Far Distance Run Around

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Re: Far Distance Run Around

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 am

You see Nereid, you just don't seem to be able to help yourself. 'Let's focus on the "lab tested" stuff, we can show they're off tap there...'
Nereid wrote: If electrical theorists reject neutron stars because isolated neutrons in the lab are not stable (despite knowing full well that they are consistent with well-established theory), and that the Sun is powered by fusion because such fusion cannot be sustained in the lab (despite knowing full well that such fusion in the core of the Sun is consistent with well-established theory)

Such "well-established theory" is based on gravity being the prime mover of all things universal. EU posits this is not the case. That something is "well-established" does not make it correct. That it is theory is just that. That fusion cannot be sustained in the lab must at least allow for other ideas to be considered. That neutrons in the lab are not stable must at least allow other ideas to be considered. Both of these things have NOT been observed, nor established beyond that gravity-centric theory won't allow anything else to be considered.

I'm sure everybody else on this forum is getting quite tired of your sad attempts at misrepresenting EU. I know I am.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Ms. Nereid said:
If electrical theorists reject neutron stars because isolated neutrons in the lab are not stable (despite knowing full well that they are consistent with well-established theory), and that the Sun is powered by fusion because such fusion cannot be sustained in the lab (despite knowing full well that such fusion in the core of the Sun is consistent with well-established theory)
Ms. Nereid, do you suppose any chemists would have issue with this blind-faith astronomical statement regarding the behavior of neutrons outside of the Island of Stability? And is there some bit of esoteric logic to which they attribute the concept of two hydrogen atoms collapsing together to form the first two neutrons to 'glue' together in the first place??

Regarding fusion in a lab based upon the 'nuclear genie' model- why is it that they are having to dump more power into maintaining the magnetic fields than they can get out of the reactor? According to theory, it 'just happens' in a free-floating ball of hydrogen gas in the middle of the solar system! "Well-established", you say? :roll:

The definition of 'insanity' is often quoted as being "doing something over and over again expecting a different result each time"... this is distinctly applicable to some of the decades-long attempts to prove illogical theories like the above that are still alive in the face of so many contrary observations and experiments available today. :\
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Nereid

Unread post by Nereid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

solrey wrote:I'd like to remind our audience that Peratt's double radio lobe simulations produced high redshift sources in the early to mid steps of the time series. ;)
I gotta hand it to you solrey, when it comes to making imaginative leaps, quite unconstrained by facts, you are a star. :P

Have you forgotten this, in response to exactly that claim of yours earlier? "the bottom line, for now, is that the values of at least some key parameters in Peratt's simulation - per his 1986 papers and book - are dependent on redshift being a sufficiently reliable indicator of distance." Curious eh? In order to "produce high redshift sources", Peratt relies upon the Hubble redshift-distance relationship (i.e. no intrinsic redshift)!
It's acknowledged that observations confirm intrinsic redshift relating to both galaxy evolution and quasars. This has been predicted in one way or another in the results of Peratt's simulations and Arp's observations.
Let's see now, the confirmation that the Hubble redshift-distance relationship is totally broken (e.g. objects with redshifts of ~0.1 to >2 are at the same distance as galaxies whose redshift-independent distances have been determined to be ~4 Mpc) relies upon the Hubble redshift-distance relationship (in the sense of redshift being a sufficiently reliable indicator of distance). Hmm ... how do you spell 'inconsistent'?
davesmith_au wrote: Such "well-established theory" is based on gravity being the prime mover of all things universal.
I did not know that Dave.

For example, I thought that both the neutron star and solar fusion examples were based, primarily, on many decades of research into nuclear physics. Can you give me some examples of papers on the behaviour of nuclei which are "gravity being the prime mover of all things universal" please?
EU posits this is not the case. That something is "well-established" does not make it correct. That it is theory is just that. That fusion cannot be sustained in the lab must at least allow for other ideas to be considered. That neutrons in the lab are not stable must at least allow other ideas to be considered. Both of these things have NOT been observed, nor established beyond that gravity-centric theory won't allow anything else to be considered.
I'm a big fan of allowing other things to be considered!

However, my point - the one you are quoting - was a quite different one; namely, that in EU theory what I have called theoretical derivations (a shorthand) are not accepted, period (plasma physics aside). In these two cases, I have not yet found any material by electrical theorists which allows anything else to be considered.

Besides, you have not commented on why it is that the TPOD/Arp ideas concerning galaxy redshifts are acceptable, despite there being a) no experimental results, done in labs here on Earth, producing 'intrinsic redshifts', and b) no theoretical derivation of 'intrinsic redshifts' from plasma physics. Do you regard this as a misrepresentation for EU? If so, would you be kind enough to explain why?
mharratsc wrote:do you suppose any chemists would have issue with this blind-faith astronomical statement regarding the behavior of neutrons outside of the Island of Stability?
I expect that they'd be hopping mad/bemused/think you were nuts/etc for using the qualifier "blind-faith"!

Apart from that, no, not at all.
And is there some bit of esoteric logic to which they attribute the concept of two hydrogen atoms collapsing together to form the first two neutrons to 'glue' together in the first place??
Sorry Mike, I have no idea what this question means; would you mind rephrasing it please?

Regarding the stability of neutrons: as with much of physics (including plasma physics), energy considerations are important. A neutron can be stable if there is no path to decay that involves an input of energy from nothing (that's a simple word-level explanation, easily misunderstood of course). Neutrons in stable nuclei (isotopes) are stable because their decay (to a proton, electron, and neutrino) requires energy; an isolated neutron is not stable because its decay releases energy (if these were chemical reactions, we'd use words like endothermic and exothermic). In neutron-rich, unstable isotopes, neutrons decay because such a decay - in that nuclear environment - releases energy; in proton-rich unstable isotopes, protons 'decay' (by electron capture, for example) to form a neutron (there's a neutrino involved too) because such a decay - in that nuclear environment - releases energy. In neutron degenerate matter, the neutrons are stable (i.e. do not decay) because to do so would require energy, not release it.

In terms of the physics, this is equivalent to the [OIII] 495.9 and 500.7 nm 'forbidden' lines; they are possible according to the theory, but cannot be observed in labs because we can't create the physical conditions under which they'd be observable; the same with neutrons, we can't create the physical conditions under which they are stable (except, of course, in stable isotopes, of elements other than H).
Regarding fusion in a lab based upon the 'nuclear genie' model- why is it that they are having to dump more power into maintaining the magnetic fields than they can get out of the reactor? According to theory, it 'just happens' in a free-floating ball of hydrogen gas in the middle of the solar system! "Well-established", you say?
Same thing Mike; if the physical conditions under which fusion can take place were able to be created in labs here on Earth, we'd see it (fusion); however, it'd be exceedingly wimpy (the energy produced per unit of volume is underwhelming to say the least; the Sun is so bright because it has such a huge volume).

It's exactly the same with plasma physics; assume scalability many orders of magnitude beyond what's possible in any lab, and Peratt's model can be taken seriously; require that your lab house a twisted pair of Birkeland currents ~35 kpc apart (and in diameter), and you're in the same place as fusion-powered stars.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Nereid wrote: It's exactly the same with plasma physics; assume scalability many orders of magnitude beyond what's possible in any lab, and Peratt's model can be taken seriously;
:shock: I tawt I taw a puddy tat... :?
Nereid wrote: It's exactly the same with plasma physics; assume scalability many orders of magnitude beyond what's possible in any lab, and Peratt's model can be taken seriously;
:o I did, I did, I did taw a puddy tat! :lol:

I can't resist, I just gotta see that one more time...
Say no more.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:56 am

Ms. Nereid said:
mharratsc wrote:
do you suppose any chemists would have issue with this blind-faith astronomical statement regarding the behavior of neutrons outside of the Island of Stability?
I expect that they'd be hopping mad/bemused/think you were nuts/etc for using the qualifier "blind-faith"!

Apart from that, no, not at all.
And is there some bit of esoteric logic to which they attribute the concept of two hydrogen atoms collapsing together to form the first two neutrons to 'glue' together in the first place??
Sorry Mike, I have no idea what this question means; would you mind rephrasing it please?
I was asking how the first two neutrons ignored the fact that they were not atomically bound to anything providing stability, and therefore should beta decay within 15 minutes.

My problem here was that I forgot about how the magic of gravity can pull hydrogen atoms together randomly and magically turn a cloud into a star. If gravity can do that, why not neutron stars and neutronium too?

I mean- if gravity can selectively decide which portion of a cloud to most act upon to create random fusion moments... you know what I mean? It's magic!

We have interstellar clouds of hydrogen that outweigh galaxies, I'm told... yet no star formation. We look in a galaxy, and one small portion of a hydrogen cloud is 'collapsing' at several different points, to create stars.

Not one giant star in the middle of the giant cloud that should be self-attracting with all of its combined mass and gravity, right? No, just in certain spots.

This is a theory of convenience, not common sense. :\
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

jacmac

Unread post by jacmac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:58 am

What about the elephant in the room ?
The objects in the picture seem to be connected.
They have very different red shifts.
What up with that ??

Jack

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

it is my limited understanding of science that everything is open to falsification. it seems to me that instead of digging in of heels to prevent falsification, a real scientist would use their knowledge and skills to attempt to falsify even their pet theory. colour me naive.
me,".2nd question is putting theoretical equal to empirical...that can be argued again, but i believe it is not accurate."
Nereid," Hmm, any scientific basis for that belief?
Yes, to your condescending and ingenuous question.
me, "Your third question is nonsense, as it implies previous correct assertions.

Nereid," Well, I believe "nonsense" is a bit too strong; after all the third question began with these words: "If -"
and is not using "IF" implying?..actually, IF the previous assertions were true, the concluding argument of, "- why hasn't all mention of Arp's interpretations been long since moved to the NIAMI section?", is even more nonsensical !

What kind of argument is that?..What difference does it make whether something is or is not allowed to be discussed in some forum?

For a very intelligent and knowledgeable person, you display some
very non-scientific, even silly reasoning at times...I have read some of your posts and it seems to be a different person.

I say this not to put you down, but to explain why i am disturbed by a person of seemingly much higher intelligence than mine and some grasp of things which i have no comprehension of, posting some really silly things as if they were true and of value ...

It is disturbing to me....I can only conclude that there is some ideological perspective or brain fart that seeps in at times to distort the thinking.. That seems to be a human condition.

People, have you decided if there is a problem with red shift being used in space to measure distance? I don't have the ability to assign "weight"or validity to a study or experiment.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:04 pm

The issue from the EU perspective is the notion of redshifted light ONLY indicating distance/motion, when there are multiple reports of observations that indicate that particular cosmological objects display an intrinsic redshift, in addition.

These objects are predominantly described as 'child galaxies', and are expelled from the poles of active galaxies. Check out the TPOD: The Universe According to Arp for a concise look at the argument.
Mike H.

Nereid

Unread post by Nereid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:07 pm

mharratsc wrote:I was asking how the first two neutrons ignored the fact that they were not atomically bound to anything providing stability, and therefore should beta decay within 15 minutes.
Well, given that the core of a star which goes from being exothermic to endothermic should collapse at some respectable fraction of c, 15 minutes would be sufficient, don't you think?
My problem here was that I forgot about how the magic of gravity can pull hydrogen atoms together randomly and magically turn a cloud into a star. If gravity can do that, why not neutron stars and neutronium too?
I think it was solrey who made this comment, somewhere: if you want to challenge EU theory, it behooves you to understand it.

Narlikar, co-author of the Variable Mass Hypothesis (which may be what the TPOD author is referring to), has certainly challenged LCDM cosmological models ... and he just as certainly has shown that he understands them!

May I suggest that if you really want to challenge hypotheses/models/etc on the formation of neutron stars, that you first learn what they actually say?

I mean, figures of straw are amazingly easy to knock over.

In any case, gravity - in the case of neutron stars - is merely the facilitator; what makes nuclear degenerate matter is pressure. Here's an analogy/example: Ice IX. It has a crystal structure that is stable within a certain temperature/pressure regime; drop the pressure and it's unstable; increase the temperature and it's unstable. Perhaps, deep under many km of ice on some super-Earth, there is a layer of ice IX; within some lab here on Earth, small quantities of ice IX have been made. In the former, gravity ultimately delivers the pressure; in the later perhaps it's a diamond anvil. The ice IX doesn't discriminate as to origin of the pressure.
I mean- if gravity can selectively decide which portion of a cloud to most act upon to create random fusion moments... you know what I mean? It's magic!

We have interstellar clouds of hydrogen that outweigh galaxies, I'm told... yet no star formation. We look in a galaxy, and one small portion of a hydrogen cloud is 'collapsing' at several different points, to create stars.

Not one giant star in the middle of the giant cloud that should be self-attracting with all of its combined mass and gravity, right? No, just in certain spots.
And this is relevant to whether there is a stable configuration of neutrons (nuclear degenerate matter), how, exactly?
This is a theory of convenience, not common sense. :\
Would you say the same about QED, Mike? Do you think a key criterion in astrophysics should be 'common sense'? :shock:
jacmac wrote:What about the elephant in the room ?
The objects in the picture seem to be connected.
They have very different red shifts.
What up with that ??
Leaving aside the (fascinating!) question of how you can demonstrate "connected" (and distinguish it from "seem to be connected") with regard to patterns of electromagnetic radiation from the sky, the challenge here is one of acceptance (or not) of ideas which a) have no basis in any experimental work, done in labs here on Earth, and b) also have no basis in any theoretical derivations, from plasma physics.

As I've already said, if all kinds of negatives are heaped on even neutron stars (and black holes, cold dark non-baryonic matter, and ...) - despite the volumes of high-quality lab-based research behind the concepts - don't you think it just very slightly inconsistent to embrace radical ideas about the redshifts of galaxies being due to (or somehow related to) their age? Ideas which have absolutely no basis whatsoever in any lab experiments or plasma physics theory? And embrace them with - apparently - nary a critical question?

Take an example (possibly not relevant; I don't know enough about Arp's galaxy redshift-age idea to be sure): on New Year's Day, in a city near you, there will be an impressive fireworks display. The brilliant blues in such fireworks will likely be produced by copper. Now if, magically, you could get some copper (and chlorine) from a galaxy with a certain redshift, and use that in your fireworks, it would produce ... green! And from a different galaxy ... yellow! ... red! Wouldn't you be really, really curious to know how copper - copper! - can behave so differently, depending on what galaxy it comes from?

It gets even more curious.

At some time in the past, it seems that we, here in the Milky Way, absorbed matter (stars, gas, plasma) from a neighbour, a 'satellite galaxy'. Per Arp, that galaxy would have been younger than ours, and the matter in it would not have had time to 'catch up' with ours ... so there should be some copper atoms, from that galaxy, with different (lighter) masses than our regular copper atoms (and H, and He, and ...). Yet, as far as I know, there isn't the slightest hint that such 'light weight' copper atoms exist.

And so on.

Intrinsic redshifts, of the Arpian kind, are indeed a huge elephant in the plasma physics room. :P

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Nereid wrote: Intrinsic redshifts, of the Arpian kind, are indeed a huge elephant in the plasma physics room.
No. Nereid, it is your logic that is the elephant coprolite. Arp's explanation of why intrinsic red shift exists is a separate discussion from the fact of intrinsic red shift itself. You people of the <moderator edit> consensus theory wish to derail the discussion by conflating the two. Just because there is as yet no obvious reason for the "quantum jump" like steps in specular intrinsic red shift frequencies mean that there is lots of room for ad hoc proposals to explain them. This type of speculation is similar to the invention of dark matter by your ilk. The difference is that, so far, Arp's ideas as to why the intrinsic red shift happens has not become a cult belief worthy of defense at all cost, as your imaginary "Dark Bunkum" has among the true believers.

Last edited by nick c on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: inappropriate remarks removed
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 am

Ms. Nereid said:
Would you say the same about QED, Mike? Do you think a key criterion in astrophysics should be 'common sense'?
Ma'am- 'common sense' should be a key criterion in everything ranging from interpreting astronomical data, all the way down to choosing the right breakfast cereal in the morning. o.O
Mike H.

David Talbott
Site Admin

Unread post by David Talbott » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am

Mike H, you are certainly correct in standing by common sense.

When a fact outside one's specialized field of view falsifies a theoretical assumption, common sense should direct the attention of the specialist to this contrary fact. All that is left when the specialist ignores common sense is denial.

Absence of peer reviewed articles or quantified models will not take anything away from the power of simple facts to bring down an entire theoretical edifice. In truth, that is exactly what is happening, and it's why the Thunderbolts Project has spawned an irreversible movement.

We're dealing with this issue every day. The success we've had with video segments on Mars illustrates quite well my point here. (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_T6__JDeyw ). The only issue is whether the facts as stated are correct. If they are, common sense immediately trumps the library of accumulated peer reviewed papers dealing with the quandaries of the Martian surface. The field of view expressed in the technical papers is simply too narrow and is therefore virtually incapable of responding to a vast field—a bedrock—of fact. As a rule, the experts will not even look at images, where undeniable facts stare them in the face.

It can be hard for specialists to accept that I'm not exaggerating here. But intellectually curious viewers, who naturally think in interdisciplinary terms, are having no trouble getting the message: a reasonable interpretation of solar system history must include facts that too many well-paid theorists do not want to hear.

Nereid

Unread post by Nereid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm

mharratsc wrote:Ma'am- 'common sense' should be a key criterion in everything ranging from interpreting astronomical data, all the way down to choosing the right breakfast cereal in the morning. o.O
David Talbott wrote:Mike H, you are certainly correct in standing by common sense.

When a fact outside one's specialized field of view falsifies a theoretical assumption, common sense should direct the attention of the specialist to this contrary fact. All that is left when the specialist ignores common sense is denial.

Absence of peer reviewed articles or quantified models will not take anything away from the power of simple facts to bring down an entire theoretical edifice. In truth, that is exactly what is happening, and it's why the Thunderbolts Project has spawned an irreversible movement.
This will probably be one of my last attempts to engage in a science-based discussion, at least in this thread and on this topic.

Here, in this forum, I presented my own views on the key aspects of what physics is, today, and how it should be applied to (observational) astronomy (follow the links).

Now to the details.

David (Talbott, not Smith),

I do not know for sure what 'fact' you are referring to (and I risk the wrath of the other David, with his 'bunkum!' and 'pedantry!', um, comments, merely for asking), but if it refers to views attributed to Arp by Stephen Smith (the TPOD author) - "Astronomer Halton Arp, for instance, interprets galactic redshift to be an indicator of age and not distance." - then I challenge you to defend your assertion that what is clearly labeled as an interpretation is, in fact, a fact.

If, instead, you are referring to Mike's last post (and the first question of mine he quotes - "Would you say the same about QED, Mike?"), may I ask what 'fact' you are referring to? And, in more detail, what such fact - "outside one's specialized field of view" - is it that you assert "falsifies a theoretical assumption" in QED?

Going back one step, to neutron stars and neutron/nuclear degeneracy, may I ask what the 'fact' is, and what the 'theoretical assumption' is that you think this fact falsifies?
It can be hard for specialists to accept that I'm not exaggerating here. But intellectually curious viewers, who naturally think in interdisciplinary terms, are having no trouble getting the message: a reasonable interpretation of solar system history must include facts that too many well-paid theorists do not want to hear.
Several times, and sometimes in quite, um, robust language, Thunderbolts forum members have said I have obfuscated, engaged in diversionary tactics, and so on.

Do you at least acknowledge, David Talbott, that this last post of yours could be viewed as diverting attention from both the intent of the first post (by Sparky) and the explicit questions - based on a direct request in that post - by me?

To be clear - to all readers - I'm genuinely curious about this.

David Talbott
Site Admin

Unread post by David Talbott » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Nereid, the answer to that last question is that your repeated demands for peer reviewed articles and for quantified analyses are the most frequent distraction we're encountering here. I can understand that this is the world you've been living in, but it is not our world—for reasons that should, by now, be quite obvious. We are challenging the most fundamental assumption in the theoretical sciences, the assumption of electrical neutrality across cosmic distances. To an extraordinary degree, "peer reviewed" means in agreement with this underlying, typically unspoken assumption. But what if the assumption really is incorrect. The signs should be everywhere and show up as indisputable facts. So it puzzles me that when I mention the fact of acceleration of the solar wind up to one quarter the speed of light; plus the fact that there is no force known to man, other than an electric field, that accelerates charged particles in this way, you look the other way, then call for peer reviewed articles as if the cited facts are of virtually no value.

Much more to say on this, but if the conversation is ended I'll not invest more time in it.

Lloyd

Unread post by Lloyd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Nereid said: This will probably be one of my last attempts to engage in a science-based discussion, at least in this thread and on this topic.
* Nereid imagines that her discussions here on this forum have been "science-based", whereas it appears to me that they have been primarily establishment doctrine based. Many of us contend that establishment doctrine is not well science-based. As Dave T just suggested, she, like her establishment friends, ignores facts that contradict their doctrine. That's not science. The establishment is largely authoritarian posturing with a little science put up as a facade. If she or any other doubters of EU Theory accepts Dave's challenge to debate scientifically, by discussing facts, maybe we'll see some real science around here.