Regarding recent guests to our forum...

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

hertz

Re: Regarding recent guests to our forum...

Unread post by hertz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:30 am

it'll be interesting to see which national space agency gets there "firstest with the mostest"...not unlikely that there's some internal jockeying going on...who takes the blame, who takes the credit...but bob's right...we're within spittin' distance

EdgeGuy

Unread post by EdgeGuy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi all.
I am thrilled to have found this forum and just signed up.
I noticed there is no place for newbe's to introduce themselves or to be welcomed.
I know this is not the place for this (because there is no place for this) but I think it would help.
Sorry for the interruption.
Edge.

Goldminer

Unread post by Goldminer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm

EdgeGuy wrote:Hi all.
I noticed there is no place for newbe's to introduce themselves or to be welcomed.
I know this is not the place for this (because there is no place for this) but I think it would help.
Edge.
You are welcome. You are not interrupting anyone. There are no stupid questions here. If you think you understand something, try to explain it to us. You'll find out soon enough whether you do nor not. Some things are obvious, but unseen because of one's viewpoint. Keep an open but not empty mind. Learn about fallacious arguments and logical criticism. If you have a genuine thirst for real knowledge, you will have loads of delight putting the puzzle pieces together here at Thunderbolts forum!
I sense a disturbance in the farce.

EdgeGuy

Unread post by EdgeGuy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 am

Goldminer wrote:
EdgeGuy wrote:Hi all.
Edge.
You are welcome. You are not interrupting anyone. There are no stupid questions here. If you think you understand something, try to explain it to us. You'll find out soon enough whether you do nor not. Some things are obvious, but unseen because of one's viewpoint. Keep an open but not empty mind. Learn about fallacious arguments and logical criticism. If you have a genuine thirst for real knowledge, you will have loads of delight putting the puzzle pieces together here at Thunderbolts forum!
Thanks for the welcome Goldminer.

skyline

Unread post by skyline » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello everyone..

I am a newbie in this forum. I joined here because I'd like to interact with people about different topics. And hopefully I could make friends from here as well.

Actually I was looking for an introduction forum where I could say "hi" to all members but did not find one. Sorry to post my message here, I know this is not the appropriate place for me to.

Have a nice day!

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 pm

skyline,

Welcome to the Thunderbolts forum.
The commercial link in your signature has been removed.
Posting commercial links that have nothing to do with
the Electric Universe is generally frowned upon.
Please review the rules and guidelines of our forum.

thanks,
Nick

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:23 am

Mods,

As the forum gets increasingly popular, two things come to mind:

1. For the genuinely curious, would it be possible to start a Newbie area to welcome new visitors? This would be a great area to link Jim's Essential Guide and other key references.
2. Regarding spammers, would it be feasible, technically and workload-wise, to have full moderation or approval for new accounts or first postings so that spam could be avoided? Obviously mods currently clear this stuff up retrospectively but if spammers couldn't be published, they wouldn't bother trying.

I certainly don't know enough to judge how good either of these suggestions is but if an additional pair of hands would help I'd be willing to do my bit.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

hi tayga,
Thanks for the suggestions.
1. I do not know if an intro area has ever been considered, not a bad idea.
It seems that most new forum members have come here after reading EU literature...tpod's, The Essential Guide, Holoscience, Scott's The Electric Sky, etc etc. Then they come here with questions, issues, disagreement, support, or otherwise.
The Holoscience site has an excellent intro to the EU here.

2. We do have some anti spammer defenses, but the spammers are also continually making adjustments, requiring diligence by the mods and administrators. Most forum members do not see most of the spam because it is vaporized asap.
The best action a forum member can take when encountering a spammer is to not post a response, but simply report the post. This is done by clicking the red exclamation point in the lower right corner of the offending post. It will bring up a short form in which you can just label the post as spam. This will be brought to the attention of a moderator when they log on. We have several forum members who regularly use the "report post" feature to report spammers, this is much appreciated.

Nick

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 am

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

I'll opt for spam vigilantism then :D
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

tayga

Unread post by tayga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Welcome, Aldriche.

Fill your boots - there's plenty of good stuff here. I've barely scraped the surface in over 2 years!
tayga

- Richard P. Feynman

- Thomas Kuhn

kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:44 am

tayga wrote:Thanks for the reply, Nick.

I'll opt for spam vigilantism then :D
Tayga .. I just bagged my first spammer,.. felt good! :D

tonto8119

Unread post by tonto8119 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not the site.I didn't know where else to post this but i just have to get it off my chest.Thank you so much to the Thunderbolts team and everyone else who was and still is involved in keeping this site running!I am eternally grateful to you all.I'm just an average joe who was always interested in science as a kid but unfortunately did not make a career from it but i always followed the mainstream astrophysics news with awe and wonder.However i became disillusioned and frustrated in the mid noughties and practically gave up my interest in astrophysics as i felt i was no longer even capable of understanding the basics which i was pretty gutted by i have to say as i thought it was me!Then i stumbled upon a Thunderbolts video and heard David Talbot's magical narrative tone and was instantly captivated.Little did i know what was to follow when i clicked that Thunderbolts link.One of the reasons i hated the bb theory was because it says the universe is "this size" and "that old",how could we ever know such a thing?I personally have always believed that we can never know such a thing and may never know.To hear Wallace Thornhill say that EU theory accepts "a universe of unknown age and extent" was personally very gratifying.I am finally in a position to purchase a decent set of binos (25x100) and get out there to observe this beautiful universe and i feel the timing could not be better.Amateurs are just as important as the experts i feel.Imagine discovering a comet that tips the balance in EU theory's favour,your name could be in the history books forever!I have high hopes again and science for me has become very interesting again.You are an inspiration,Thank you Thunderbolts!

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Your sentiments and story echo with a lot of us, bud! Lots of us feel exactly the same. :)
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

jone dae

Unread post by jone dae » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm

to mharratsc re/his/her original comment:
-Quite.
Jone Dae

dielectric

Unread post by dielectric » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am VERY excited to continue to learn by engaging with members on this forum. I just have a question. I posted on the mad new ideas section of the forum and do not see my post :?:
Do you know how long it takes to see my post up?