Cosmic Capacitors - Nov 11 2010

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

rjhuntington

Cosmic Capacitors - Nov 11 2010

Unread post by rjhuntington » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:01 am

Stephen Smith begins his excellent article with, "Capacitors store and release electric current." Since we are all about the electric part of universal reality, please allow me to split an electrical engineering hair and say that what a capacitor stores is charge, and then at some point releases the charge as current in the circuit to which the capacitor is connected.

Earth is a celestial capacitor charged by the solar wind. The rocky planet body is one plate of the capacitor, the ionosphere is the other plate, and the atmosphere is the dielectric. As with any capacitor, the charge is stored in the dielectric. The relative charge increases with the dielectric distance from the "ground" plate. For Earth, that means a charge of some 100 to 500 volts per meter in clear weather, up to many thousands of volts per meter in stormy conditions.

Lightning is the shorting of the dielectric due to over-voltage. Such phenomena are always localized, even in a tiny capacitor. The breakdown always occurs in a specific location. In actuality, there is charge separation even in the atmosphere, as lightning discharge occurs in a stratified fashion from one layer to another, ultimately reaching the ionosphere. Lightning bolts appear "right-side up" or "inverted" depending on which layer is discharging and where.

(The old tale of lightning being static discharge caused by the friction of air molecules rubbing against each other in stormy conditions is silly on the face of it. If that were so, any windy conditions would cause lightning. Since they don't, it isn't.)

The fact of Earth's being a giant fully-charged capacitor suggests that there is abundant free power available at all times waiting to be tapped. Use of wind mills, photovoltaic cells, and other costly alternatives may eventually fade for power production since the atmosphere already contains more power than we could possibly use and is being constantly replenished by the sun.

The article at this link proves the concept.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/energy21/c ... harger.htm

MrAmsterdam

Re: Cosmic Capacitors - Nov 11 2010

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:06 am

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/energy21/c ... harger.htm

Just about every Ham operator knows better than to disconnect an antenna and then pick it up later by the connector and touch a ground. Enormous charges can build up on an insulated wire and the longer the wire the more charge that will build. Most all of us have learned to pick up the coax and tap or hold the antenna against the case of the radio to bleed off this charge. How few of us have ever been so poor as to have to think about how they can use this free energy. Wiley Almond, told me how to do this a few years ago. When he was a kid in the depression, buying batteries to listen to his homebrew 2 tube regen radio was out of the question. So they used the long wire antenna they had scrounged from an old telegraph line to charge the batteries so they could listen to the radio.
correlates with the following observations?
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/gene ... g-emp.html

I had a long-wire antenna that was never struck and the house was never struck and we never lost any electronics to lightning. There was one time when I heard a periodic snapping and finally traced it to the BNC connector that I'd disconnected from the long-wire antenna. Even though an electrical storm was three or four miles away, that antenna was getting charged to over a thousand volts and then the BNC would arc over. I installed a neon lamp snubber on the antenna the next day.
Could not find the link anymore but somewhere on the internet I found this;
Stick an antenna up in the air, the higher the better, and wire it to one side of a capacitor, the other going to a good earth ground, and the potential difference will then charge the capacitor. Connect across the capacitor some sort of switching device so that it can be discharged at rhythmic intervals, and you have an oscillating electric output. T.H. Moray simply expanded on Tesla's idea to use high-voltage to create ionic oscillation.
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

rjhuntington

Unread post by rjhuntington » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 am

Thank you, MrAmsterdam. That last one has the key to power generation in the oscillating output. I'll bet with a suitable circuit you could generate AC from the sky.

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 am

Hell Mr rjhuntington

Out of this post I compiled a new one ; Question for NASA and Esa engineers

http://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpBB3/v ... 72&start=0
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 am

I'd bet that with a suitable RLC circuit you could construct a pulsar.
Jim

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

...I dont see why not. Same phenomena, different scale...

Osmosis

Unread post by Osmosis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am

A relaxation oscillator (Pulsar?) can be built with a source of electricity, a resistor, a capacitor and a plasma discharge lamp. A double layer should supply all you need. No reason to order anything from Allied Electronics. :D :D

Ryujin

Unread post by Ryujin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Interesting, so is this what Tesla was tapping into? If so we just gotta figure out how to harness this fact and do so with out having a lighting bolt frying our butt and we can say goodbye to the power companies.
Thinking for your self; it's the new black,

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Don't forget about that NASA 'satellite tether' issue that they had... a variant of the same principle, I think?
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Nereid

Unread post by Nereid » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 am

From the TPOD:
Stephen Smith wrote:As a press release from the period states, the X-ray emissions are far too intense to be generated from hot gas in the cluster, so "shockwaves must be rippling through the gas." ESA astrophysicists, faced with such an anomaly, suggested that the shockwaves had "turned the galaxy into a giant particle accelerator."
The Science Daily article concludes:
Science Daily wrote:Journal reference: 'Integral discovery of non-thermal hard X-ray emission from the Ophiuchus cluster' by D. Eckert, N. Produit, S. Paltani, A. Neronov and T. Courvoisier is to be published in a forthcoming issue of Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Here is the abstract of that paper, in the arXiv preprint server:
Eckert et al;. wrote:We present the results of deep observations of the Ophiuchus cluster of galaxies with INTEGRAL in the 3-80 keV band. We analyse 3 Ms of INTEGRAL data on the Ophiuchus cluster with the IBIS/ISGRI hard X-ray imager and the JEM-X X-ray monitor. In the X-ray band using JEM-X, we show that the source is extended, and that the morphology is compatible with the results found by previous missions. Above 20 keV, we show that the size of the source is slightly larger than the PSF of the instrument, and is consistent with the soft X-ray morphology found with JEM-X and ASCA. Thanks to the constraints on the temperature provided by JEM-X, we show that the spectrum of the cluster is not well fitted by a single-temperature thermal Bremsstrahlung model, and that another spectral component is needed to explain the high energy data. We detect the high energy tail with a higher detection significance (6.4 sigma) than the BeppoSAX claim (2 sigma). Because of the imaging capabilities of JEM-X and ISGRI, we are able to exclude the possibility that the excess emission comes from very hot regions or absorbed AGN, which proves that the excess emission is indeed of non-thermal origin. Using the available radio data together with the non-thermal hard X-ray flux, we estimate a magnetic field B ~ 0.1-0.2 mu G.

The Great Dog

Unread post by The Great Dog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Mr. Smith meant that a capacitor stores electric charge, of course, not electric current. He corrected his observation in this paper:

Dielectric Breakdown
A capacitor is used to accumulate and store electric charge. Capacitors are usually made of two conductors separated by an insulating medium, or dielectric insulator. An electric charge on one conductor attracts an opposite charge to the other conductor, resulting in an electric field between them that acts as an electrical energy reserve.
There are no other dogs but The Great Dog

flyingcloud

Unread post by flyingcloud » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm

I can"t help but stress the
contricution of the dielectric

Nereid

Unread post by Nereid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:16 am

flyingcloud wrote:I can"t help but stress the
Yes, that's critical to capacitors.

And that points to what may be a weakness in the analogy Mr. Smith makes in this TPOD; namely, that there are no dielectrics in space plasmas (what separates double layers in plasmas is not a dielectric).

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 am

Nereid wrote:
flyingcloud wrote:I can"t help but stress the
Yes, that's critical to capacitors.

And that points to what may be a weakness in the analogy Mr. Smith makes in this TPOD; namely, that there are no dielectrics in space plasmas (what separates double layers in plasmas is not a dielectric).
Nereid would you care to expand on that please?

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:42 am

Nereid said:
You mean something like a dielectric tensor?
Tensor describing the three-dimensional plasma response to three-dimensional electric fields; see (e.g.) Stix, Thomas Howard. _Waves in Plasmas_, American Institute of Physics, New York, 1992 for details.
Dielectric response of plasma in reversed field pinches near the ion cyclotron frequency (pdf)
In the present study we accurately calculate the dielectric properties of the plasma near the axis by considering particle orbits to first order in drift parameter.
Dielectric permittivity of a plasma in an external electric field
Dielectric permittivity is a fundamental characteristic of plasmas; in particular, it governs the screening of the electric charge in plasma.
Indeed, screening of electric charge in plasma is a property of a double layer. ;)

cheers
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla