Letter to the Editor of Physics Today (on THEMIS releases).

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MGmirkin

Letter to the Editor of Physics Today (on THEMIS releases).

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu May 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Here is verbatim text sent to Physics Today with relation to the THEMIS results detailing "magnetic flux ropes" connecting the Earth's auroras directly to the sun:
I wrote:To whom it may concern,
I have been following space news for the better part of two years now, and have learned quite a bit. I was quite impressed to see the high quality of two recent NASA press releases relating to the discovery by THEMIS of "Magnetic Flux Ropes" connecting the Earth's auroras directly to the sun:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/themi ... ights.html
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008 ... spring.htm

However, I have noted that they have apparently failed to make two critical connections:

1) The term "magnetic flux ropes" obfuscates the essential electrical nature of the interaction through the highly conductive, rarefied interplanetary medium (in the plasma state, as is 99% of the visible matter in the universe; not simply a "hot gas" as many press releases have mischaracterized it). As demonstrated by James Clerk Maxwell, dynamic magnetic fields have their genesis in dynamic net flows of like charged particles (electric currents). Alfvén likewise admonished that ignoring the currents that drive magnetic fields in plasma (field lines cannot be "frozen in" to plasma, as demonstrated in the lab) would set the science back some several decades.

2) The NASAs press releases also fail to acknowledge the "prior art" of and the intellectual inheritance from the pioneering scientist Kristian Birkeland, in the form of his monograph "Norwegian Aurora Polaris Expedition 1902-1903," published circa 1908, wherein he predicted precisely these kinds of (in his terms) "pencil" cathode rays directly linking the Earth electrically to the sun along magnetic field lines. In fact, his predictions were confirmed by the TRIAD satellite in 1973 when it detected large scale current sheets from and to space (currents must flow in a closed circuit). Hence, field-aligned currents now bear his name ("Birkeland currents").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkeland_current

It is my firm belief that acknowledging these two unassailable facts will put these new discoveries into their proper context and allow for a fuller understanding of the solar-terrestrial interaction and its scientific history.

As well, a tacit acknowledgment that electrical goings on do in fact occur and do in fact also have significance in the sparse plasma permeating the voids between ponderable bodies in space (akin to the contents of a vacuum tube or glow discharge tube) will allow for the opening of new vistas in space science research and a fuller understanding of the cosmos from an electrical standpoint.

Repectfully submitted,
Michael Gmirkin
I hope they'll accept my letter to the editor for either publication or as the premise for a new article... I think it's well enough sourced, though I did forget a link to Birkeland's book. C'est la vie! So, hopefully they won't have any knee-jerk reactions to it.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

junglelord

Re: Letter to the Editor of Physics Today (on THEMIS releases).

Unread post by junglelord » Fri May 23, 2008 7:22 am

I bet they sh*t there pants when they get stuff like that from the public.....
:?

If they are aware of the directed advoidance to reality and history, then they must feel like they got caught with their pants down....if they actually that obtuse and unaware, then I hope they feel ashamed for being so uniformed.

Either way it does not look good on them when an "amature" does these things. Again I use that term as scarcasm....
;)

Your no amature, and one informed and knowledgeable person. Degrees mean nothing to finding the truth.
:twisted:

Having a degree does not make one knowledgeable, only brainwashed.
:roll:
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

pln2bz

Unread post by pln2bz » Fri May 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Good letter!

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Unfortunately, I think using Wiki as a reference may discourage them.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Sun May 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Steve Smith wrote:Unfortunately, I think using Wiki as a reference may discourage them.
Well, I did receive a reply back that my submission had been "forwarded" for consideration (though, I think it was a generic "we received your letter" response). I wrote back courteously to let them know I appreciated their prompt reply and looked forward to further communication, should it be accepted for publication, or as the premise for one of their more researched feature articles. We'll see what happens.

I'll post up their note and mine once Gmail stops temporarily erroring out (again?)...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

shrunkensimon

Unread post by shrunkensimon » Mon May 26, 2008 7:10 am

I know this isn't directly related.. but i feel it is relevant in a way;

NASA (a research arm of) was caught redhanded manipulating photos released to the press, in order to directly supress a "plasma bridge" between two stellar objects. I also have my suspicions they are aware of the EU theory, and it IS being directly supressed for a variety of reasons, and not just because of the conflicting situation with the standard model (which was the case in this particular instance)

Cosmology Quest Part 3: Fast forward to 4:30 to see what im talking about (although i recommend watching the whole series, very interesting videos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rrzpeRoWsU

I wish you luck MGmirkin! Although to be brutally honest, i do not hold out much hope.. there is just far too much bias and ingrained dogma in the mainstream at present for them to accept anything to do with the EU theory.. power and money is also just far too greater factor in all of this aswell.. if there are vested interests who don't want this stuff put out, they will get it suppressed via power and money :cry:

Faderbaby

Unread post by Faderbaby » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:06 am

It's a great idea to consider writing letters to members of the press who attend NASA press conferences. Media pressure is the means to that end, as NASA is a "public" entity. I don't know about the conspiracy angle. The youTube video was good, but a photo shown un-enhanced is not a cover-up. It might be a half-truth... I think NASA has long-term tasking and some of these are newer ideas (that may have come about after what seems to be a kind of 30 year time frame that they look at and budget and plan for). I certainly wouldn't give up on NASA by any means.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Steve Smith wrote:Unfortunately, I think using Wiki as a reference may discourage them.

If it was the PhysicsForum Wiki would get the thumbs-up, but Youtube videos are definately a no-no and are prohibited on the PhysicsForum :roll:

The Wiki referance will probably be OK in context of Michael's letter :ugeek:

Tzunamii

Unread post by Tzunamii » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:20 am

Great Letter!
I'm looking forward to seeing a response.
On a side note, being an amateur doesn't denote skill, only that one doesn't get paid for doing said thing.
Amateurs are vital in that the established mainstream Cant threaten their lively hood.
I wouldn't want to be the professional Astronomer who has the epiphany, but has to eat pie because he has a Family to feed.
I really wonder how some of em sleep at night.

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am

Meant to post their response(s) sooner. Here's our dialogue to date:
On May 23, 2008, Physics Today wrote: wrote:Dear Michael Gmirkin,
Thank you for contacting Physics Today. I have forwarded your message
onto our letters editor for review.

Yours Sincerely

Paul Guinnessy
Online Editor
Physics Today
In my response, I wrote:Thank you for your prompt attention. I look forward to further communication when/if the note is accepted as a letter to the editor or as the basis for a longer article.

Sincerely,
~Michael Gmirkin
In a second reply, Physics today wrote:Dear Dr. Michael Gmirkin,

Your Letter to the Editor, shown below, arrived in my office via the Physics Today Online feedback form on 22 May 2008. I will have it reviewed for possible publication; due to volume, that process could take a few months. Your patience is requested. Also note that Physics Today typically publishes only about 30% of the letters it receives.

Once our review is completed, I will notify you of the outcome. If your letter is selected for publication, it will be edited; you will have an opportunity to review it; and it will be published, as is customary, under Physics Today’s copyright.

Thank you for writing and for your interest in Physics Today.

Sincerely,

Marty Hanna
Letters Editor
It seems they've decided to call me Dr. in the last exchange. I should probably write them to politely correct them. Though, I appreciate the compliment. :)
In a last note, I just wrote:Dear Marty Hanna,

I appreciate the timely response, and hope you are doing well (not overworked and all that). I look forward to future correspondence on the status of my submitted Letter to the Editor.

On another note, while I appreciate the compliment, I do not currently hold a doctorate. I'm simply an interested amateur observer / thinker. So, the honorific title is not required. But, again, thank you for the compliment!

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Have an excellent day!

Sincerely,
~Michael Gmirkin
Hopefully that should clear things up, gently.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

lizzie

Unread post by lizzie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Shrunkensimon said:
I also have my suspicions they are aware of the EU theory, and it IS being directly supressed for a variety of reasons, and not just because of the conflicting situation with the standard model (which was the case in this particular instance)
I not only "suspect" it but I'm positive of it. Those "in the know" KNOW all about the EU! They have known from the beginning.