Is Earth really Spinning?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jtb

Re: Is Earth really Spinning?

Unread post by jtb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I apologize Kevin. It was electro's comment.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Electro wrote:You're serious? And is the Earth also flat?
jtb wrote:
What is a creationist?
Meaning people who believe the universe was created by a god and that the Earth is the center of everything.
Hi electro: Yes, I'm serious. If Earth at one time was a single continent, how do you think it would look from above? Is it possible for that single continent to have been twisted and separated into its present spherical shape?

According to your definition, I'm not a creationist. I believe that the universe (a place to put man) was created by God. God is a Spirit. He also created Earth, a greater and a lesser light, and the stars also. The EU has some great threads on how planets and other heavenly bodies were formed from the stars.

I don't believe that Earth is the center of everything. I believe that people on or above Earth are the center of everything. There is something that only you can accomplish. You are significant and created for a purpose. Earth is the only place in the universe where you can survive to accomplish your purpose, and, incidentally, I do believe that Earth is at the center of a spherical universe.

What is the universe, how and for what purpose do you believe it came into existence, and does your universe have boarders and a center?

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:57 pm

jtb wrote: Hi electro: Yes, I'm serious. If Earth at one time was a single continent, how do you think it would look from above? Is it possible for that single continent to have been twisted and separated into its present spherical shape?

According to your definition, I'm not a creationist. I believe that the universe (a place to put man) was created by God. God is a Spirit. He also created Earth, a greater and a lesser light, and the stars also. The EU has some great threads on how planets and other heavenly bodies were formed from the stars.

I don't believe that Earth is the center of everything. I believe that people on or above Earth are the center of everything. There is something that only you can accomplish. You are significant and created for a purpose. Earth is the only place in the universe where you can survive to accomplish your purpose, and, incidentally, I do believe that Earth is at the center of a spherical universe.

What is the universe, how and for what purpose do you believe it came into existence, and does your universe have boarders and a center?
I wasn't sure you were serious. I didn't mean no disrespect. I'm an atheist, so I don't think religion and science go very well together. Look what resulted from Georges Lemaître's nonsense, a catholic priest... That's what happens when you mix religion with science. The hundred year-old Big Bang delusion... :)

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:30 am

Electro wrote:I wasn't sure you were serious. I didn't mean no disrespect. I'm an atheist, so I don't think religion and science go very well together. Look what resulted from Georges Lemaître's nonsense, a catholic priest... That's what happens when you mix religion with science. The hundred year-old Big Bang delusion... :)
Electro, you are correct to question everything, including the existence of God. That means as an atheist, you have studied the evidence displayed in nature and the Bible and made a decision. Agnostics do neither, and, despite the evidence, never make a decision. The Bible calls that the spirit of unbelief. You stepped out, made a decision, and believe something.

Religion originated as a Roman oath or vow to the pagan gods. Religion is adherence to a system of beliefs held by an organization of like-minded people, whether pagan or Christian. This blog is an organization of like-minded people and you can be excommunicated for abusing their rules. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is to comfort orphans and widows. Feeling alone is worse than any physical affliction.

Incidentally, Father Lemaitre was a school trained scientist that happened to be Catholic.

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:35 am

jtb wrote:Electro, you are correct to question everything, including the existence of God. That means as an atheist, you have studied the evidence displayed in nature and the Bible and made a decision. Agnostics do neither, and, despite the evidence, never make a decision. The Bible calls that the spirit of unbelief. You stepped out, made a decision, and believe something.

Religion originated as a Roman oath or vow to the pagan gods. Religion is adherence to a system of beliefs held by an organization of like-minded people, whether pagan or Christian. This blog is an organization of like-minded people and you can be excommunicated for abusing their rules. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is to comfort orphans and widows. Feeling alone is worse than any physical affliction.

Incidentally, Father Lemaitre was a school trained scientist that happened to be Catholic.
I did read many books, and watched debates featuring popular atheists like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins.

I could give you hundreds of reasons why I don't believe in any god. I used to be a Christian when I was a kid, as my mother would force me to go to Church hoping to save my soul from eternal damnation. Later, as a teenager, I became a deist, as I didn't agree with Christian views. A few years after that, it only became pointless. Too much evidence, for me anyway, that it was all a scam coined by ignorant desert dwellers who were afraid of what they did not understand at the time.

I don't think this is the place to be discussing this though. I did join many debates on the subject on other forums. And, one thing is always certain. An atheist will never convince a religious person because his/her belief is conveniently based on faith. And you can't argue with faith, ever. And of course, it goes both ways.

So, respectfully, this discussion is pointless, and this forum wasn't intended for religious discussions.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:10 am

Do I have to start deleting posts and/or locking threads?
There are plenty of sites on the web where those so inclined can engage in theological discussions. This forum is not one them.
Please review the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:04 am

nick c wrote:Do I have to start deleting posts and/or locking threads?
There are plenty of sites on the web where those so inclined can engage in theological discussions. This forum is not one them.
Please review the Forum Rules and Guidelines.
And I did make that remark in my last sentence above... ;)

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:46 am

I can't get past assuming that Earth is stationary as long as I can balance a raw egg on its sharp end for 30 minutes and that astronauts can't keep their balance while on the moon, which we know is moving. The same law of physics applies to both.

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:43 pm

jtb wrote:I can't get past assuming that Earth is stationary as long as I can balance a raw egg on its sharp end for 30 minutes and that astronauts can't keep their balance while on the moon, which we know is moving. The same law of physics applies to both.
On Earth, the atmosphere is turning with it. The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth. So, it makes a complete turn in about 27 days. Not fast enough to throw the astronauts to the ground... Lower gravity is what's making the astronauts lose their balance.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles ... oubles.htm

Not only the Earth is rotating on its axis at 1600 km/h, but it's also orbiting the Sun at around 108 000 km/h. The whole solar system is traveling through the galaxy at 70 000 km/h. Confused yet? :) ;)

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Electro wrote:On Earth, the atmosphere is turning with it.
Then an airplane traveling from the equator to the N Pole would have to constantly change its direction to fly in a straight line. That doesn't happen.
Electro wrote:The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth. So, it makes a complete turn in about 27 days.
Glue the feet of a toy horse to the edge of a lazy Susan. In one orbit you will see all four sides of the horse. From the center you will only see one side of the horse. The horse is orbiting but not rotating on its axis: its feet are glued.
Electro wrote:Not fast enough to throw the astronauts to the ground... Lower gravity is what's making the astronauts lose their balance.
The moon orbiting at 2,286 mph in a curved path may throw them off a little also.
Electro wrote:Not only the Earth is rotating on its axis at 1600 km/h, but it's also orbiting the Sun at around 108 000 km/h. The whole solar system is traveling through the galaxy at 70 000 km/h. Confused yet?
And the solar system traveling toward the constellation Leo, the Milky Way galaxy rotating in the local cluster of galaxies rotating about the super cluster of galaxies in a universe expanding faster than the speed of light. I don't think so, unless we live in a superdupper supernatural universe.

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:17 pm

If NASA says the Earth and other planets are rotating, that's good enough for me. After all, they only sent a probe to Pluto, so who are they to tell us the Earth is rotating... :roll:

Electro

Unread post by Electro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 pm

jtb wrote:in a universe expanding faster than the speed of light.
The EU doesn't believe the universe is expanding, and neither do I.
jtb wrote:I don't think so, unless we live in a superdupper supernatural universe.
Didn't you say you believed in the supernatural... :) ;)

chrimony

Unread post by chrimony » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Electro wrote:If NASA says the Earth and other planets are rotating, that's good enough for me. After all, they only sent a probe to Pluto, so who are they to tell us the Earth is rotating... :roll:
But can NASA balance an egg on one end? Checkmate, NASA!

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:10 am

Electro wrote:The EU doesn't believe the universe is expanding, and neither do I.
The title is confusing because I was having computer issues at the time. http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... 10&t=14495
chrimony wrote:But can NASA balance an egg on one end? Checkmate, NASA!
Sure NASA can balance a raw egg on its sharp end. Earth is stationary. If Earth is moving in a curved path, which law of physics exempts a raw egg balanced on its sharp end from falling over?

I wonder if they could do it on the space station? It seems like those guys and gals up there are always moving around. It would also be a good experiment the next time we go to the moon. Thanks for the ideas Chrimony.

chrimony

Unread post by chrimony » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:12 am

jtb wrote:Sure NASA can balance a raw egg on its sharp end.
Darn, NASA can match your feat. We need a way to settle this. Can jtb or any of the experts that he places so much faith in show the physics behind sending a satellite to Pluto where the Earth is "stationary" and not rotating? I mean, NASA might have just gotten lucky sending a man to the Moon using the standard Newtonian model, but Pluto would probably take a bit more luck...