Thor ! EU Science and Myths in a Marvel film !

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Phorce

Thor ! EU Science and Myths in a Marvel film !

Unread post by Phorce » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_(film)

Recommended, even if you've never picked up a comic. It was all in there. Thor, his hammer, thunderbolts of the Gods ! At one point Thor talking to a scientist says "your ancestors called it Magic, now you call it Science. Where I come from Magic and Science are combined".

The film then goes on to reiterate the mythology of the World Tree as the cosmos that we see above us. An animation based on Hubble Space Telescope images zips along plasma fields/Birkland currents connecting the "Nine Worlds", just as the EU tag line goes ... "there are no isolated islands in the Electric Universe". There's even a piece in there at the end about developing "unlimited energy" from an electrical "Tesseract" device that leads on to humanity having to be responsible for such power in The Avengers follow on movie.

So while Scientism Cultists deride Electric Universe "pseudoscience" millions flock to Marvel films enumerating exactly EU mythology themes and Science. Now that's funny ! :mrgreen:
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

viscount aero

Re: Thor ! EU Science and Myths in a Marvel film !

Unread post by viscount aero » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 am

LOL :lol:

They have to put it into a fantasy movie for it to be eked out to the public en masse.

BronzeDragon

Unread post by BronzeDragon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 pm

That's cool! Makes me want to watch the movie now. I usually avoid comic-book movies because usually they're all fighting and stuff blowing up and no substance.
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." (Douglas Adams, "The Salmon of Doubt")

+EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know

Unread post by +EyeOn-W-ANeed2Know » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Marvel has done this for years & I've mentioned about some of this before...

In the 2010 animated Avengers series episode entitled "Breakout", there was a simultaneous escape at all the main super-max prisons holding the "worst of the worst".
The most powerful & feared of the super baddies held in the Underwater facility called "the Raft" was former S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist Franklin Hall.
Hall had been tasked with recreating the Super Soldier formula that turned the 98lb. weakling Steve Rogers into the shield tossing superhero Captain America. Hall's method utilized an experimental "reactor", but his concentration on results over safety got the program cancelled. Disobeying direct orders from Col. Fury & trying to prove his theory correct, Hall pushed the reactor to maximum. It went critical causing massive damage to the base & nearly killing him. Later he discovered he'd gained what Fury called "one of most powerful meta-abilities conceivable" and became the super-villain Graviton.

Graviton finally gets his clock THOROUGHLY cleaned by a mega bolt of epic proportions from Thor.
LOL! I found it quite fitting (and supremely logical)...
Gravity bows to the ThunderBolt. :D