THUNDERBOLTS/NPA LOGISTICS

New threads (topics) in the Announcements forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. Of course, users are encouraged to post replies where appropriate.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

earls

Re: Electric Universe at the NPA

Unread post by earls » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:59 pm

UofMD? :O I'll definitely be there! This is a dream come true.

I wonder if ol Bob Park will be present.

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Well, I can't speak for others here on the Thunderbolts forum, but I am thrilled to have the opportunity of a life time in less than three months: The Natural Philosophy Alliance / Thunderbolts conference in College Park Maryland July 6th through July 9th.

Consider the unprecendented opportunity for EU / PC enthusiasts and researchers to synergize, collaborate, and rub shoulders with the most insightful, open-minded, independent scientists and researchers in so many diverse fields; men and women who have devoted lifetimes and even sacrificed mainstream careers in many cases, to genuine progress in science and the broader avenues of natural philosophy.

I hope someday to look back at my attendance at the NPA18 conference as a watershed event in the Electric Universe movement.

And now, back down to earth! Are there others just like me who are struggling with logistical and financial concerns of how to turn the dream of BEING THERE IN JULY into a reality? Are there people who are willing to share travel and lodging accomodations to reduce costs? If so I have a suggestion.

First, consider making a commitment to stay at the U of M dorms, which could solve so many local logistical and financial problems for everyone. It is simple to do, start here http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=33:33 to register for the conference online, then go here http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=27:27 to review the amazingly affordable lodging prices, and select your preferred dorm lodging option. The only catch here is that U of M will need 50 dorm reservations for that option to be in effect. But even if we fail to get the 50 dorms, why not reply to this post and indicate your interest in attending the conference, your willingness to possibly share accomodations of lodging, or possibly your need for or willingness to assist with carpooling with others who are making the trek to Maryland for the conference. If you'll do that, we'll do our best to personally assist you on these logistical fronts.

Maybe this thread could become a waystation for coordinating carpooling and roomshare lodging solutions for the conference. Anyone else second the motion?
Mark Spann
EU2014 Conference room and ride share coordinator
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

earls

Unread post by earls » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 am

Depending on permissions, I would be happy to facilitate the recording / webcasting of the event. Just let me know what I can do and/or who I need to coordinate/speak with.

David Talbott
Site Admin

THUNDERBOLTS/NPA LOGISTICS

Unread post by David Talbott » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

It seems we have a well qualified volunteer in Mark Spann to assist in coordinating room sharing and car pooling logistics wherever these might be helpful to folks. So this post will serve to launch logistical discussion spearheaded by Mark, with much appreciation by the Thunderbolts team.

markspann

Re: THUNDERBOLTS/NPA LOGISTICS

Unread post by markspann » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks for the intro Dave, and hello to everyone on the forum who may be needing assistance in ridersharing to the Conference, or may be seeking roomsharing with other attendees for the week. As Dave mentioned, I have volunteered to be the point-person for helping Thunderbolts and NPA members as well to find ways to experience the NPA 18 Conference at lower costs.I would especially like to encourage all Thunderbolts members who are planning to drive by car to Maryland from your locale to please post here if you are willing to assist other members seeking rideshare/carpooling in your vicinity and along your route, and to please include your departure date, departure city, and general route-to-destination info and how many additional passengers you may be able to accomodate. This will allow us to help match members seeking ridersharing with nearby travelers.

Regarding lodging and roomsharing, If you have a hotel room reserved in Maryland for the confererence, and are able and willing to allow other conference attendees to lodge with you, please post here your lodging info: hotel name and location, whether its a double or single, smoking or non-smoking, etc. ( note: most hotels will allow additional guests in the same room using rollaway beds - please inquire about maximum occupancy and beds before posting ).

So, please let us know what your travel and lodging plans are here in this thread if you can help others experience NPA18 in College Park, MD in July. Please do not hesitate to call or email me as soon as you decide to go, so the Thunderbolts group may assist you.

Best Regards -

Mark Spann, Thunderbolts Travel & Lodging coordinator
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:26 am

Also, NPA is hoping to get enough commitments to dorm accommodations, so they can actually book the dorms on-campus. They say they need a minimum of 50 guests committed to use of the dorms. So, that might be another consideration/option when planning attendance. Though, if they don't get 50 commitments, they might not be able to get dorm space and folks might have to find other options...

Just a thought.

http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=27:27
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 am

Well, I can't speak for others here on the Thunderbolts forum, but I am thrilled to have the opportunity of a life time in less than three months: The Natural Philosophy Alliance / Thunderbolts conference in College Park Maryland July 6th through July 9th.

Consider the unprecendented opportunity for EU / PC enthusiasts and researchers to synergize, collaborate, and rub shoulders with the most insightful, open-minded, independent scientists and researchers in so many diverse fields; men and women who have devoted lifetimes and even sacrificed mainstream careers in many cases, to genuine progress in science and the broader avenues of natural philosophy.

I hope someday to look back at my attendance at the NPA18 conference as a watershed event in the Electric Universe movement.

And now, back down to earth! Are there others just like me who are struggling with logistical and financial concerns of how to turn the dream of BEING THERE IN JULY into a reality? Are there people who are willing to share travel and lodging accomodations to reduce costs?

First, making a commitment to stay at the U of M dorms is the essential thing to do right now, as MichaelGmirkin and Dave Talbot have suggested, which could solve so many local logistical and financial problems for everyone. It is simple to do, start here http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=33:33 to register for the conference online, then go here http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=27:27 to review the amazingly affordable lodging prices, and select your preferred dorm lodging option. The only catch here is that U of M will need 50 dorm reservations for that option to be in effect. But even if we fail to get the 50 dorms, why not reply to this post and indicate your interest in attending the conference, your willingness to possibly share accomodations of lodging, or possibly your need for or willingness to assist with carpooling with others who are making the trek to Maryland for the conference. If you'll do that, we'll do our best to personally assist you on these logistical fronts.

- Mark Spann
Thunderbolts Team Lodging/Roomsharing & Ridesharing Coordinator
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 am

The link to U of M Dorm pricing and info in the above post didn't work for some reason, so let me try again :
http://conf18.worldnpa.org/index.php?mo ... tion=27:27

Mark Spann
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

atherophage

Unread post by atherophage » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 am

Looking @ the links on the university's site... is parking really going to run us $15.00/day, if we stay in the dorms?
Is paring any cheaper if we arrive on a motorcycle?

Ath

David Talbott
Site Admin

Unread post by David Talbott » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Since we have two active threads relating to the NPA/Thunderbolts event, comments on speakers, subject matter, video recording, and film and television production should be posted there.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... 47&start=0

David Talbott

atherophage

Unread post by atherophage » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:15 pm

To help others find the site, here's a link:

http://www.thestamp.umd.edu/visitorInfo ... ions.shtml

I'd like to have a simple address to plot.
I'm not at all familiar with the area, but I think the closest rail station is Union Station:

50 Massachusetts Avenue NE
Union Station
Washington, DC 20002

atherophage

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm

atherophage wrote:To help others find the site, here's a link:

http://www.thestamp.umd.edu/visitorInfo ... ions.shtml

I'm not at all familiar with the area, but I think the closest rail station is Union Station:

Union Station
Washington, DC 20002

atherophage

Union Station
Washington, DC 20002

atherophage[/quote]

Indeed, atherophage, that is the correct location address for the closest Amtrak station. In fact, Amtrak has especially affordable rates if you book your trip early. I chose that option myself for travel arrangements. Here is the Amtrak website if you want to check out fares from your area to D.C. roundtrip : http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... k/HomePage
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 pm

atherophage wrote:Looking @ the links on the university's site... is parking really going to run us $15.00/day, if we stay in the dorms?
Is paring any cheaper if we arrive on a motorcycle?

Ath

Ath, I agree with you that this parking is excessive, which is one of the factors that dissuading me from traveling by car (I chose Amtrak rail), but end-user fee hikes at public institutions like this $15/per day parking fee at the U of M is happening all across the nation as these institutions seek ever more desperate ways to close the gap between spiraling operating costs and funding cuts at both the state and Federal levels.

As for the motorcycle parking fee, I don't know the answer to that, but I will certainly try to find out if it is any cheaper than the stated $15/per day, and I'll post it here.
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1

David Talbott
Site Admin

Unread post by David Talbott » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 am

Many thanks to Mark Spann (from both Greg Volk and me) for his help on travel and lodging logistics.

Perhaps someone on a reasonable route from Ames Iowa to the University of Maryland would like to be picked up along the way? Ev Cochrane and I will be heading out in early morning July 4, expecting to arrive early morning July 5. That will give us time to meet some new friends prior to the conference.

Others within a day's driving distance of the University might also want to make rides available on a cost sharing basis.

markspann

Unread post by markspann » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:00 am

atherophage wrote:Looking @ the links on the university's site... is parking really going to run us $15.00/day, if we stay in the dorms?
Is parking any cheaper if we arrive on a motorcycle?

Ath
Ath, as NPA Conference attendeees, our parking rates will be only $8 per day, not the published public rate of $15. I think you still have to pay the daily parking rate even if on a motorcycle, but if I find out different, I'll post that info here in the thread.
Mark Spann
(251) 648-0006
markspann@gmail.com
Skype ID = mark.spann1