Extraordinary Light

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

seasmith

Re: Extraordinary Light

Unread post by seasmith » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

... one can say that the blackest thing in existence is the pupil of the eye.
I'll go with that, and raise you one. The extension between a pupil looking, and at its reflection in a mirror, is near infinite.
Still thinking about the rest...
:shock:

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:59 am

seasmith wrote:
... one can say that the blackest thing in existence is the pupil of the eye.
I'll go with that, and raise you one. The extension between a pupil looking, and at its reflection in a mirror, is near infinite.
Still thinking about the rest...
:shock:
Tell me more about your "infinite" extension. That doesn't make sense to me... :shock:
What does make sense is that a light vector cannot operate in opposite directions simultaneously, due to simple vector cancellation, hence the "blackest" pupil, whether mirrored or viewed eye to eye. :idea:
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 pm

"near infinite" extension
Nothing really to do with EL, or The Future of Science; so just a quick off-topic reply here.
It's a post-meditation exercise where looking at an eye-level mirror, the gaze may be concentrated with practice anywhere twixt back of mirror and back of pupil.
One may question if the line of sight is focussed in the mind or in the space,
hence the practice.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Ah, not entirely off topic, since the line of sight is the operative carrier of the light action. Changing the line of sight produces the nearly continuous experience we call vision, and many very tiny and quick eye movements are incorporated into the vision dynamic to enable this "extension".

Rightly understood, imo, the line of sight conception controverts the wave theory, and paired with the understanding that light action is a centropic [source-directed] pressure event, sets aside the corpuscular nature as well. All that is left is line of sight, a vectoral phenomenon. Add the requirement of a pinhole, slit, edge, prism, or other imaging structure, and you discover the spectrum. Light is rays/vectors, not waves or particles.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:23 pm

... a vectoral phenomenon. Add the requirement of a pinhole, slit, edge, prism, or other imaging structure, and you discover the spectrum. Light is rays/vectors, not waves or particles. -Webo
The "not waves or particles" is readily apparent; however with the dualistic concept of "vector" you've added a Variable to the definition, right?
Also, what constrains a light beam, in this model, to a "line of sight" without cross+section ?

Happy New Years

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Great volley!
However, my "vectors" are not dualistic, unless by that you mean direction+magnitude...
If you read most of my 1000's of other posts on other threads regarding the nature of light, you will find my frequent reference to light as "beams" of finite diameter. So while it is convenient to model light vectors with optical ray diagrams, the finite nature of light is radiant beams, reminiscent of the root of this Christmas season! :D
In my centropic pressure field theory [CPFT] the operant elementary light vector/beam is either directed toward you [dark], or toward the "source" as a sink [light]. Force vectors impinging upon the viewer at angles to the central line of sight, as elicited by focal devices like slits, edges, pinholes, lenses, prisms, beamsplitters, etc. generate the light spectrum, blue to red. Dyes, filters, lasing materials, BE concentrates, and other variably acting surface materials modify the received hues by means of internal reflection [aka absorption] based on their peculiar electronic/electrical configurations.

I don't get too many folks reflecting back my belief that light is not waves or particles! :o

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Cheers mate
However, my "vectors" are not dualistic, unless by that you mean direction+magnitude...

In my centropic pressure field theory [CPFT] the operant elementary light vector/beam is either directed toward you [dark], or toward the "source" as a sink [light]. Force vectors impinging upon the viewer at angles to the central line of sight, as elicited by focal devices like slits, edges, pinholes, lenses, prisms, beamsplitters, etc. generate the light spectrum, blue to red. Dyes, filters, lasing materials, BE concentrates, and other variably acting surface materials modify the received hues by means of internal reflection [aka absorption] based on their peculiar electronic/electrical configurations.

If you read most of my 1000's of other posts on other threads regarding the nature of light, you will find my frequent reference to light as "beams" of finite diameter. So while it is convenient to model light vectors with optical ray diagrams, the finite nature of light is radiant beams, reminiscent of the root of this Christmas season! :D
I think it’s usually computed as direction x magnitude (measured as Intensity for ‘light’, but whichever. So those factors are given, for each beam.

[Any angle chosen is relative to incidence; so all those listed “impingings” are tertiary effects and not inherent in beam.]

The “finite diameter” assigned however, does present a highly variable density-of-states factor (normally measured as a cross-sectional density = J).

And what about rotation? Is there any light radiation known that does Not have a certain ‘polarization’ when detected as reflected or absorbed {source or sink} ?
Ever see a flash of dark?

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Great questions.
Flash of dark? Not that I can envision. Pun strictly intended.
Tertiary effects, yes. That's part of the answer to the Olbers paradox. But that is a topic unto itself that already has an old thread somewhere.
"Angle relative to incidence" as a vectoral gradient defines color for me, with no regard for the derivative "wavelength" of Young's theory.
Yes, light in practically all of it's manifestations carries an acquired [not intrinsic, I think] polarization. every reflection polarizes the light beam. Every edge, including slits and pinholes polarizes the beam. Lensing circularly polarizes the light. Obviously, diffraction grating polarizes the light. I have trouble with "rotational" characterizations of light polarization; but am fascinated by little experiments I've done with polarizing 3D glasses... take three of those little "lenses" and superimpose them in different configurations... some very confounding effects are revealed, which to me are only explainable in terms of vector action, although circular polarization and "rotation" are invoked...
In reference to finite diameter, I must concede that my "beams" though practically cylindrical, must be actually conical, leading to an inevitable variability that will be invoked by whatever photosensitive device configuration is being employed...

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:59 am

Plasmonic Lasers

Dark Lattice Modes,” ... visible light frequencies.

"A dark mode can be intuitively understood by considering regular antennas: A single antenna, when driven by a current, radiates strongly, whereas two antennas — if driven by opposite currents and positioned very close to each other — radiate very little," explained Törmä.
"A dark mode in a nanoparticle array induces similar opposite-phase currents in each nanoparticle, but now with visible light frequencies.”

The laser operation in this work is based on silver nanoparticles arranged in a periodic array. In contrast to conventional lasers, where the feedback of the lasing signal is provided by ordinary mirrors, this nanolaser utilizes
radiative coupling between silver nanoparticles. These 100-nanometer-sized particles act as tiny antennas. To produce high intensity laser light, the interparticle distance was matched with the lasing wavelength so that all particles of the array radiate in unison.
Here, we experimentally demonstrate lasing at the visible wavelengths in both bright and dark modes of the plasmonic lattice. A new concept to access the dark modes is introduced, which is based on a gradual, coherent build-up of dipole moments in a finite lattice.
http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13687

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Allow me to indulge in a paradigm shifting claim regarding light, which applies directly to EM theory in general, incl laser theory. To have waves infers an inverse relation with frequency, well known from acoustics and wave theory, incl EM wave theory, Maxwell's equations, etc. But the reverse is not true, ie. frequency does not infer waves. However configurations such as electron "orbitals" must spin, rearrange, "stretch", rebound, and otherwise be altered by the frequency of light impinging upon them, causing a slight delay. While this resulting color effect [dye or filter] is then selectively relayed to the observer by reflection, no propagating waves are required, nor does one need to accept without mechanism that wavelengths are being differentially absorbed by the electron configuration. What I'm trying to say is that the relative energy "punch" of light is conveyed via frequency, not wavelength. The argument then turns to some sort of photonic energy packaging, which I say is also not necessary. What we have is a finite light action, ie. a vectoral "tug" [you know I mean push] toward the light source/centroid, the fundamental operational quantum of which is a finite impulse; others see this finite impulse as a corpuscular "photon", I am content to use that word only for the sake of discussion. The frequency of these impulses [individually distinct as must be the case if they are finite] effects the energy delivery.
Now suppose these impulses are generated by a periodic mechanism, as in rotating and revolving electrons in elements/compounds found on the hot surface of... [whatever, a flame, a filament, a gas tube, a star...], the periodic "engine" of the impulses will deliver them in a fashion that exhibits as an undulating function. The sending mechanism and receiving device are made to be resonant with each other, so that the signal can be visualized. Voila, waves! But the light itself is not medium-less propagating wavefronts, rather these finite impulses modulated by a rotary engine, and received by an electrically resonant detector. There are delays built into the sending and receiving mechanisms, as well as the filtering materials through which the light radiates and the dyes that reflect it, but the impulse is fundamentally instantaneous across the space between sender [field centroid] and observer [peripheral field member], ie. the entire field changes simultaneously with the collapsing electrical centroid surface.
It usually takes pages to say all that... does this summary make sense? Questions? Comments? Eggs and tomatoes?

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Some say tomato, some say eggs...

A well thought out and reasoned interpretation of the paper's conclusions, and with impressive succinctity, indulgence allowed! :D
Lasing at the nanometre scale promises strong light-matter interactions and ultrafast operation. Plasmonic resonances supported by metallic nanoparticles have extremely small mode volumes and high field enhancements, making them an ideal platform for studying nanoscale lasing. At visible frequencies, however, the applicability of plasmon resonances is limited due to strong ohmic and radiative losses. Intriguingly, plasmonic nanoparticle arrays support non-radiative dark modes that offer longer life-times but are inaccessible to far-field radiation. Here, we show lasing both in dark and bright modes of an array of silver nanoparticles combined with optically pumped dye molecules. Linewidths of 0.2 nm at visible wavelengths and room temperature are observed. Access to the dark modes is provided by a coherent out-coupling mechanism based on the finite size of the array. The results open a route to utilize all modes of plasmonic lattices, also the high-Q ones, for studies of strong light-matter interactions, condensation and photon fluids.
Due the density of both paper and post, may i be permitted a line-by-line attempt at response.

"Maxwell's equations, etc.

Can we agree that Maxwell's Eqs allow for two distinct and omnipresent electrical entities with all 'radiation/light' (maybe three counting Mathisonian gravity, but we needn't go there now) ?
i.e. dielectric induction (capacitance=Amps) and electromagnetic induction (inductance=Volts). The product of which gives space, and every thing else, its characteristic Impedance+ redshift, blueshift, refraction, etc.

"What I'm trying to say is that the relative energy "punch" of light is conveyed via frequency, not wavelength ....The frequency of these impulses [individually distinct as must be the case if they are finite] effects the energy delivery.

So you have now identified both the (mandatory) directionality and force of your "vectoral".
And also introduced a third factor, being the periodicity.

The reason i began here with the the composite nature of Z "impedance of free space", is that light seems to produce your "undulations", even in a 'vacuum'; and i'm proposing that it is the E and the H that are doing the waving. Zo=E/H

..."the entire field changes simultaneously with the collapsing electrical centroid surface.

A coincident periodicity implied there is simply an On-Off? That would seem to be a complication.
I think i'm agreeing with your model to say that yes, in One (bi)- Direction, out of an infinite possible number of directions/angles, the aetheric response to an impulse is "instantaneous". . [ Dollard and Tesla might reference a 'counter-space', outside of Cartesian space.]
Or Dielectric strain versus Magnetic motion, for simplicity's sake.

" ...the fundamental operational quantum of which is a finite impulse"

You just had to drop an acorn in the porridge, eh ? ;)
As mentioned previously,
Forget for now Fields, Particles and Waves: they are just temporal energetic forms.
but an "impulse" involves matter, unless it is just thought/consciousness/spirit; in which case Kevin has a better explanation of light, seriously.

I maintain that as long as we are operating in the material world, an aetheric matrix is implicit, and we are then led to consideration of yet another degree or two of complexity with that fluid matrix; beyond just vectoral tensions and periodic motions, but that is another thread,
thankfully...

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 am

My "acorn"... a discrete light impulse, ie. F x t, only involves matter in that it produces the effect of moving matter, momentum, ie. M x v. To imagine these are the same thing, ie. Ft = Mv, is to forget that this is a mathematical statement of conservation rather than of physical equality. So no, not an acorn, but a spoonful of porridge! ;) Actually there is no physical analog for my "photon" impulses because they are actually just the finite result of detecting a fluctuating field, ie. the resonant detector activated by the particular frequency of impulse generation. It's "on-off", in that there cannot be an "infinitely dense" continuity of fluctuation... how to illustrate this...?... the "continuous spectrum", for example, is not fundamentally continuous at all, but made of a conglomeration of signals with different overlapping frequencies such that, if you stretch it out for closer examination, you find it full of "holes". Our detector of this light impulse, eg. the retina, is likewise hundred thousands of mini detectors, sending a "flow" of discrete signals to the brain at a rate that is interpreted as continuous. Resonant detectors at the periphery of a field are required to "realize" the different frequencies of light signal production at the field centroid.
Your "aetheric matrix" is my field geometry... perhaps the definition of matter is a geometric one? I'm not entirely opposed to Kevin's hypermetaphysical outlook... just can't understand a word he says :?

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 pm

~
FS Pulses in Mid-IR Wavelengths
Could Reveal Inner Workings of Atoms
Much like a musical synthesizer combines notes to generate a new sound, the laser pulse synthesizer combines pulses from the range of mid-IR wavelengths to generate shorter pulses. When the pulses are combined, constructive interference in the middle of the pulses is additive while deconstructive interference cancels out the outer edges of the pulses. The pulses become shorter and shorter, until a sub-cycle pulse is created...
By maintaining pulse stability and making sure that the pulses precisely overlapped both temporally and spatially, researchers were able to combine them into synthesized pulses that were only 13 fs wide and spanned 2.5 to 9 µ with 33 microjoules (µJ) of energy.
"These mid-IR pulses will allow new types of experiments that explore dynamics taking place in atoms, molecules and solids," said researcher Kyung-Han Hong. "For example, we can use them to take a movie of how electrons behave inside of atoms and solids."

The research team has explored using the high-energy, mid-IR pulses for high-harmonic generation to produce coherent pulses in the extreme UV and soft x-ray regions.

"Compared to near-IR and visible light, mid-IR pulses accelerate electrons to much higher energies and, thereby, generate higher energy photons," said Hong. "Also, isolation of soft x-ray pulses becomes easier at these wavelengths."
https://www.osapublishing.org/abstract. ... leSupplMat
https://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx? ... 41&IID=923

seasmith

Unread post by seasmith » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:22 am

spin flips

CHIRAL OPTICS
What one learns at school is that light oscillates under a right angle (transversal) with respect to its direction of propagation. Among experts, however, it was already known that light behaves differently when it is confined strongly in the transversal plane using so-called “photonic structures”.

In particular, this is the case for special ultra-thin glass fibers which have a diameter of only a few hundred nanometers (one nanometer is a millionth part of a millimeter) and which are thereby smaller than the wavelength of light. Also waveguides based on so-called “photonic crystals” (two-dimensional structures with periodically arranged holes) can confine light in this way.

In this situation, the light also oscillates along its propagation direction (longitudinal). The combination of transversal and longitudinal oscillation leads to a rotating electric field which physicist call circular polarization.
Without the spatial confinement, the electric field associated with circularly polarized light behaves like the propeller of an aircraft whose axis is parallel to the direction of propagation.
“However, in narrow photonic waveguides, the electric field of the light resembles the rotor of a helicopter,” explains Arno Rauschenbeutel from the Vienna Center for Quantum Science and Technology at the Institute of Atomic and Subatomic Physics of TU Wien, Austria.
Here, the spin of the light points along the axis of the rotor and is therefore oriented perpendicular to the propagation direction of the light....

This direction-dependence (chirality) is the underlying concept of “chiral quantum optics” and occurs not only for the emission of light, but also for absorption and scattering.
http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology- ... =45704.php

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:52 am

Though highly theoretical, this is very interesting work. I've been looking into chirality and polarization for some time, and I have to say some of the "measurements" they claim to be making are a bit "black box"-y to me. Circular polarization I get as a geometric/symmetric consequence of the vector math [ie. magnitude and directionality] of line of sight [they say propagation] and the pressure gradient [they say transverse] nature of a light action. The 3D EM field aspect is self-evident. But I'm confused by their manner of "measuring" the effects of field modification... what is meant by "time reversal" for example? And what are they actually directly observing or measuring here?