What do you believe in?

What is a human being? What is life? Can science give us reliable answers to such questions? The electricity of life. The meaning of human consciousness. Are we alone? Are the traditional contests between science and religion still relevant? Does the word "spirit" still hold meaning today?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

moses

Re: What do you believe in?

Unread post by moses » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am

True will.
Given that we are a duality then what is true will. We want something - is this through the self or is it the universal will acting through experiencing. We may have a structure of beliefs that produce action or the desire to produce certain action, but this action will always be in conflict with the action derived from the universal energy, simply because action produced from the self hinders action arising from the universal energy through experiencing.

We may think that by creating a mind that is 'good' we are producing action that is in harmony with the universal will. Whereas building such a mind only hinders the possibility of action arising from the other half of our duality which is beyond mind. There is technological action which arises from the self which may be useful to the universal will, but decisions of significance would be best produced by the universal will.

But there is a source of action that is different from that built mind of the self and the universal will, but this source is still part of the self. It is the reason that 'good' people produce bad action. It is past events that affect our actions now. Usually highly emotional or painful events that we or our ancestors have undergone. This needs to be realised so as to understand the source of our actions. And this is particularly significant to this group due to the impact past calamities and survivals have on us now.
Mo

Atlas

Unread post by Atlas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, Moses, but let's avoid derailing the conversation into philosophical muddle. The title of the thread reads, "what do you believe in?" The author narrows the topic down to the origins of life in his original post.

It's not that I'm trying to be rude, but I actually want to have a discussion on this with others. Feel free to pick apart my posts, as I shall do the same with yours. I think a little banter and heated debate will liven this place up a bit.
We are never at home, we are always beyond. Fear, desire, hope, project us toward the future and steal from us the feeling and consideration of what is, to busy us with what will be, even when we shall no longer be.

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

moses wrote:True will.
Given that we are a duality then what is true will. We want something - is this through the self or is it the universal will acting through experiencing. We may have a structure of beliefs that produce action or the desire to produce certain action, but this action will always be in conflict with the action derived from the universal energy, simply because action produced from the self hinders action arising from the universal energy through experiencing.

We may think that by creating a mind that is 'good' we are producing action that is in harmony with the universal will. Whereas building such a mind only hinders the possibility of action arising from the other half of our duality which is beyond mind. There is technological action which arises from the self which may be useful to the universal will, but decisions of significance would be best produced by the universal will.

But there is a source of action that is different from that built mind of the self and the universal will, but this source is still part of the self. It is the reason that 'good' people produce bad action. It is past events that affect our actions now. Usually highly emotional or painful events that we or our ancestors have undergone. This needs to be realised so as to understand the source of our actions. And this is particularly significant to this group due to the impact past calamities and survivals have on us now.
Mo
Indeed, memory ingrained in our DNA and our collective consciousness certainly plays a role in the development of every aspect of human life, I believe I heard a while back some new research showed pregnant woman may be able to affect the physical appearance and such of unborn children in their wombs by thinking about it a lot(like meditating).

I'm not sure how much so I believe that, I'm sure at least a little influence could be there but I doubt they'd be able to facilitate any significant alterations to the natural order of things.

But what is memory? Is it in our DNA or in our consciousness?

There are no pictures engraved in the biological material that makes up our minds, our memories are contained in the electrical processes within our brains.

And every time a discharge sparks in your brain causing a memory, a thought, a smell, or whatever, if only for a brief moment that energy would produce fields and such that would interact with the other foreign and/or 'ambient' fields in proximity to you.

So every brain wave/impulse is a transfer of information mutually between yourself and the 'universal consciousness' or 'unified field' or whatever you want to call it.

I do believe that every human being at least at a psychological level has an inherent duality, and I have admittedly been struggling with mine for quite some time.

But that duality is of 2 parts of a single whole, and the Sum of the whole is balance - two forces opposing each other in harmony.

One must embrace their duality, the positive and negative, in order to prevent succumbing to it. And fear is the greatest hindrance to embracing that duality.

That is something I'm still working on, I've gone from one extreme of my duality to the other end at numerous times in my life, often rather quickly, and real balance is something I'm still working towards.

If one can find that balance they will find their purpose in life, simple as that.

Cheers,
Jonny

*Edit: Showed pregnant women, not showered... :oops:
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.

moses

Unread post by moses » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:13 am

There are no pictures engraved in the biological material that makes up our minds, our memories are contained in the electrical processes within our brains.
Jonny

Brain cells change in the formation of long term memory, so there is a physical aspect to memory.

And every time a discharge sparks in your brain causing a memory, a thought, a smell, or whatever, if only for a brief moment that energy would produce fields and such that would interact with the other foreign and/or 'ambient' fields in proximity to you.

So every brain wave/impulse is a transfer of information mutually between yourself and the 'universal consciousness' or 'unified field' or whatever you want to call it.
Jonny

See I use 'self' to describe that part that originates the brain cell discharge, ie the part which produces the nerve impulses. The actual experiencing, such as a smell, I do not call part of the self. Thus the basic duality is 'self' and 'experiencing'. This is because experiencing is part of the universal consciousness. Whereas you are descibing 'yourself' to be both my 'self' plus 'experiencing'. Thus you are owning experiencing rather than regarding it as part of the universal consciousness. Experiencing is of a completely different nature to the 'self'.

I do believe that every human being at least at a psychological level has an inherent duality, and I have admittedly been struggling with mine for quite some time.

But that duality is of 2 parts of a single whole, and the Sum of the whole is balance - two forces opposing each other in harmony.
Jonny

A clear understanding of the basic three-fold source of action is required. Standard memory, traumatic memory and experiencing. I must stress this.
Mo