Correcting ChatGPT's physics mistakes

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.
galaxy12

Correcting ChatGPT's physics mistakes

Unread post by galaxy12 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 pm

My question: Can you tell me which direction the magnetic field lines point of a positively charged particle moving through empty space that has no magnetic field?

ChatGPT
Sure! When a positively charged particle moves through empty space without any external magnetic field, it creates its own magnetic field due to its motion. According to the right-hand rule, if you point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity, and your fingers curl in the direction of the particle's motion, then the magnetic field lines will circulate around the direction of motion in a perpendicular plane.

So, if the positively charged particle is moving in a certain direction, its magnetic field lines would form closed loops around the direction of motion, according to the right-hand rule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My question: If the positively charged particle is moving away from me in empty space without a magnetic field, which direction will the magnetic field lines appear around the particle, clockwise or counterclockwise?

ChatGPT
If the positively charged particle is moving away from you in empty space without any external magnetic field, the direction of the magnetic field lines around the particle would follow the right-hand rule.

Point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity (away from you), and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines. In this case, the magnetic field lines would appear to circulate counterclockwise around the direction of motion as observed from your perspective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My comment: This answer you provided is incorrect. If a positively charged particle is moving away from me, the magnetic field lines would be directed clockwise around the particle from my perspective, using the right hand rule.

ChatGPT
You're absolutely correct, and I appreciate your correction. I apologize for the oversight. Let's correct that.

When a positively charged particle is moving away from you in empty space without any external magnetic field, the direction of the magnetic field lines around the particle would indeed follow the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity (away from you), and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines. In this case, the magnetic field lines would indeed appear to circulate clockwise around the direction of motion as observed from your perspective.

BeAChooser

Re: Correcting ChatGPT's physics mistakes

Unread post by BeAChooser » Mon May 20, 2024 4:47 pm

The bigger question is can it learn from its mistakes?

I just checked and it gives me the same answers it gave you to the same series of questions ... so it learned nothing from your discussion with it.

galaxy12

Unread post by galaxy12 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:14 pm

A similar conversation with Bing Copilot is below. Both Bing Copilot and Chat GPT seem confused about basic physics:

My question:

What direction are the magnetic field lines of a positively charged particle moving away from me in empty space viewed from my perspective?

Copilot
The magnetic field lines of a positively charged particle moving away from you in empty space would form concentric circles around the particle. These circles represent the direction of the magnetic field. The field lines emerge radially outward from the particle, perpendicular to the direction of its motion. If you were to observe this from your perspective, it would appear as if the field lines are spreading out from the particle. 🧲🌀

Remember that the magnetic field lines always form closed loops, so they eventually return to the particle. This behavior is described by Ampère’s law and is fundamental to electromagnetism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comment:
Your answer is contradictory. You say that the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the particle. In contradiction, you say that the field lines emerge radially outward from the particle. The shape of concentric circles around the particle is contradictory to the shape of radial lines emerging from the particle.

Copilot
I apologize for any confusion in my previous response. Let me clarify:

Concentric Circles: When a positively charged particle moves away from you in empty space, the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the particle. These circles represent the direction of the magnetic field. Imagine them like ripples spreading outward from the particle.
Radial Lines: The field lines also emerge radially outward from the particle, perpendicular to the direction of its motion. This means they extend directly away from the particle, like rays radiating outward.
In summary, both descriptions are consistent: concentric circles around the particle and radial lines extending outward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question:
Radial lines emerging from a point in space would be perpendicular to concentric circles around a point in space. Do you agree?

Copilot
I apologize for the confusion in my previous responses. You are absolutely correct! Radial lines emerging from a point in space would indeed be perpendicular to concentric circles around that same point.

--------------------------------------------------------------

BeAChooser

Unread post by BeAChooser » Mon May 20, 2024 10:41 pm

galaxy12 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:14 pm Both Bing Copilot and Chat GPT seem confused about basic physics
Well, in their defense, they're just reflecting the confusion that mainstream astrophysicists have about basic physics. ;)

Roy

Unread post by Roy » Sat May 25, 2024 1:55 am

A computer program is no smarter than the programmer. Yet. And magnetic field lines are mental shorthand for field density. They are no more actual than lines of Latitude or Longitude. The big blindness of astrophysics toward electricity and magnetism in space ( why we are here ) - just look at APOD discussions - leads to all the inventions like dark matter, black holes, etcetera. The new discoveries from the Hubble, Webb, Chandra, and ground telescopes come so fast the Catechism and established physicists can’t keep up. The programmers won’t keep up either. IMHO.

galaxy12

Unread post by galaxy12 » Sat May 25, 2024 3:37 pm

Roy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:55 am A computer program is no smarter than the programmer. Yet. And magnetic field lines are mental shorthand for field density. They are no more actual than lines of Latitude or Longitude. The big blindness of astrophysics toward electricity and magnetism in space ( why we are here ) - just look at APOD discussions - leads to all the inventions like dark matter, black holes, etcetera. The new discoveries from the Hubble, Webb, Chandra, and ground telescopes come so fast the Catechism and established physicists can’t keep up. The programmers won’t keep up either. IMHO.
I agree with much of what you stated. The physics programmers for AI should be extremely careful when programming basic physics foundations into AI because other physics equations and principles are built upon basic principles. Regarding magnetic field lines, I consider their shape and direction extremely important because their visual representations tells us the direction of magnetic and electrostatic forces and current between particles. The field lines are a way for humans to visually and quickly understand particle interactions without the need for a computer. For EU proponents, we can use the direction and shape of magnetic field lines that are often given in mainstream astrophysics articles to deduce the direction of electrical current in space/plasma. The direction and shape of magnetic field lines is the way EU proponents can easily and visually decipher the confusing magnetic explanations given in mainstream articles and convert their "gravitational and magnetic universe" into EU's "electrical universe". Learning magnetic field lines and the "right hand rule" should be a first step in learning electric universe theory. A second step should be learning how charged/polarized particles produce electrical/electrostatic current/forces and magnetic fields/forces. I covered some of the basic principles in this thread when I described Alfven's unipolar inductor / homopolar generator concept:

https://thunderbolts.info/wp/forum3/php ... php?t=1185

Skipping the learning of basic physics principles has provided mainstream astrophysicists with the vulnerability to get deceived into worshipping the fictional dark matter, dark energy and black hole theories of the universe. IMHO.