How does a homopolar generator work? (really)

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

D_Archer

How does a homopolar generator work? (really)

Unread post by D_Archer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:51 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator

From the article:"There is a subtle difficulty in this explanation, which often leads to a misunderstanding of how the machine works. The key word in the preceding paragraph is velocity, which prompts the question, "velocity relative to what?". If the velocity relative to the magnet is assumed as the cause of the Lorentz force, then the explanation contradicts special relativity, which states that it is impossible to tell whether a uniform magnetic field is moving or stationary. This assumption would also imply that rotating the magnet and not the disc would cause a current to flow, which is not what experimenters have found.

The correct interpretation of the velocity of the electron is that it is relative to the static parts of the machine, which are the sliding contacts and the circuit to which they are connected. In the language of special relativity, these objects act as the 'observer'. It is the velocity of the electron relative to these components that causes it to experience the Lorentz force.
(bold added)

^^^^
This wiki page does not provide an adequate answer to my question, the call for special relativity to answer this question is strange to me. I guess common physics theories are unable to explain where the energy comes from (exactly). And how is the latter explanation 'correct'?

I know the working only as the conversion of mechanical power into electrical. If a person rotates the disk by hand, the energy comes from the food you ate and from the sun that grew the food. But how does the mechanical energy translate into electrical energy? Im looking for a coherent, down to the building blocks of matter explanation (electrons/magnetic field).

I think this a good excercise for numerous TOEs on this forum. So if any advocate of such theories could explain it to me...

Kind regards,
Daniel

ps. I was also thinking that if the true workings of the homopolar generator are unsderstood, that this would be a direct refutation of special relativity, but this would depend on the answers given.
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

junglelord

Re: How does a homopolar generator work? (really)

Unread post by junglelord » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Its my understanding that the magnetic field does NOT move in relation to the magnet. Thats due to my understanding of Aether Physics. Aether is a rotating magnetic field with a quantum spin of 2. It is the force field bt two magnets. I will say that again, the Aether is the magnetic field felt between two magnets.

http://www.16pi2.com/magnetic_scalar_waves.htm

If you have a CRT monitor, a magnet, and a means for degaussing your monitor, you can perform a simple experiment to see what magnetic flux density means. Place a magnet near the monitor and observe the circles (some older monitors show lines due to a different electron gun configuration) caused by the magnetic flux tubes cutting through the plane of the screen (the circles are ovals when the flux tubes cut at an angle). The smaller circles occur nearest the magnet, which indicates the magnetic flux density is higher. The flux tubes diverge as they get further from the magnet, thus as flux expands it decreases the amount of magnetic flux per area.

If you rotate the magnet on the screen, the field does not rotate...try it, you will see it is stationary.

Thats the first thing I would state. Aether is a RMF, quantum spin of 2, it is the force felt between two magnets, it does not move in relation to the magnet.

The power for the Faraday disc, comes from the Scalar field. Not special relativity.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

Corpuscles

Re: How does a homopolar generator work? (really)

Unread post by Corpuscles » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 pm

Pls forgive my non scientific language , non expert, contribution.

Faraday' paradox is for me one of the most bizarre aspects of physics, as MOREOVER is the absolute minimal intense study devoted to magnetism.

1. The oft quoted "Conservation of Energy" fundamental highlights the following

The power or energy contained or displayed in a permanent magnet IS NOT inside that matter.

It is a reciever which is "tuned" to interact with an external source.

As we all know modern industry can produce astoundingly powerful magnet to mass ratios.
This is achieved via an industrial process (worthy of research) which imparts the "energy" to an alloy .Heated and compressed then sintered to change crystaline structure, but ultimately "empowered" or magnetised by a very short duration high voltage low current coil charge.

Calculate the inputed "energy" compared to the almost perpetual or long lasting "resultant energy" and it cannot possibly be so!, unless magnet is drawing "energy" from an external source......Yep the aether!

2. Given the above "hypothesis".

a. Rotating a conductive disc in a uniform magnetic field is cutting the lines of interaction of magnet with the external medium. Current results

b. Rotating a magnet is dominating the external medium when conductor is stationary

With great respect I do not like the PC monitor analogy^.
Our measuring instruments only show the interaction of magnetic field with magnets they do not and cannot map it accurately.

Rotating or not if the plane of the pole is maintained then there is no difference to the way the "external medium"interacts with it . It does not care, which part or point ,of say North pole, it intereacts with they are all the same to the "external medium".

Therefore no net movement of magneic lines of flux.NO current

c.Rotating both together..means the conductor is moving... relative to the still stationary magnetic lines of flux.

3. Science has developed theories ... back to front

Primitives noticed static "electricity". Volta noticed his stack produced it. Faraday (GENIUS action man) investigated it. Maxell et al called it electro-magnetic.... it ought have been Magno-electric!

The "chicken" in this case is primary and comes before the "egg"

4. Chemistry developed the same way

Rutherford Bohr model made up electrons and protons and neutrons. They concentrated on the more mystical and observable "electric" dipole... rather than the magnetic field flux interaction that create the "imagined entities".
It "sort of" worked to explain observations.There were some " glitches & gotchas" QM decided there must be more to it! They are still smashing unknown things together trying to find out what it is and calling them all nice little "Christian names"!!

It is like a map of New York.. it will tell you lots about New York... but it aint New York!

IT IS ALL WAVES!...(MAGNETIC WAVES) ...matter is the interaction of a "side bi-product "of the universal fundamental constant.. the aether!

5. Electricity is NOT a flow of electrons.. if it is... then explain AC!!!

Electricity is a bi-product of magnetism not fundamentally the reverse.. although that mistake is a forgivable observation

Again I apologise :| ..please mods ...delete this rather than send thread to the "Mad House".I have no right to interject but I think this subject is bloody interesting!