Exactly How Old Are Homo Sapiens?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

mague

Re: Exactly How Old Are Homo Sapiens?

Unread post by mague » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 am

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Mague,
ID = Intelligent Design, a theory based on irreducible complexity.
Ah, thanks for clearing this up.

The intelligence of the "bio nanites" (cells) collective mind is beyond our grasp indeed ;)

Orlando

Unread post by Orlando » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 am

mague wrote:

The intelligence of the "bio nanites" (cells) collective mind is beyond our grasp indeed ;)
Maybe it was not supposed to be grasped, just resonated with, the very act of thinking is a disciplined disconnection into the realm of the observer.

people are funny: they wish to see that which can only be felt and feel that which can only be seen.

Peace
Or
Teach me a fact and I'll learn; Tell me the truth and I'll Believe;
Tell me a Story and it will live in my Heart forever--

Native American Proverb

mague

Unread post by mague » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Orlando wrote:
mague wrote:

Maybe it was not supposed to be grasped, just resonated with, the very act of thinking is a disciplined disconnection into the realm of the observer.

people are funny: they wish to see that which can only be felt and feel that which can only be seen.

Peace
Or
Well... almost all of us are victims of cultural weakness's.

Mainstream says that, when we meet someone first time, our nose catches a few molecules of the other one and like or dislike the other within the fraction of a second.

We are constructed in a way that there is no way to express our cellular/molecular level without filtering it all through the speech area. Which means the words we speak are already an incomplete translation of the initial information. Even for an eloquent person its not much more as when we digitize analog music. It lack informations. The speech center is heavily influenced by culture and training and no child is able to escape the culture it was born in.

Gesture, songs/sounds and dance is actually much better to express our cellular body. I mean everybody understands a *sigh*, *ouch* or a *ewwww*. Worldwide. Its the language of the heart, the Egypt center of the wisdom.

Since we all got conditioned by our culture the only thing is to run with the masses or to recover our wholeness. This is quite binary. The proverb says: "There is no 75% pregnancy".

Old but a classic and still worth gold, because its not neo-esoteric but traditional Buddhism. Still verbal though ;) Auhmmmm... :D

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

This should rattle a few cages. Climategate would pale in comparison.

"Anatomically modern humans have been present on the Earth not just for 100,000 years or less (the orthodox version), but for millions of years, and that metal objects of advanced design have been in use at equally early periods."

http://www.henrymakow.com/forbidden_archeology.html
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am

GaryN wrote:"Anatomically modern humans have been present on the Earth not just for 100,000 years or less (the orthodox version), but for millions of years, and that metal objects of advanced design have been in use at equally early periods."
Cremo, and others, are challenging current archeological notions, and rightfully so. Unfortunately, he's not challenging the unreliable dating techniques used that render such extraordinary "findings." We, indeed, may have a very long history on this planet. But I feel that there simply may not be enough intact uncorrupted forensic evidence available to ever determine our origins and ancient past with any accuracy or reliability.
It's all about perception.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 am

There is nothing particularly original in Cremo's timescales as he gets them from the Vedantic literature.
StevenJay is correct in that the lack of an accurate dating technique is the crux of the problem. Until we get one then anybody's theory is more or less as good as anybody else's.
Makow is a nutter - plain and simple.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:56 am

I agree with the DNA results being misrepresented as to their completeness and accuracy.
Neanderthals exist today. I worked with one in the 80's, a brute of a man with a severely sloping forehead and very heavy brow ridges. We did summer work together in a slaughterhouse. He could handle a 250 pound pig like a lapdog. He also knew 11 languages and taught in a local university.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

webolife wrote:I agree with the DNA results being misrepresented as to their completeness and accuracy.
Neanderthals exist today. I worked with one in the 80's, a brute of a man with a severely sloping forehead and very heavy brow ridges. We did summer work together in a slaughterhouse. He could handle a 250 pound pig like a lapdog. He also knew 11 languages and taught in a local university.
...And was good to his mother. :)
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:03 pm

That he was :)
Over the past 37-ish years that I've believed neanderthals were "fully" human, the folks I have encountered who insist on the "neanderthals were not humans" thesis are in generally one of these camps:
1. Die-hard egocentric evolutionists, who can't believe that humans were always as intelligent as they are today.
2. OEC advocates, who can't fit the evidence for intelligent spiritual pre-Cro-Magnon humans into their local [non-catastrophic] flood scenario. This is probably a non-EU issue, so that's all I'll say about this on the forum, but I'd be happy to correspond by PM with anyone interested in taking up the discussion.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 pm

webolife wrote:That he was :)
Over the past 37-ish years that I've believed neanderthals were "fully" human, the folks I have encountered who insist on the "neanderthals were not humans" thesis are in generally one of these camps:
1. Die-hard egocentric evolutionists, who can't believe that humans were always as intelligent as they are today.
2. OEC advocates, who can't fit the evidence for intelligent spiritual pre-Cro-Magnon humans into their local [non-catastrophic] flood scenario. This is probably a non-EU issue, so that's all I'll say about this on the forum, but I'd be happy to correspond by PM with anyone interested in taking up the discussion.
No arguments from me. I'm in the Vedic camp when it comes to the longevity of 'humans'.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

courtneycoles27

Unread post by courtneycoles27 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:28 pm

hello i'm just new here! Sorry for my ignorance but what is Homo Sapiens? Thanks.....

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:48 pm

That's you, babe.

mathew

Unread post by mathew » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello folks-

found this interesting enough to toss into the mix-

l
Learn the story of how empirical and unequivocal geometric data challenging a paradigm and presented in a mainstream forum has been held back from publication by the European, Australian, and U. S. scientific communities. Learn how this data (held back since 2006) demonstrates beyond any doubt that there has been no change whatsoever in human cognitive ability for at least 400,000 years. (J. Feliks)
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~feliks/g ... index.html

and further-
The underlying premise of The Graphics of Bilzingsleben is that there has been no change whatsoever in human cognitive ability for at least 400,000 years. This statement is quite easily extended back at least 1.4 to 1.8 million years, and, in fact, to whatever point in time we choose to assign the first appearance of the genus Homo.
The wind.. in its greatest power, whirls. -Black Elk

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 pm

A note on Dating of Homo Cycles:
A new analysis of European tree-ring samples suggests that mild summers may have been the key to the rise of the Roman Empire—and that prolonged droughts, cold snaps, and other climate changes might have played a part in historical upheavals, from the barbarian invasions that brought about Rome's collapse to the Black Death that wiped out much of medieval Europe.
The researchers worked out climate information the same way. First, they compared weather records collected over the past 200 years with samples from living trees to see how temperature and moisture affected tree-ring growth. Then Büntgen and his co-authors looked at timbers from historic buildings, wood preserved in rivers or bogs, and samples from archaeological sites to push the record further back. The study used 7284 oak samples from France and Germany to see how moisture showed up in tree rings and nearly 1500 different stone pine and larch samples from high altitudes in Austria to establish a separate temperature record.
The study also showed that climate and catastrophe often line up. In the 3rd century C.E., for example, extended droughts matched the timing of barbarian invasions and political turmoil. Around 1300 C.E., on the other hand, a cold snap combined with wetter summers coincides with widespread famines and plague that wiped out nearly half of Europe's population by 1347.
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... .html?etoc

ItJustMakesSense

Unread post by ItJustMakesSense » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see! So whats left? Use your common sense right? I choose to believe Michael Cremo's theory which is all it is. He bases it somewhat in vedic knowledge. I choose to believe non materialistic cultures are probably more truthful with their history than the western cultures. I'm much more satified with this conclusion rather than the one that has been force fed to me by that wonderful Board of Education.