What are cosmic rays?.

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

qiyue

What are cosmic rays?.

Unread post by qiyue » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 pm

The base structure of all things is the atom. Atoms are full of movement, both internally (electrons orbiting the nucleus) and externally (interacting with other atoms). This movement creates kinetic energy that is measured in electron volts (eV). The atoms of the air we breathe move as fast as cannonballs and generate around 0.03 eV. They bounce into other atoms of air but, like bumper cars at a fairground, they don’t do much harm to each other.

Elsewhere we find atomic particles moving much faster than this, which create more heat and more energy. Electrons within the Sun’s plasma have up to 10,000 eV, and protons in the magnetosphere are higher still, in the range of 10 - 100 million eV. The atomic particles in the magnetosphere move at speeds of 400-800 kilometres per second.

This is all rather calm relative to the greater universe. Bombarding the Earth from light years away are the ions we call cosmic rays. They can move close to the speed of light and can pack a walloping 50 joules of kinetic energy (3 × 1020 eV). That’s the power of a cricket ball moving at 160 km/h, packed into the size of a sub-atomic particle.

Most cosmic rays are the nuclei of atoms (protons), ranging from the lightest to the heaviest elements in the periodic table. The lightest elements are the most common, with hydrogen (89%) and helium (10%) dominating, along with other light elements (lithium, beryllium and boron). A few will be medium elements like carbon or oxygen, with heavier elements becoming less and less common. This is a similar relative abundance to the elements within our solar system.

mharratsc

Re: What are cosmic rays?.

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:23 am

I think it would be important to differentiate between vibrational energy and inertia in your description.

Also, it should be noted that electric fields are the predominant accelerators of ions. :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

The Great Dog

Re: What are cosmic rays?.

Unread post by The Great Dog » Tue May 17, 2011 8:17 am

There are no other dogs but The Great Dog