The BRAIN and Universal Asymmetry

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

CHiram Abiff

The BRAIN and Universal Asymmetry

Unread post by CHiram Abiff » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:56 am

http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fu ... ted/movies

Watch this video first and then I would love to discuss Dr. Jill Taylor's brief departure into the unknown and the story she returned with to share with us.
Without a doubt a powerful and astonishing revelation.

And what would an asymmetrical brain structure (that uses electron flow) reflect or suggest about an asymmetrical universe that might be structured along similar lines?
Maybe if it is all in our heads, if the universe is an illusion based purely on our 'thoughts', maybe it is time to look at our own brains more closely and apply what we learn to the bigger picture.

CHi

Plasmatic

Re: The BRAIN and Universal Asymmetry

Unread post by Plasmatic » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 pm

I sincerley think that whatever part of her brain was damaged in the stroke has not recovered . She would be wise to consult her brothers diagnosing Doctor.
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

CHiram Abiff

Unread post by CHiram Abiff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:50 am

Plasmatic wrote:I sincerley think that whatever part of her brain was damaged in the stroke has not recovered . She would be wise to consult her brothers diagnosing Doctor.
Interesting response.
Why would you suggest that?
What was it about her behavior that indicates your suggestion is valid.
The woman is an inspiration, as the applause at the end of the program indicates.

Hey without a doubt, more people should have their language centers 'whacked', to help them come about and see a different perspective.
I feel the list of experts that need to be introduced to Buford Pusser, taken behind the shed, and given a damn good whacking, is endless.
Next?

CHi

Plasmatic

Unread post by Plasmatic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:25 am

Why would you suggest that?
What was it about her behavior that indicates your suggestion is valid.
The woman is an inspiration, as the applause at the end of the program indicates.
Her use of language itself. She repeatedly speaks contradictory statements about herself in relationship to the world around her. Of course half the folks in the "new age" movement " do the same. But you add that to her behaviour and family history and.... Its a perfect example of what happens when you loose the distinct feature that makes man The rational animal he/she is.
Hey without a doubt, more people should have their language centers 'whacked', to help them come about and see a different perspective.
I feel the list of experts that need to be introduced to Buford Pusser, taken behind the shed, and given a damn good whacking, is endless.
Next?
Im gonna give you a chance to be more specific , before I respond to this statement. What are you implying by "next?" ?
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

CHiram Abiff

Unread post by CHiram Abiff » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 am

Next?
There seems to exist an endless parade of experts ... or what P.T. Barnum referred to as ... 'a sucker is born every millisecond'.
Define expert?
In the field of science...
I can use leeches to illustrate my point.

Like Jill Taylor said...she as was lucky enough to examine her brain from the inside out...
I think and feel we are lucky to have her and her experience to learn from...
Do you respect this fellow then and his observations?

"Science … means unresting endeavor and continually progressing development toward an aim which the poetic intuition may apprehend, but which the intellect can never fully grasp…"
-Max Planck
Jill Taylor has now been blessed with poetic intuition.
And it would NOT be necessary to take Max behind the shed.

CHI

Rareheart

Unread post by Rareheart » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Hiya CHI,
I have a couple of comments about this video.
First...I see the same "remarkable" aspect of this video that you see.
To call it "new age" thinking is to erroneously stereotype it...there's nothing 'new' about it.

Second, there are few "holes" in the story...but they can probably be explained by the time that has elapsed since her initial brain malfunction (too bad there's no warranty coverage...she has defective parts...of that there is no doubt.)
Hole number one: telephones only allow a short time period to dial the actual numbers...even 8 years ago. If you take too long to dial...the phone will not function...try it at home.
Hole number two: next time your in an ambulance...try to roll yourself into the fetal position. Not gonna happen while your strapped down.

OK..to address the "new age" aspects:
Is it possible her brain began to emit/secrete DMT to initiate the dying process...maybe her pituitary 'thought' "Oh, times up...release the DMT." Hence, euphoria...new agey stuff happenin' now?

I dunno...just batting the ball back to your square.

I see this thread is a couple of months old...maybe I won't get an answer.

If nothing else...I guess the video shows that recovery from a stroke (in middle age) is "do-able".

Antone

Unread post by Antone » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:30 pm

CHiram Abiff wrote:Watch this video first and then ...discuss ....

What would an asymmetrical brain structure (that uses electron flow) reflect or suggest about an asymmetrical universe that might be structured along similar lines?
Maybe if it is all in our heads, if the universe is an illusion based purely on our 'thoughts', maybe it is time to look at our own brains more closely and apply what we learn to the bigger picture.
I found this video quite interesting. For me it seems to be a perfect confirmation of my own beliefs. See the following bit that I wrote for the following thread. Of particular interest is the section on How We Learn. Although I suspect you may need to read the rest to understand it completely.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... ?f=9&t=596
This was written well before watching the video. But I think Dr. Taylor's description of her experience is pretty close to what I would have expected one to experience if all they were aware of was the holistic/irrational aspect of their mind.

Certainly, it is likely that she interpreted her experience via the framework of her own brain's architecture. So if the same thing happened to me, (or you) it is likely that we would not experience a similar dichotomy of mind. And even if we did, we would almost certainly not experience it in the same way. I think she places too much stalk in the idea that the way she experienced it represents some universal truth, rather than just a happenstance experience.

Two more things are worth noting, I think.

First, I think it is important not to suppose that the "lala land" part of the mind was a malfunctioning part... while the "rational" part of the mind represents proper functioning. Both parts of the mind are necessary to proper thinking. There have been other similar but different stories where people have suffered damage to various parts of their brain. Sometimes, the undamaged part of the brain has been the rational part, and they have still experienced a serious inability to think properly. In her case, the rational centers became temporarily disabled, but a different sort of disablement would have occurred if her "irrational centers" had become disabled. Both would leave her with only half of her mind working. And having half a working mind is a bit like trying to walk with one leg. You can still get around with one leg, but you can't really "walk".

Also, I think it is worth noting that I don't necessarily agree with her that the mind is only divided into two aspects. I believe there are a great many ways in which the mind can be divided. Emotional, and non-emotional, for instance. Many of these various divisions have some over lap, but they are not really the same thing.

smartart

Unread post by smartart » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:33 pm

The problem with powerful experience is that it is powerful. In the mundane world we KNOW we put the keys on the hall table. When they are found in the fridge, it is proof of teleportaton. The greater problem is that being alive, with a badly programmed computer running us, HURTS. Some take to alcohol, others religion and others to euphoric talks (I prefer the the talks). But in the end you just have to laugh, and hope you die laughing . . .

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Wednesday, August 06, 2008
The Brain Unmasked
New imaging technologies reveal the intricate architecture ....

A variation on MRI called diffusion spectrum imaging allows scientists to map the neural fibers that relay signals in the brain. Each fiber in the image represents hundreds to thousands of fibers in the brain, each traveling along the same path.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/21175/page1/