What do you believe in?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

elijahblackwood

Re: What do you believe in?

Unread post by elijahblackwood » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

What I find interesting about this kind of question is the multitude of answers it can yield. I think it is more rationale to investigate what we believe in to it's absolute root to see if it is actually worthy of our trust.

I've looked at many ideas over the years, but one I find unusually fascinating is the following:

http://www.fixdisease.com/i_am_that.pdf

Thanks

Elijah

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:44 am

Maddogkull1, it appears you are searching for truth and purpose in your life.

I have to thank the Big Bang Theory and the theory of Evolution for leading me to the belief that there has to be a God. The theories contradicted what I observed in nature and at age 16 I decided there has to be a God, a grand designer. I decided that “God is”. The beauty of nature couldn’t have happened by accident. At age 30 I read the Bible. It confirmed too many truths that only the designer could know. I am now 63.

Life only comes from other life (organic matter)--a plant will not grow in pure, inorganic sand. Creatures only eat plants or other creatures that eat plants. Spontaneous Regeneration (life from inorganic matter) has been discredited, but has reemerged as Abiogenesis. Science has failed for over 150 years to create life from inorganic matter. Since life only comes from other life, the first man, Adam, could only come from a living being (God) who created man fully functioning, at the same time, but separate from creatures, for a purpose. You were created for a purpose, and there is something that only you can accomplish. That’s between you and your creator.

As for why we are alive, the Bible states that “life is in the blood”. Several decades ago, the first step in First Aid was to get a person breathing. From experience we have learned what the Bible teaches, and now, the first step is to stop the bleeding.

Is there life after death? Only our bodies die. Our soul (that which makes Maddogkull1, Maddogkull1) and our spirit (that which gives us life) will be joined to a resurrected body for judgement. If you believe that God is, acknowledge that you are a sinner bound for Hell and torment, and call on God to save you, you will eventually come to the truth and accept the sacrifice Jesus paid for your sins on the cross, and be saved from torment.

The longest distance in this journey to Jesus is from your head to your heart. The mind operates on reason and logic as influenced by what we observe and experience in life. It converts what our 5 (maybe more) senses perceive into concepts, or truths, or belief systems--that in which we have faith. However, “faith without works is dead”. We must move on what we believe.

Our heart operates on emotion (e-motion). It compels us to move, to do something, to accomplish a purpose, whether it be good or evil. When the Word of God cuts us to the very quick--our heart--the Bible calls this “circumcision of the heart”. Just like physical circumcision exposes the most sensitive part of a man’s body, circumcision of the heart exposes man where he is most vulnerable. It turns a heart of stone into a heart of flesh and compels us to move on our beliefs.

Reincarnation acknowledges the hopelessly sinful nature of man. Unless you can quench your desires, your hopes and dreams, you are destined to be continually reincarnated into other life forms until you reach Nirvana--life without emotion.
jtb

Rui Soares

Unread post by Rui Soares » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:07 am

Your question is a question I've asked myself since I started reading. My father gave me a bible for kids. It had a lot of text, but I loved reading. And the Genesis started with all these questions: where did I come from, who was I, where did the universe come from? Those questions became an important part of my life and essentially a quest for meaning. What is the meaning of life?

I don't believe you can answer those questions using science alone. You can look at consciousness and find all these abnormalities that don't fit in today's predominant scientific paradigm. And you can reach an interpretation of quantum physics that puts consciousness in the center stage or not. But science is about consensus.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the origin of information. And not only regarding life. You find information in any natural process. And it's like the air you breath. You learn that their are laws in nature. And you just accept that. But why does a certain natural process follow it's law. Where is the information stored? How is it coded and decoded? Why does it have meaning? The idea that things are as they are does not satisfy me.

When you start using your own experience and consciousness as a tool, you gain an insight into the meaning of life. Into the meaning of being. Rupert Sheldrake was a brilliant student of biology. But he wasn't satisfied with the paradigm he was learning. He went to work in India and met a shaman. That experience gave him an insight into what life is. And that type of experience is not something you can pass on to others. You have to have that same experience or a similar experience to understand. It's personal.

Regarding NDE, your NDE will be a reflection of your ideas and emotions. When you leave your body, you enter a dream like world. Your ideas and emotions will shape your interpretation of your new reality. So, a being of love will be Jesus for some. And will be a being of love for others.

Everyone has an absolute nature. It's one side of a coin. Morality is based on the absolute that exists within. You are the only judge of your actions. God will not judge you. God is a concept so hard to understand... Don't make him a man. He's not. I don't have enough information to imagine, think or understand God. If you live in a sub-system, you can't understand an entity that exists on a bigger system. You lack information and even language and ideas to imagine God.

If you're looking for a consensus regarding your question... you will never find one. The meaning of life is an experience. And it's yours alone.

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:55 pm

I believe God, or godliness, is a tool used by those much more intelligent than us to grant humanity immortality. While we are all eventually doomed, even the gods, life may be carried onward by posterity. I believe that there has always been a knowledge of how to perpetuate existence, and that after we have set aside for the future what we do with the rest of our time is simply meant to pass the time. War, adventure, religion, entertainment, all of it is meant to preoccupy our higher thought processes and keep our minds off the utter meaninglessness of our existence. After all, a world full of nihilists is doomed to suicide. Perhaps the closest we have ever come to a worldwide existentialist crisis is when we attempt to create a perfect world, but now I'm just speculating.

People look around the world and point out all the imperfections as proof that there is no God, or anyone truly in control. I look around and see the controls everywhere. The knowledge of the unifying force of nature has been concealed from us. Simple psychology and peer pressure has been used to spread the theory of relativity and standard model while simultaneously shutting down any opposition. Economics, religion, war, the arts, sciences and politics have all been used to shape the face of our world, and create the perception that this is the way things have been for billions of years and this is the way they probably will be for billions more so don't worry about the past or future, live in the present. In the last 300 years or so mankind has been free to pursue his own path, as long as that path did not lead him toward knowledge of the EU or the truth about our past.

And here we are. We have advanced as far as we possibly can before discovering the nature of our existence, but even if we did it wouldn't matter because the next great celestial event is nigh upon us. I do not believe in reincarnation, but the fact that I exist now makes my fear of nonexistence melt away. I do not believe in Heaven, or a god that is 50 feet tall and can blow stuff up by looking at it or says things like "I AM GOD!" I simply believe that this is what we do on a rock that floats around a star. This is what we do to pass the time. This is what a world looks like right before it ends. This is the great and amazing final act.
We are never at home, we are always beyond. Fear, desire, hope, project us toward the future and steal from us the feeling and consideration of what is, to busy us with what will be, even when we shall no longer be.

ItJustMakesSense

Unread post by ItJustMakesSense » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 pm

This is a question I have been asking myself recently. I have questioned evolution recently and found it to be simply untrue. If you still believe in evolution I suggest you question its evidence as well. What I find is it removes spirituality from our lives and teaches us that if it isn't matter than its not there. It separates our spiritual consciousnesses from our physical being. Obviously the powers that be make sure this is what we our taught. What it does is make us not think twice about the poor behavior we exhibit or sins :roll: . Its almost as if they want us to go to hell with them :twisted: . Steering us from the gates of heaven and not going in for themselves either. Heaven could be an afterlife or the life we live in the present physical sense. I believe that if we all forgot about materialism, worked together to sustain a simple existence(food,clothing,housing,etc), lived harmoniously with the earth by meditating in orgone energy accumulators(pyramids), and built back up the importance of family while rejecting all the negativity, violence, and the improper views on sexuality that are crammed down our throat we might just find our selves in heaven. I feel that we are conscious beings that are here temporarily to experience the physical world. This physical world of matter didn't come first. It is a device for the consciousness to experience something different than what is available on the plane of conscious existence. Before questioning Darwin I had no use for a creator. Now I find myself with the need for a creator of some sort. If the creator created this it wasnt without purpose. If we are made up of more than physical matter and the soul is of another form of existence than maybe our time in the world of matter isn't all there is to it. The reality of it is now that my views on our origins have changed my views on how I should behave toward my fellow man have changed and find myself with overwhelming desire to know the truth. :o TELL ME THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 am

ItJustMakesSense wrote:"If the creator created this it wasnt without purpose."
Perhaps you answered your own question here:
ItJustMakesSense wrote:"It is a device for the consciousness to experience something different than what is available on the plane of conscious existence."
I am of the belief that existence does not come with an inherent purpose. It just is, and we just are. There is a funny post in the "New Insights and Mad Ideas" section that talks about the "Cart Before the Horse" idiom in modern science. So what came first: existence or purpose?

It is up to us to come up with a reason for our own existence, lest we succumb to the boredom of purposelessness. A nihilistic point of view is a dangerous state of mind, and if we did not have a world such as the one we have now (with obstacles to overcome) then I imagine it would be quite contagious. Even the pure spirit is capable of pondering its own existence.
We are never at home, we are always beyond. Fear, desire, hope, project us toward the future and steal from us the feeling and consideration of what is, to busy us with what will be, even when we shall no longer be.

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Atlas wrote: I am of the belief that existence does not come with an inherent purpose. It just is, and we just are. There is a funny post in the "New Insights and Mad Ideas" section that talks about the "Cart Before the Horse" idiom in modern science. So what came first: existence or purpose?

It is up to us to come up with a reason for our own existence, lest we succumb to the boredom of purposelessness. A nihilistic point of view is a dangerous state of mind, and if we did not have a world such as the one we have now (with obstacles to overcome) then I imagine it would be quite contagious. Even the pure spirit is capable of pondering its own existence.
I agree with everything you say for the most part, or at least I don't disagree with it in that individually human beings only have a purpose of their own creation.

However I have taken a keen interest in the subject of plasma based life-forms that are basically natural "AI" that forms due to the often cellular and energetic nature of plasma's.

I do not believe we individually have a purpose for our life's, however as a collective the human race does have a purpose within the natural order of the universe.

Nature doesn't create anything that isn't necessary for some form or function of maintaining balance in the universe, even small parasites are of use at limiting the population of larger parasites that could do far more damage and throw the balance off.

It isn't necessary for us to understand our purpose in life, and the question of whether that plasma based life also has consciousness does come into play and supports my personal views of 'universal consciousness'.

Basically my views are closest to the Thelemic principle of True Will - the universe does know what is best for you and will give you signs and help when you are doing what you are supposed to be doing.

But if you aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing you'll be crapped on by the universe/karma until you do bring your life into alignment with that greater purpose.

To a great extent I'm sure professor Tiller's work on the 'New Physics' of subtle energies plays into this with conscious imprinting and such.

It is up to you to find that purpose for yourself and then work towards achieving it as best you can, and if it is 'meant to be' than you will find that things will happen along your way that could greatly assist you, or hinder you if ignored/overlooked.

I have personal experience with this to some extent, to be honest my mind is still trying to come to terms with all the blatant signs and strange coincidences that have been happening lately regarding a certain decision I've been trying to come to for a long time now.

At this point I think I'm fighting that decision just because all the signs and coincidences have been tripping me out so bad, haha.

2 weeks ago I asked for a sign so blatant I couldn't deny it and 10 seconds later I saw something(meteor, ufo, plasma-based craft, or whatever) streak across the night sky and seemingly explode in a small but incredible bluish discharge with even what seemed like small clouds of plasma visible for a split second, and I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to come up with ways to deny it and dismiss it as coincidence that it happened right then.

Like all the other signs, I'd rather find reason to disbelieve than actually follow the signs, and I do believe in this stuff.

Perhaps the universe doesn't do coincidences, but finding your purpose and then achieving it is not always easy even if you think you know what you are doing. :(

Cheers,
Jonny
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

moses

Unread post by moses » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

2 weeks ago I asked for a sign so blatant I couldn't deny it and 10 seconds later I saw something(meteor, ufo, plasma-based craft, or whatever) streak across the night sky and seemingly explode in a small but incredible bluish discharge with even what seemed like small clouds of plasma visible for a split second, and I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to come up with ways to deny it and dismiss it as coincidence that it happened right then.
Jonny

So do you think that some part of you knew that in ten seconds this event would transpire, and so that part of you caused you to think of asking for a sign. This seems the most likely scenario to me. But when we follow this idea a series of conclusions occur.

There is part of you that can see a short distance into the future. This part of you can produce a thought. If it can produce a thought then it can produce physical action, which is the outcome of firing brain cells just like thought is the outcome of firing brain cells. Suely, then, you can see bad events before they happen. So why do you not get the thought and physical action to avoid the bad events.

Much of our actions come from obvious mental processes, but now we have action arising from some part that is beyond those obvious physical processes, and beyond time. It is to be noted that experiencing responds to brain cell firing and so has the chance to produce such brain cell firing, and therefore experiencing is a strong candidate to be that part of us that produced the thought asking for a sign.

Now, of course, we are just starting on a course covered by the greatest philosophers. But to consider that we are dual in nature is fraught with psychological difficulties. However, even the bible has Jesus and Christ as a duality, where Christ can be considered equivalent to experiencing. It is the biggest subject.
Mo

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Moses ~ You bring up some very interesting lines of thought and exploration, I'll have to address your post more thoroughly when I have more time.

For now on the issue of whether or not part of me could have known or had precognitive nuances to indicate that such a sign would occur shortly there after I personally believe it is a little bit of both - my thinking influences the 'universal consciousness' to a relatively small extent, and the 'universal consciousness' itself being interconnected with my consciousness alerted my subconscious mind or some part of me to the event that was about to occur.

That does bring up a very interesting question though - if it does work as such how far can one's "inner self"(for lack of better term at the moment) see into the future?

A past sign that stuck with me was a shooting star I witnessed about 5 seconds after someone connected to this decision I am trying to make left the camp fire we were having.

It was the first shooting star I had ever seen in my life, with probably hundreds of hours spent searching the night skies for them over 25 years or so(my siblings saw many while camping as kids but I never saw one and it had been a mission of mine for my whole life).

And it happened about 3 hours after I was thinking about the best case scenario for if I made the decision the way my "inner self"/'True Will' seems to be pushing me - and I scrubbed those thoughts from my head with "there's as much chance of that happening as me seeing a shooting star in my life time".

Is it possible my "inner self" could have been alerted to such an event several hours in advance?

Or did my thinking of that somehow trigger a series of events at some subtle energy level that altered the universe itself to put that shooting star straight in my line of vision at that exact perfect moment?

I didn't ask for that sign, it smacked me in the face unexpectedly at a time when I was being quite cynical of these belief's I hold and having some serious doubts, so I doubt I did anything to influence it and was likely just being influenced by it myself.

I have always had lots of so called "de-ja vu" experiences so maybe there is something that I'm more in-tuned with these days within me, my "inner self" or True Will.

I will definitely have to get into this discussion more intently when I have more time, thank you for that reply and I'll respond more directly shortly.

Cheers,
Jonny
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

moses

Unread post by moses » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 am

One wonders if de-ja vu is memory or is it produced through experiencing, or the universal consciousness if you like. And so can we have such a de-ja vu from the future.

I will not go on, but just say thanks for thinking about what i wrote, and i do hope that you comment further.
Mo

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 am

I don't have much time as I am on my lunch break at the moment but I just wanted to clarify a bit - there is no disconnect between myself the individual and the 'universal consciousness' at the conscious/energy level.

I as an individual am a component of the larger "mainframe" that is the 'universal consciousness', and my component is constantly communicating back and forth with that "mainframe", like the components within a larger computer structure.

It is through those constant interactions/communications at a conscious and subconscious level that the universe itself becomes "aware" of what you truly desire at the most primal levels, what your 'True Will' is.

Edit: I believe this is where that 'de-ja vu' phenomenon also comes in, perhaps being signals received that are jumbled or "corrupted" in some way so as to manifest themselves on a conscious level instead of remaining subconscious?

The universe then acts in accordance with your 'True Will' to assist you in achieving it, giving signs and such to point you to that correct path if you aren't already on it, directing you to happen to cross paths with other people who could help you greatly in achieving your True Will, and so on.

So you create your purpose at both a conscious and subconscious level and the universe works to assist you in achieving that purpose.

I did not mean to imply that the universe itself(conscious or not) decides for you what your purpose is and has a plan for you, it only physically creates you to serve a function within the natural order and then assists(or hinders) you in seeking your own purpose beyond that.

I'll be back later to discuss this issue in more detail, my views have evolved a bit since this thread was first brought to my attention and this is a very good subject to explore for both scientific and personal advancement in my view.

Cheers,
Jonny

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

CTJG 1986 wrote:Is it possible my "inner self" could have been alerted to such an event several hours in advance?

Or did my thinking of that somehow trigger a series of events at some subtle energy level that altered the universe itself to put that shooting star straight in my line of vision at that exact perfect moment?
It's also possible that it's merely a coincidence. If you want to see signs or believe in deja vu then you are more likely to see them. What if a rabbit hopped up to you and stared at you for several seconds, and maybe even let you approach it? That may have been your sign.
CTJG 1986 wrote:It was the first shooting star I had ever seen in my life, with probably hundreds of hours spent searching the night skies for them over 25 years or so.
While it is amazing, this has no bearing on the likelihood of spotting a shooting star at any moment in the night. My friends attended several Houston Astros baseball games growing up as children but never caught a foul ball. My first baseball game was a Houston Astros game and guess what? I caught a foul ball.

I'm not trying to shake you from your beliefs or tell you not to have an open mind. What I am trying to do is at least show you that we can misguide ourselves. Sometimes we wish the world were more amazing than it really is, or we fall headlong into something that sounds beautiful. It's important to remain objective (as much as we possibly can).

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:33 pm

I will add that I believe proponents of the EU theory, including the members that post on this forum, are a little more aware than the rest. If anyone scours the internet looking for the open-minded, the seekers of truth, and those that wish to be a part of the bigger picture... then I hope they reach out to us and let us know that there will be a place for us among their ranks when we are ready.

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Atlas wrote:
CTJG 1986 wrote:Is it possible my "inner self" could have been alerted to such an event several hours in advance?

It's also possible that it's merely a coincidence. If you want to see signs or believe in deja vu then you are more likely to see them. What if a rabbit hopped up to you and stared at you for several seconds, and maybe even let you approach it? That may have been your sign.
Although you may not believe it you are basically alluding to what I am trying to as well, though I am really bad at accurately conveying my thoughts for others to understand.

Because I believe such things are possible I will see them quite frequently, whereas someone who truly does not believe in such things may never see or experience anything they would interpret in such ways.

Everything in the universe is part of a very complex system of interconnected fields and/or processes which together act as a single entity, a "Unified Field".

The electrical processes within the human body produce fields and other "energies" that interact with other fields of objects, people, animals, the planet, the sun/solar system, etc.

Are you familiar with Professor William A. Tiller's work regarding the "New Physics" of consciousness studies?

That the conscious energy(meditating for example) of human beings can actually alter the ambient energies of a space to allow certain actions to occur more readily.

A good example would be any old, large Cathedral - those who are even slightly sensitive to 'subtle energies' automatically feel an overwhelming sense of awe and amazement upon entering - because the thoughts and prayers and worship of thousands of people over many years imprinted that conscious energy into the space itself.

A good introduction to the concepts can be found here:

CONSCIOUS ACTS OF CREATION:
THE EMERGENCE OF A NEW PHYSICS
William A. Tiller
Professor Emeritus, Stanford University

http://www.wholistichealingresearch.com ... wnload.pdf

CTJG 1986 wrote:It was the first shooting star I had ever seen in my life, with probably hundreds of hours spent searching the night skies for them over 25 years or so.
While it is amazing, this has no bearing on the likelihood of spotting a shooting star at any moment in the night. My friends attended several Houston Astros baseball games growing up as children but never caught a foul ball. My first baseball game was a Houston Astros game and guess what? I caught a foul ball.

I'm not trying to shake you from your beliefs or tell you not to have an open mind. What I am trying to do is at least show you that we can misguide ourselves. Sometimes we wish the world were more amazing than it really is, or we fall headlong into something that sounds beautiful. It's important to remain objective (as much as we possibly can).
Believe me I am all about objectivity, and I am skeptical about all of the views I hold, but some times science by itself doesn't cut it and you need something to believe in.

And although it may just sound like philosophy with no scientific backing all of my views trace back to real scientific principles, though perhaps not 'accepted'(ie "mainstream") by the establishment are based on what my base of knowledge, hands on experience and logical deduction conclude are most likely.

You can have great affect on the universe around you, although as Nassim Haramein points out the extent of your ability to influence the rest of the universe is limited by scale.

I may be able to make myself believe the red apple is blue but the red apple isn't going to turn blue because I want it to.

On the other hand the cancerous cell in my body may weaken and be beaten just because I truly believe it is not going to beat me and I can defeat it and my immune system is bolstered by that conscious energy directed in it's support.

I know a few cancer survivors, or now deceased individuals who went through numerous battles with cancer and passed do to non-cancer issues - all of them were 100% certain they would beat it, all of them did/are, some without any chemo or other non-natural cancer treatments.

You can affect the universe, and vice-versa(to a much greater extent of course).

Whatever you believe is true is what the universe will show you and tell you is true, for you.

I may not agree with the way you think the universe works but I do believe that for your mind's eye the universe works exactly as you believe it to.

Our mind is our primary connection to the rest of the universe, the 'unified field" or whatever you call it, and the mind still remains a very big, mysterious beast in many respects so I claim to know nothing.

But what I have experienced makes me believe what I have put forward here, even if I remain skeptical of those views myself to some extent.

Cheers,
Jonny

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 pm

CTJG 1986 wrote:Whatever you believe is true is what the universe will show you and tell you is true, for you.

I may not agree with the way you think the universe works but I do believe that for your mind's eye the universe works exactly as you believe it to.
Right, but all the philosophy aside I'm not trying to find what is true for me, you or anybody else. I'm simply trying to find out what is true, and I do believe in an absolute truth. The way things came to be, or, if there is no beginning (which I don't believe there is), then the way things continue to be.
CTJG 1986 wrote:A good example would be any old, large Cathedral - those who are even slightly sensitive to 'subtle energies' automatically feel an overwhelming sense of awe and amazement upon entering - because the thoughts and prayers and worship of thousands of people over many years imprinted that conscious energy into the space itself.
Or the person released their own energy. A drug abuser can release a small amount of neurotransmitters simply be recalling doing drugs, or seeing or hearing something that reminds them of their drug of choice. Perhaps something closer to what you are talking about would be a cathedral filled with a throng of people, all in an high-spirited form of worship. You can definitely feel the energy of the people, and sometimes you can't help but be drawn into their state of mind. Entropy would have dispersed any energy released in the area of the cathedral over time. Again, there are alternate explanations for all sorts of phenomena.

I don't know why I care enough to debate these things over the internet. It's not like we'll change each other's mind, right?