Philosophy of Science

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

ZenMonkeyNZ

Philosophy of Science

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 pm

One of the problems with talking about science is that few people understand what science actually is – even scientists, as science is taught as a cemented system with little wiggle room for critical analysis, and little attention paid to the philosophy of thought that underpins it. A few years ago I decided to write a resource that would introduce science as a nature philosophy, examine the history of science, and explore what we really know.

I have been reading primary texts specifically for this project for around 3 years now, and have written a fair bit, but there is still a lot to do. I want this resource to be open and free. A few members here, like Gerald Pollock, expressed an interest in the idea, and I would like some help reviewing the material at some point in the near future. I have just put up a snippet online of the first section on critical thinking. If anyone is interested in reviewing more, let me know.

The project will cover critical thinking (about 40–50 pages of material), the physical sciences (physics, chemistry, cosmology, etc., about 250–300 pages) and eventually biological sciences (maybe another 200 pages).

http://danmesnage.wix.com/coming-soon-pos

ZenMonkeyNZ

Re: Philosophy of Science

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Now updated with some intro text, and I have added a little extra to the critical thinking preview.

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:10 am

Your appear to be a rhetoric miner.
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

ZenMonkeyNZ

Unread post by ZenMonkeyNZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Plasmatic wrote:Your appear to be a rhetoric miner.
In what sense - that I mine the rhetoric of others? And what sense of "rhetoric" do you mean? I definitely mine what others have said, particularly historically, in order to assess and contemplate their thoughts, and to help form a world view that I consider to be as consistent as possible. If you see this in a negative light, please let me know why.

Thanks.