Seeing Things—In the Sky Part One

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

biknewb

Seeing Things—In the Sky Part One

Unread post by biknewb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:17 am

This TPOD asks "Where does the idea of constellations come from?"

Ever since studying astrology, I have this rather simplistic idea about the origin of constellations.
I don't know if I may even mention astrology in these pages, but picture an astrology teacher at the dawn of our civilisation trying to explain to students how the sky is divided in twelve sectors, each with its own character.
One day he thinks of a briliant study aid: in every sector of the heavens he looks for groups of stars able to serve as a reminder of the astrological character of that sector and assigns meaningful names to them.
So instead of having to use complicated calculations to convey the location of a planet in a certain sector, it was easier to say for instance: "The Moon is in Pisces". Instant communication.

Frequently the argument is used against astrologers, that the constellations have moved considerably since it was invented. If just the twelve sectors seen from Earth are important, the position of the stars themselves would not be vital for astrology to work (or work not) in the same way as always. Only the convenient study aid has been ruined through time.

I apologise if I have offended anyone by mentioning astrology. Fortunately this idea is independent from the fact if and how astrology actually works.

johnm33

Re: Seeing Things—In the Sky Part One

Unread post by johnm33 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:21 am

The ancients knew more than they get credit for, if you look at the tip of the arrow of sagitarrius your looking towards the centre of the galaxy or at the top of orions club for the shortest way out. Remembering the names and relationships of the stars was crucial for navigation, they still practice this in the south pacific. The Iliad and the knights of the round table, amonst others, were menemonics to assist recall, in the Iliad the brightest star (sirius) was Achillies and the other stars were the other warriors in descending order of prowess/brightness. In the time of Arthur britain was known as 'the fortress of the zodiac' and standing stones which had been erected by the ancients, to depict the constellations on the ground, were used to teach knights the lay of the land, very useful in times of war. These stones lie largely undisturbed in south wales.