Time & 360 Day Year

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

jtb

Time & 360 Day Year

Unread post by jtb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 am

Time is an interval of motion like a mile is an interval of length. Ancient calendars all had 360 days in a year. That means there were exactly 30 days in a month, exactly 90 days in a season, and orbits were circular. Something happened in the past that lengthened a year to 365 ¼ days.

You're stuck on a Pacific island with Gilligan and the crew of the good ship Minnow without any means of telling time. The basic unit of time becomes the length of a day: the interval from sunup to sunup. The Professor puts a stick in the ground (ancient obelisk) and watches the motion of its shadow to determine intervals of time. He measures the interval of darkness from sundown to sunup by the number of candles he burns and records the movement of the moon.

The length of a day and the length of darkness varies, but with persistence in watching the shadow and the moon, patterns eventually emerge. There is an interval from midday shortest shadow to shortest shadow, and that interval was originally 360 sunups: one year.

In that 360 sunup interval of motion, the Professor records 12 new moons. The interval of motion from new moon to new moon is 30 sunups: one month. 12 new moons times 30 sunups equals 360, the same number as the days in a year. The Professor also notices a 90 day pattern in the midday length of shadows. The shadows are shortest when the days are longest (Summer solstice). 90 days later the shadow is equal in length to the stick he put in the ground (Autumn equinox). 90 days later during the shortest days, the shadows are the longest (Winter solstice). 90 days later the length of the shadow is equal to the length of the stick (Spring equinox). The pattern repeats itself every 360 sunups: every year.

That's why there are 360 degrees in a circle and 12 numbers on a clock. Each degree in a circle represents one day. Each number on a clock represents one month. Each quarter of a circle, or quarter of a clock, represents a 90 day season, or 90 degrees.

Stonehenge and Obelisks were ancient clocks. As the motion of the sun varies, we adjust our modern clocks accordingly, but still maintain the original 360 day clock model.

Time began with the motion of the universe and time will end when the motion of the universe ceases.

The motion of the sun carried by the rotation of the universe is the only thing that determines time. Time does not change with the velocity of any other object in the universe as proposed by Dr. Einstein.

LunarSabbathTruth

Re: Time & 360 Day Year

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:01 am

Velikovsky talks about the 360 day year and 30 day month in "Worlds in Collision". This pattern was disrupted in the time of the Hebrew kings Uzziah, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, including the account of the backwards shadow on the sundial, around 700 BC.

- joe

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:42 pm

All of that Gilligan's Island gnomon stuff was a "refutation" of Einsteinian Relativity?

Just because a clock slows down—whether the clock is mechanical, biological, or other—does not mean that time slows down. If you slow down the clock in a computer, operations will take longer to complete.

I've read of several alternative physical models that conform to everything tested for Relativity, yet do not presume to bend, twist, or distort space or time. It is known that radioactive decay rates have a seasonal variation. Could it be that matter is flowing "against the current" and slowing down in one direction, but flowing "with the current" and speeding up in the other? A current of aether, perhaps?

Again, just because a clock slows down does not mean that time itself slows down. (And time, like space, is a concept, not a physical thing. Although we do mark the passage of time by physical changes.)

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:27 am

LunarSabbathTruth wrote:Velikovsky talks about the 360 day year and 30 day month in "Worlds in Collision". This pattern was disrupted in the time of the Hebrew kings Uzziah, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, including the account of the backwards shadow on the sundial, around 700 BC.
Yes, and that resulted in confusion as to the time of the Passover because the length of a month was altered. Also, according to Isaiah, about that time, Earth was turned upside down and the sun rose in the west for a period of time.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 am

Metryq wrote: Just because a clock slows down—whether the clock is mechanical, biological, or other—does not mean that time slows down. If you slow down the clock in a computer, operations will take longer to complete.
Time is dependent on the frame of reference used and repetition of motion. The sun is getting closer to Earth, so in that frame of reference, the interval from sunup to sunup is getting shorter. Time is not getting shorter, the interval of repetitious motion is getting shorter.

A computer's clock is also based on some sort of repetitious motion. Slowing a computer's clock is similiar to the changing interval of the sun's motion.

A question I have is if intervals of motion are variable, what can be used as an unchangeable reference? Even atomic clocks have to be adjusted periodically.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:54 am

Close contact with Mars may have been the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs and changed the length of the year in the 8th century before Christ, and "Wormwood" may be the asteroid that soon returns Earth to a 360 day year as predicted by the Bible.

http://www.escapeallthesethings.com/126 ... lation.htm

Like Immanuel (God with us) Velikovsky, when reading the Bible 35 years ago, I noticed that it used a 360 day year and 30 day month throughout, contrary to our modern calendar. The Bible is my standard and I know it is accurate but I also know that I still don't fully understand it.

This morning I attempted to resolve the apparent contradiction and ran across the listed website that predicts, using "Worlds in Collision" as a source, that Earth will return to a 360 day year through cataclysmic contact with a heavenly body the Bible calls "Wormwood" and modern science calls an asteroid. This contact will eventually return Earth to the "Golden Age" where the lion lays with the lamb. Earth will return to a 360 day year, 30 day month, and 90 day seasons for a millennium.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 am

This morning I attempted to resolve the apparent contradiction and ran across the listed website that predicts, using "Worlds in Collision" as a source, that Earth will return to a 360 day year through cataclysmic contact with a heavenly body the Bible calls "Wormwood" and modern science calls an asteroid. This contact will eventually return Earth to the "Golden Age" where the lion lays with the lamb. Earth will return to a 360 day year, 30 day month, and 90 day seasons for a millennium.
Velikovsky never wrote anything of the sort! He would have said that you are projecting the past experiences of a more hospitable Earth (remembered as the Golden Age) into the future. It is wishful thinking.

LunarSabbathTruth

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:18 pm

nick c wrote:
Velikovsky never wrote anything of the sort! He would have said that you are projecting the past experiences of a more hospitable Earth (remembered as the Golden Age) into the future. It is wishful thinking.
"Velikovsky never wrote anything of the sort!"

Maybe not, but the Bible did.

- joe

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 am

Nick, sorry for my confusing post. Velikovsky maintains that Earth at one time had a 360 day year and uses the Old Testament Bible as one of his references. When I read the Bible I also determined that Earth at one time had a 360 day year. I was just recently acquainted with Velikovsky.

The New Testament uses a 360 day year in prophecy for the future, which contradicts our present 365 1/4 day year. I didn't mean to infer that Velikovsky predicted a future 360 day year. Velikovsky was Jewish and obviously rejected the New Testament when he refuses to use the acronym BC (Before Christ).

The author of my posted link used "Worlds in Collision" as a reference that Earth at one time had a 360 day year. He maintains that Earth must return to a 360 day year to fulfill Biblical prophesy.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for the clarification.

LAShaffer

Unread post by LAShaffer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Like Immanuel (God with us) Velikovsky, when reading the Bible 35 years ago, I noticed that it used a 360 day year and 30 day month throughout, contrary to our modern calendar. The Bible is my standard and I know it is accurate but I also know that I still don't fully understand it.
That's strange, I was reading the bible over 50 years ago, and I remember the Israelites having a calendar based on lunar cycles with 13 months in it (and none of them 30 days). Perhaps it's a newer version?

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Thank you, LAShaffer.

Good memory for an old fellow. ;)
I found this explanation.
The Jewish calendar is primarily lunar, with each month beginning on the new moon, when the first sliver of moon becomes visible after the dark of the moon. In ancient times, the new months used to be determined by observation. When people observed the new moon, they would notify the Sanhedrin. When the Sanhedrin heard testimony from two independent, reliable eyewitnesses that the new moon occurred on a certain date, they would declare the rosh chodesh (first of the month) and send out messengers to tell people when the month began.

The problem with strictly lunar calendars is that there are approximately 12.4 lunar months in every solar year, so a 12-month lunar calendar loses about 11 days every year and a 13-month lunar gains about 19 days every year. The months on such a calendar "drift" relative to the solar year. On a 12 month calendar, the month of Nissan, which is supposed to occur in the Spring, occurs 11 days earlier each year, eventually occurring in the Winter, the Fall, the Summer, and then the Spring again. To compensate for this drift, an extra month was occasionally added: a second month of Adar. The month of Nissan would occur 11 days earlier for two or three years, and then would jump forward 29 or 30 days, balancing out the drift.
Source https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/js ... endar.html

LunarSabbathTruth

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:32 am

LAShaffer wrote:
That's strange, I was reading the bible over 50 years ago, and I remember the Israelites having a calendar based on lunar cycles with 13 months in it (and none of them 30 days). Perhaps it's a newer version?
There is no place in the Bible where it indicates anything other than a 30 day month, 360 day year. That was the calendar used at the time of Moses, and even past King David 500 years later, before the astronomical disruptions which happened about 250 years after David, around 750 BC.

The disruption is alluded to (Hezekiah and the backwards sundial, Daniel's reference to changes in the times and seasons) but the specific changes to the year and month are not explicitly stated.

Obviously, by the time of Christ, there were 29.5 day months, and 365.25 day years, but there is nothing in the Bible that says how they dealt with that issue. However, 3 centuries later, due to the influence of Constantine, about AD 350, the Sanhedrin adopted the current Roman calendar.

- joe

LunarSabbathTruth

Unread post by LunarSabbathTruth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 am

comingfrom wrote:Thank you, LAShaffer.

Good memory for an old fellow. ;)
I found this explanation.
The Jewish calendar is primarily lunar, with each month beginning on the new moon, when the first sliver of moon becomes visible after the dark of the moon. In ancient times, the new months used to be determined by observation. When people observed the new moon, they would notify the Sanhedrin. When the Sanhedrin heard testimony from two independent, reliable eyewitnesses that the new moon occurred on a certain date, they would declare the rosh chodesh (first of the month) and send out messengers to tell people when the month began.

The problem with strictly lunar calendars is that there are approximately 12.4 lunar months in every solar year, so a 12-month lunar calendar loses about 11 days every year and a 13-month lunar gains about 19 days every year. The months on such a calendar "drift" relative to the solar year. On a 12 month calendar, the month of Nissan, which is supposed to occur in the Spring, occurs 11 days earlier each year, eventually occurring in the Winter, the Fall, the Summer, and then the Spring again. To compensate for this drift, an extra month was occasionally added: a second month of Adar. The month of Nissan would occur 11 days earlier for two or three years, and then would jump forward 29 or 30 days, balancing out the drift.
Source https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/js ... endar.html

Again, those changes occurred after the astronomical disruptions of around 750 BC. That is not the calendar described in the Torah, which is an exact astronomical 30 day month, 360 day year.

- joe

comingfrom

Unread post by comingfrom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 am

It doesn't contradict your theory, Joe.

The Jews may have started with a 360 day year, and then found they had to make adjustments after the year lengthened.
But tell me, where in the Torah is the description of a calendar?