Neurolinguistics

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

bboyer

Neurolinguistics

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 am

Thread originally titled "Neurolinguistics and Popular Articles" and posted to the NetTalk section.

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:44 pm Post subject: Neurolinguistics and Popular Articles
OP "vk78"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned neurolinguistics in another thread, and I'd like to bring attention to it in full, here.

Why? Because language, especially written language exists as the basic and most widespread form of communication on 21st century earth -- ie. the Internet.

Mr. Thornhill has on several occasions pointed at how scientists write mainstream public-oriented articles. From a neurolinguistic standpoint, those articles contain many invalid patterns, and I will mention just two for now. I feel confident we can create an extensive list of logical fallacies produced in any number of modern popular sci articles.

1. Presuppositions -- in linguistic communication, the language behaves as one giant Presupposition. With every sentence, the participants of the communication do suppose that they know what the words stand for, even if they don't have direct perception of the phenomena the word describes.

Unfortunately, we, as human beings, should either go out and try to obtain direct perception of every possible phenomena that the written or spoken word may describe, or we must simply presuppose the assertions made in the message, as true. Few examples:

The important thing is that X... -- in this pattern the speaker asserts the importance of X, usually without any clear arbiter of that importance.

We know that... -- in this pattern, often found in popular scientific articles, two mistakes exist: First, the "We". What does "We" stand for? Just a limited number of people who present the idea. But the reader may include him/her self in the "We". Or perhaps the entire human kind. Second, the "know". Should the reader presuppose that the group described as "We" possesses direct undeniable perception stored in some memory and called "knowledge", instead of observe it as speculation, or assumption, or theory.

Everything we know about X.... -- aside to the "know", described above, this pattern sports the foul "Everything" which assumes the ENTIRETY, the population, rather than sample, of some facts.

The Black hole in the center of.... -- whoa, hold the phone! The sentence started with direct assertion. Not with "The object in the center of X, which we think is a black hole, ...". And the reader usually, automatically presupposes the factual existence of black holes.

Etc...

2. The Elusive "To Be" -- To "be" or not to "be", that "is" the question. That verb, "To Be", acts as a neuroliguistic toxin. As a verb, it can assume so many different relationship, that can imply so many different meanings.

The map does not equate to the the territory. Likewise, the language exists as a map of sorts, and it describes phenomena of perception, it implies certain relations among them, but the two (word and phenomena it describes) do not equate.

A blatant example of the fallacy of "being":

This man is a pig. -- an assertion that can have so many meanings:

1. Does he look like a pig?
2. Does he act like a pig?
3. Does he smell like a pig?
4. Does he eat like a pig?

Now, which version should we assume? Used as popular phrase, it probably describes a man that exhibits all of the above properties. But it requires presupposition that the listener knows of the phrase and its meaning.

So, what happens when someone says that:

The object X, which we see in the picture, IS a black hole.

Does it look like a black hole?
Does it behave like a black hole?
Does it affect the environment like a black hole?
Etc...

The first problem, that of presuppositions, one cannot deal with so easily. Either your readers will have direct perception of the things you describe, or they will have to suppose they understand the words.

There exists a remedy for the second problem, the problem of "Being". Using so called E-Prime, the english language without any occurence of the verb "To Be".

If you take a careful look at this post, you will notice that I did not use the verb "to be" anywhere except where describing the verb, or when quoting patterns.

And yet, you may have a feeling (most likely) that this post seems "powerful", in some way. It contains some high degree of precision not usually found elsewhere. Why? Because I did not plague your brain with additional task of having to detect the relationship between words as directed with "being", but have used verbs that directly, unambiguously put the subject and object into relation.

So, what do I wish to suggest here?

I wish to suggest that EU articles become written using E-Prime. In my opinion it will create a neurolinguistic context that should seem to the reader as more precise. Such articles should seem more trustworthy and more precise.

A psychological trick to compete with mainstream nonsense? Possibly so. :)
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Re: Neurolinguistics

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:56 am

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:47 pm Post subject:
OP "pln2bz"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to eventually deliver presentations on EU Theory and possibly even perform public relations for EU Theory. This posting appears to suggest that learning E-Prime would be useful for this. Can you recommend one or more books? Which one should I start with?
There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:57 am

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 pm Post subject:
OP "Solar"

I wondered if neurolinguistics can explain something that I considerer an oddity. And it could simply be me just being odd but...

It is the tendency, it seems, to drop the word 'Theory' from theoretical concepts. For example there was a legal battle somewhile ago in a small town over the Theory of Evolution. The citizens wanted a statement written in the front cover of a certain textbook that was going to be used to teach 'Evolutionary Theory'.

The statement read simply "Evolution is a theory; not a fact". Or something to this affect. I don't want to get into the specifics of religion v/s science so lets not go there. The whole situation ended up in court as scientist tried to defend the use of 'Evolution' as valid and proven.

I don't remember the outcome because when I heard the gist of the story my mind was made up. It seemed totally logical and point of fact objective to place a statement of truth into the cover of the textbook. Not because I'm religious but because the 'Theory of Evolution' has *NOT* been proven as a fact. It is still a theory but you can do internet searches for it using simply 'Evolution' but get better pertinent results using 'Theory of Evolution' (via google 1,700,000 hits for the exact phrase).

So I wondered, or suspected, this tendency of dropping the word 'Theory' to be a part of a process of bypassing logical or rational senses and 'neurolinguistically' imprinting what is actually a 'Theory' into the mind and language as a 'Fact' of speech and thought.. I think the same of 'Relativity', 'Big Bang', 'Black Hole', 'Dark Energy', 'Dark Matter' etc. They are not represented as 'Theories' but seem simply to be stated as terms of fact.

Would you have any suggestions as to why this may be so from a neurolinguistic point of view?

Another thing that *seems* to be prevalent, and it may just be me, is what I see as the frequent disregard of scientific 'Theories' use of words such as *may*, *could* (as in could be indicative of), *might* etc. It seems as if they are swallowed into an abyss somewhere and not counted as 'interpretive possibilities* of outcomes as opposed to 'Fact'. Instead we get 'Scientist say...', 'Scientist think...', 'According to scientist...' as if the 'Fact' has been established when it may well again have been just a 'Theory' of *possibilities* with those words overlooked.

You mentioned "a psychological trick" etc to help EU precision. I wonder *if* that same "trick" is being used in reverse on an unwitting public to foster a 'presupposotive toxification' towards accepted fact of what is actually theory??

Very interested in your thoughts on that if you have any. And of course that's all just a Theory.

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:58 am

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:33 pm Post subject:
OP "Tina"
Solar wrote: I wondered if neurolinguistics can explain something that I considerer an oddity. And it could simply be me just being odd but...

It is the tendency, it seems, to drop the word 'Theory' from theoretical concepts. For example there was a legal battle somewhile ago in a small town over the Theory of Evolution. The citizens wanted a statement written in the front cover of a certain textbook that was going to be used to teach 'Evolutionary Theory'.
I am neither an advocate of Darwinian Theory of Evolution or Intelligent Design Theory so the absence of this word stands out for me. But I have come to accept this ommission because it would have to apply it across the board to include "The Theory of Electric Universe" and so on.

The real problem is accepting that people believe any dominant paradigm
is the truth...

bboyer

E-Prime

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:04 am

Toward Understanding E-Prime:
http://www.nobeliefs.com/eprime.htm

E-Prime and Linguistic Revision, by C. A. Hilgartner:
http://www.hilgart.org/papers_html/091S196.B07.html
Quantum Psychology: E and E-Prime, by Robert Anton Wilson (an earlier version of the the above article):
http://www.rawilson.com/quantum.html
E-prime: The Spirit and the Letter, by Ralph E. Kenyon Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/gs/e-prime.html
Discovering E-Prime, by Elaine C. Johnson
http://learn-gs.org/library/elaine-eprime.htm

Books:
To Be or Not: An E-Prime Anthology, D. David Bourland, Jr. & Paul Dennithorne Johnston,
More E-Prime: To Be or Not II, by Paul Dennithorne Johnston (Editor), D. David Bourland Jr. (Editor)
E-Prime III!: A Third Anthology, by D. David Bourland (Editor), Paul Dennithorne Johnston (Editor)
Quantum Psychology , (Chapter 13) by Robert Anton Wilson

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:06 am

The Sapir-Whorf-Korzybski Hypothesis
Confusing the strong and weak views
Comment by Jim Walker

The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis (the 'Korzybski' annexation came later) claims that the structure of a language defines the way a person behaves and thinks, must surely have it wrong according to many cognitive scientists, including Noam Chomsky, Steven Pinker, and others. Although the basic hypothesis of linguistic determinism surely has flaws, one should not overly criticize the first people who began thinking about this interesting subject. After all the subject refers to a hypothesis, not a theory, and certainly not fact (yet).

Linguists today generally support either a 'strong' or a 'weak' interpretation of the hypothesis, and the leaning seems to fall against the strong interpretation. Needless to say, the subject gets hotly debated and I think many of the arguers confuse the ideas between the strong and weak interpretation. I don't claim to know the correct answer and I'll let the scientists do their thing. Stephen Pinker seems to have a solid argument against the strong interpretation (The Language Instinct). Unfortunately, he believes that Korzybski touted the strong view. I see no evidence for this at all. However, the weak interpretation (Korzybski's view) does have, and I think you will agree, an obvious effect on the way we express, or fail to express thoughts.

Regardless of how intractable our language instinct holds us to the way we think, the words and ideas of our language can't help but influence how we perform in the world. Yes, thoughts don't depend on words, but words depend on thoughts (how else do new words get into the lexicon?) If you don't have the words or symbols to describe your thoughts (regardless of how instinctive), you will simply have no way to convey them to your fellow humans. To give an obvious example, if you've never had exposure to the words and symbols of mathematics, then you can never communicate your calculations or make workable predictions about the orbits of planets, the dynamics of inertial objects, or the statistical properties of sub-atomic particles. There simply exists no way to understand the multitude of scientific problems unless you have a basic understanding of the language of mathematics. This in no way implies that a person, regardless of what language he or she speaks, does not have the instinct or the neurological means to understand mathematics.

The same goes in the opposite direction. If your parents, teachers, or clergymen taught you wrongful ideas about the world, you may end up believing in falsehoods that could affect the way you make decisions about other people. Think of all the unfounded prejudice, intolerance, and venom against fellow human beings that came out of a direct result of believed falsehoods. Consider the power of beliefs that drive us to protect these false ideas that exist nowhere except within the brain and expressed and spread through language.

To take an extreme example, imagine a person who believes that you should reject reason and live by faith (as Martin Luther did). Such a person could not perform well as a scientist, much less explain the intricacies of nature. Such intransigent software would guarantee the production of falsehoods.

In the case of Robert Wilson's article on E-prime, perhaps he could have avoided the confusion by not mentioning the Sapir-Whorf-Korzybski Hypothesis at all (of course Wilson wrote this long before Pinker et al, so lets not blame him for lack of prophetic powers). After all, the weak interpretation doesn't require it, and I think the reader will surely understand that if you don't have the words to describe your ideas, then you simply can't convey your ideas to others (at least not through language). Moreover, if you use words that convey false ideas, then you can't help but create errors in communication. Wilson's take on the Sapir-Whorf-Korzybski Hypothesis and his analogy of GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT refers to the software (the words and beliefs), and not the firmware (the language instinct). He implies a weak view of the hypothesis. In the case of E-prime, the user attempts to get rid of unnecessary and misleading words. This has nothing at all to do with changing the basic underlying structure of language. If you use the wrong words to convey your ideas, you will almost certainly guarantee wrong answers, which could lead others into believing falsehoods.

For those critics who label Korzybski insignificant, unoriginal, or accuse him with endless feckless charges, I find it amusing that the very flavor of their criticism puts them in a nakedly ill-informed position about his work. The very nature of Korzybski's non-aristotelian system puts emphasis on time-binding self-correction. Unlike religions with their circular intransigence, Korzybski's general semantics wants to gain awareness of abstractions, including its own and any errors it may produce. Korzybski more than anyone insisted that modifications, major as well a minor, must occur as newly acquired information arrives, including his own work (has Chomsky or Pinker ever made that claim?). Ironically Korzybski thought that most abstract thoughts derive from non-verbal processes. He did, after all, coin the term neuro-semantic. This very much sounds like Pinker's view to me. Surely even Pinker and Chomsky would agree that if your neurological maps (the brain's language) become damaged that mental disease can result. I would hardly find it surprising that modifying one's verbal language will not cure the problem. But can modifying one's thoughts still improve our mental lives even with the mentally handicapped? It seems that John Nash (depicted in the movie "A Beautiful Mind") did this very thing when he learned the ability to control (but did not cure) his schizophrenia. And he did this with his conscious mind alone.

For those who criticize Sapir and Whorf, please realize that the article in question refers to the Sapir-Whorf-Korzybski hypothesis. And as far as I can tell, the Korzybski addendum version refers to the weak interpretation.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Sapir-Whorf-Korzybski.htm