Gold, Glamour and Destruction

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

D_Archer

Gold, Glamour and Destruction

Unread post by D_Archer » Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 am

This was really an enjoyable well written TPOD. The history of it all previously unknown to me. Excellent work.

There is however a small typo in the subtitle: "Could the Carrington Event of 1859 have had broader effects that originally assumed?" Should be 'than'.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2011/ ... 02gold.htm

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

webolife

Re: Gold, Glamour and Destruction

Unread post by webolife » Mon May 02, 2011 6:01 am

I've wondered whether the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 was a similarly caused space weather event just about one solar cycle later than the 1859 Carrington catastrophe? There was a thread a while back exploring the electric cometary hypothesis for this event...
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 am

Heya Webo,

There's more than just a thread on it:

The Comet and the Chicago Fire (1)

The Chicago Fire (2)

The Chicago Fire (3)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Tue May 03, 2011 1:35 am

webolife wrote:I've wondered whether the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 was a similarly caused space weather event just about one solar cycle later than the 1859 Carrington catastrophe?
Comet Biela fragmented in 1845 (14 years prior to 1859) and these fragments are speculated to have hit Earth in 1871 (12 years post 1959) causing the Chicago, Wisconsin and Michigan fires/electrical chaos. Probably no correlation with solar cycles.

Panel chairman Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center comment on Solar Cycle 24:
"The great geomagnetic storm of 1859, for instance, occurred during a solar cycle of about the same size we’re predicting for 2013."
But I don't know if this predictions has been revised in view of sunspot levels being out of kilter these days.
Anyway, let's hope the predictions are wrong:
A recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause $1 to 2 trillion in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to ten years for complete recovery. For comparison, Hurricane Katrina caused "only" $80 to 125 billion in damage.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc ... rediction/

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 am

But think about this... if Biela fragments came within the vicinity of Earth at the same time as a peak solar cycle, there might be dramatic cumulative electric effects... n'est-ce pas?
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Thu May 05, 2011 5:41 am

webolife wrote: if Biela fragments came within the vicinity of Earth at the same time as a peak solar cycle, there might be dramatic cumulative electric effects...,
OK webolife, if you really want to be a :ugeek: research Rudolf Wolf and Solar Cycle Records dating back to the period you are interested in (1859/1871)