Einstein's Elusive Gravitational Waves

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Einstein's Elusive Gravitational Waves

Unread post by davesmith_au » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 pm

August 07, 2009 ~ Guest Contribution - Stephen J. Crothers.

It is claimed that the LIGO and LISA projects will detect Einstein's gravitational waves. The existence of these waves is entirely theoretical. Over the past forty years or so no Einstein gravitational waves have been detected. How long must the search go on, at great expense to the public purse, before the astrophysical scientists admit that their search is fruitless and a waste of vast sums of public money? The fact is, from day one, the search for these elusive waves has been destined to detect nothing. Here are some reasons why. ... [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Influx

Re: Einstein's Elusive Gravitational Waves

Unread post by Influx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:55 am

I am just wondering, how sensitive the detectors will have to get before they will admit that something is a miss? I mean what if they build something that is a hundred times more sensitive and precise than what they have now AND find nothing! What then?
Today is the yesterday of tomorrow.

StevenO

Unread post by StevenO » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Logically you cannot prove anything by detecting nothing. It just highlights the current state of physics "science"....like the emperor's clothes.
First, God decided he was lonely. Then it got out of hand. Now we have this mess called life...
The past is out of date. Start living your future. Align with your dreams. Now execute.

solrey

Unread post by solrey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Here is the latest, none discovery.
This time, scientists are excited to find nothing.

In results announced today, a huge physics experiment built to detect gravitational waves has yet to find any.

Rather than be disappointed by the null findings, physicists say the results were expected, and in fact help them narrow down possibilities for what the universe was like just after it was born.
The results were expected? I'm calling BS on this one. If I remember correctly, they had at one time been surprised to have detected nothing. Please, somebody correct me if my memory is like a Fawlty Tower. LOL (Any John Cleese fans?)

Watch them stumble all over themselves as they backpedal with all their might.
"I wouldn't say it's surprising that we're ruling them out," said Vuk Mandic, a physicist at the University of Minnesota who led the new analysis. Most physicists think the models that would have produced gravitational waves above the threshold that could have been seen so far are unlikely, he said.
The next phase of the project, called Advanced LIGO, will improve the experiment's sensitivity, allowing scientists to probe a volume of space about 1,000 times larger than the current project's range.

"If Advanced LIGO doesn't see gravitational waves I think people will be very surprised," Mandic told SPACE.com. "It is likely such a situation would require revision of General Relativity."
Gee, ya think? We seem to be hearing that a lot these days.
Let's just keep on revising a theory that's been falsified a thousand times over. What's that one definition of insanity again? Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results every time?
How about dumping General Relativity all together, you mainstream theoretical mathematician gatekeepers you, come on...I dare ya.

Betchya a dollar they don't find any "gravity waves" after the enhanced sensitivity and range of LIGO comes online.
Any takers? :lol:
“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
Nikola Tesla

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:55 am

"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster