The Interconnected Sun Part Two

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

MattEU

The Interconnected Sun Part Two

Unread post by MattEU » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 am

immense

jjohnson

Re: The Interconnected Sun Part Two

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm

The most amazing and powerful and persistent disconnect switch in the Solar System must be the one between those quoted by Steve in his TPOD as asking,
How do CMEs accelerate to 75,000 kilometers per second or more?
and physicists who routinely accelerate particles to a very high fraction of the speed of light using electric currents to operate them and electric fields to accelerate them and magnetic fields to guide them

Doh!

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Great presentation.
However there is a fundamental revision that needs to be made in the description of the standard model for convective weather. It is the effect of insolation on the earth's surface, not the atmosphere, that forges the standard model. In the SM, the atmosphere is mostly transparent to the effects of the sun. The rest of the article makes a nice case for the EU, but we don't wish to [inadvertently?] set up straw men in our attempts to persuade.
Correct me if I misunderstood what I read.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Web may be right, I dunno- but that article was masterfully written. That's the kind of article that could be posted where mainstreamists could read it, and there would be no way that they could argue 'pseudo-science' or any of that garbage.

Those graphics were amazing, too! Never saw those before! :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

BABOafrica

movie on solar wind particles

Unread post by BABOafrica » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:37 am

I'm a new member to the forum. Just joined yesterday. I've been following this issue for many years and have read all the thunderbolts books, plus many others related to it.

Today I just want to know more about the movie (cf Interconnected Sun Part One: "movie of the electrically active solar wind particles interacting with Earth's plasmasphere). It is fantastic.

I want to know where it came from. Plus I have several questions:

I have no idea, for instance, why the field lines (representing the magnetosphere) are being "pushed back". I would like someone to explain what it represented by this aspect of the graphic.

Another feature I could not understand is why a plasma glow appears as the "camera" begins to "zoom in" on the earth. (This glow appears on the "leeward" side of the "solar wind".) Does this imply that there's a plasma glow out there that we can see if we look in that direction?

Finally, I think the movie needs some kind of voice over to explain what we are watching in the movie. The movie is good. I would simply like to see it made more intelligible to people like myself who do not understand all the details.

Many thanks, especially to Steve, for all the work. And I would add that the article itself was excellent.
In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am

I am interested in well-documenting the 75,000 km/s CME speed mentioned here. But so far I can find only a small fraction of that. For instance see figure 2 here: http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-4357/673/1/L95/fulltext

Respectfully submitted,
Dotini

CTJG 1986

Unread post by CTJG 1986 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Dotini wrote:I am interested in well-documenting the 75,000 km/s CME speed mentioned here. But so far I can find only a small fraction of that. For instance see figure 2 here: http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-4357/673/1/L95/fulltext

Respectfully submitted,
Dotini
It can be tricky finding info on the January 2005 events, for starters they have been classified as flares or solar energetic particle(SEP) events or GLE's rather than as CME's - since despite having all the characteristics of a CME they say it just isn't possible for a CME to go that fast thus it must not be a CME... :roll:

Searching Google or another search engine for 'GOES class X 3.8 flare January 2005 NASA' turns up the best results that I have seen so far for the event on the 17th mentioned in the TPOD.

But the most energetic event took place on January 20th, a 'class X 7.1 flare', SEP, 'ion storm' or GLE(ground level event).

http://sxi.ngdc.noaa.gov/sxi_greatest.html

If you go down to the section labeled "January 2005 -- Martin Luther King Storm" you will find this:
X-rays from the January 20th X7.1 flare began to arrive at 0636 UT, enhanced energetic ion levels began at 0650 UT. Therefore, the fastest ions traveled the Earth-Sun distance (150 million km or 93 million miles) in approximately 22 minutes, indicating a speed approximately 40% that of light.
40% of the speed of light is approximately 120,000 KM/s.

Not sure if any of this is of interest to you but some more misc info on the events is available from these (and more) sources:

Space Weather Aspects of the January 20, 2005 Solar Energetic Particle Event -
http://www.srl.caltech.edu/ACE/ACENews/ACENews87.html

Wave Phenomena Associated with the X3.8 Flare/cme of 17-JAN-2005 -
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2005ESASP.600E.144T

Timing of the relativistic proton acceleration responsible for the GLE on 20 January, 2005 -
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2005ICRC....1..233S

Jonny
The difference between a Creationist and a believer in the Big Bang is that the Creationists admit they are operating on blind faith... Big Bang believers call their blind faith "theoretical mathematical variables" and claim to be scientists rather than the theologists they really are.