight that had been causing pressure at depth. This de-ionizes the underlying rock, driving a downward flow of electrons (i.e., an electric current). Ohmic heating from this current causes the rock to expand, which enhances the buckle, which relieves even more of the pressure, motivating even more current, hence the feedback loop. There is also an interplay between buckling, fracturing, and electric currents. Solid rock has a resistance of roughly 2 mega-ohms, which is way too high to allow currents, but when the rock gets fractured, the resistance drops to roughly 400 ohms, which makes the currents possible. Once the pressure exceeds the traction along the fault, a rupture occurs. There too is an interplay between pressurization and electric currents. The sustained waves of a quake are not a property of the inelastic crust, but are easy to understand if arc discharges are involved. Once the fault ruptures, pressure at depth is restored, forcing an electric current flowing in the other direction, where electrons are expelled from the re-pressurized rock. This sudden surge of current converts electrically conducting microfractures into plasma discharge channels, exerting enormous lateral pressures on the rock. So there's slippage along the fault, and then bam! an arc discharge through the rock which gives it another kick. But the sudden increase of pressure closes the microfractures, temporarily cutting off the current. If the re-pressurization causes more slippage, the microfractures will open up again, and there will be another arc discharge. In other words, it's what an EE would call a sputtering current. So each wave crest represents a shock front that had its own electro-mechanical source. The process will continue until the buckle has completely flattened out again.

And during this stage, electrons are being expelled from the depths, and thus the surface of the Earth becomes negatively charged, and it can induce a positive charge in the atmosphere, possibly strong enough for corona discharges.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms