The Mystery of the Shrinking Red Star

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

The Mystery of the Shrinking Red Star

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:04 pm

June 28 ~ Wal Thornhill

We cannot see what is not on our mental 'map.' Almost the entire visible universe is in the form of highly-conductive plasma but electrical discharge in plasma is nowhere on the map.

The red supergiant star Betelgeuse, the bright reddish star in the constellation Orion, has steadily shrunk over the past 15 years, according to researchers at the University of California, Berkeley. Betelgeuse's radius is about five astronomical units, or five times the radius of Earth's orbit. The average speed at which the radius of the star is shrinking over the last 15 years is approximately 470-490 miles per hour. That means the star's radius has shrunk by a distance equal to the orbit of Venus... [More]

(Note: Forgot to post this one when it was published - sorry...)
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

flyingcloud

Re: The Mystery of the Shrinking Red Star

Unread post by flyingcloud » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 am

Earth 'to get second sun' as supernova turns night into day

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1CKjeplQc
The only real debate is over exactly when it will happen.

In stellar terms, Betelgeuse is predicted to crash and burn in the very near future
However...
Such fear is misplaced. The evolutionary story of self-immolating thermonuclear stars is wrong. Betelgeuse is merely a young star that has not achieved the kind of electrical equilibrium that comes with a bright main sequence photosphere. And supernovae are galactic “electrical circuit breakers,” not a fanciful stellar implosion followed by explosion. There is, in fact, firm evidence of external triggering of supernovae, which is shown in the non-random periodic behavior of extragalactic supernovae. Plasma physicist Anthony Peratt has noted, “Supernovae in the plasma community are viewed as the release of energy from a galactic-dimensioned filament.” And the aftermath of a supernova is clearly an axial Z-pinch plasma discharge configuration.
http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=jdjcab6s

I'm sure it will be an unexpected surprise

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:10 am

Flyingcloud said:
I'm sure it will be an unexpected surprise
Especially if we see it suddenly pop onto the main sequence, in reverse of mainstream expectations. ;)

I can envision the headline that goes with it, too:

"Red giant star gets new lease on life

A shocking surprise greeted astronomers today as a red giant star suddenly got a shot of cosmic Botox and reverted in age to a main sequence yellow primary.

"We were flabbergasted and flummoxed," quipped Astronomer_01, "We've never seen anything like it... not even in video games!"

Theoretical astrophysicists suspect that String Theory tied itself in a knot and caused the issue, and are hard at work trying to find the mathematical validity of their preposter... err, their proposition.

"Well, the good news is- this should keep us funded for at least a couple of years as we try to figure out how this latest surprise can be made to show how we were right about stellar aging all along..." commented NASA experts.

Article courtesy Astronomy Group-Think Daily"

o.O
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

flabbergasted and flummoxed
where do i sign up to get my flabber gasted and flummoxed? :)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire