Author James P. Hogan Dies at Age 69...

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Author James P. Hogan Dies at Age 69...

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 am

July 13, 2010 ~ The Thunderbolts Project

It is with deepest regret that we acknowledge the death of Author James P. Hogan at age 69. He passed away suddenly at his home in Ireland and no cause of death has been announced at this stage.

[More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

aristotlejones

JAMES P. HOGAN DIES AT AGE 69

Unread post by aristotlejones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:40 am

JAMES P. HOGAN DIES AT AGE 69
======================
We are saddened to report the passing of James P. Hogan at the age of 69.

Jim was alone at his home in Ireland when he died suddenly yesterday, July 12, 2010.

The precise cause of Jim's death has not yet been determined, nor is the exact time known.

We are in touch with the family and will release further information as it becomes available.

Tim Gleason
Sysadm, JamesPHogan.com

This Newsletter has been posted to:

http://www.jamesphogan.com/mailarchive/ ... enumber=59

==========================
What a shock! I met Jim twice at scifi cons and he was always engaged and entertaining. I can take credit for being one of the people nudging him to take more of an interest in EU issues and was very pleased to see that he put his writing talents to supporting the case, as well as writing fictional portrayals of the implications. It is a shame that he could not do more.

Regards,

Aristotle Jones

aristotlejones

Re: JAMES P. HOGAN DIES AT AGE 69

Unread post by aristotlejones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 am

Followup:

To read some of Jims EU related articles, go to http://www.jamesphogan.com/bb/
Especially the following categories:
Astronomy & Cosmology; Catastrophism; Physics & Relativity; Science - General.

Also, I found this fitting comment on Jim's accomplishments and perspective at:
http://www.sfsite.com/news/2010/07/12/o ... s-p-hogan/
Jacklyn Hogan — July 14, 2010 @ 1:04 am wrote:A man has died. A man who spent his life being a father to his children, who spent many years of his life writing provocative,entertaining, uplifting, scientifically well thought out books for the public domain. This man hated the very idea that any group could silence inquiry into anything at all. Not just the Official version of the Holocaust, or Nuclear Energy, or AIDS research or Einsteins Theories or Fairies at the foot of the garden. He was a friend to many people, not just the “popular thinkers”. I think that he enjoyed the Velakovski’s of the world rather than the Carl Sagan’s. Give him a pint and a good subject to expound around and he was a happy man. I am saddened and at a loss with his passing. You who sneer at what you think you know about this man can ask yourselves what you have done in this world that is as grand as the works of James P. Hogan. I shall miss you JP. -Jackie Hogan-
<Φ>aj

aristotlejones

Unread post by aristotlejones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

More followup:

Jim's two talks on EU can be downloaded from here:

http://www.jamesphogan.com/news/

Also, here is an old convention report titled How James P. Hogan Saved the World that reminded me how funny he was. Make sure you read at least to the part about the long legged kinky redhead...

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2003/200 ... ogan.shtml

<Φ>aj

venn

Unread post by venn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

I just met James for the first time last weekend at the SIS lecture "Exploring the Electric Universe" given by Wallace Thornhill in Redhill (Surrey). We talked during the meeting, we talked after the meeting sitting at a small Italian restaurant, we had beer in a pub. At 10 PM on Saturday evening we parted, he flew back to Ireland on Sunday. We exchanged emails after the trip, the last one from him to me is dated Monday 12.07. 12:27 (GMT+2).

I still can't believe it ... :cry:

larryduane100

Re: Author James P. Hogan Dies at Age 69...

Unread post by larryduane100 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:54 pm

I met James 'Pizza' Hogan in the early eighties. He had driven across the U.S.A and when he passed through Sonora, CA he thought he would like to live there as it reminded him of towns from home. He bought a house then and there. I met him at a science fiction convention in Sacramento. He invited me to his place for a family visit and for me to look at a roofing problem. I'll never forget him holding forth with a group of local college kids who hung on every word. He and I went to the local pizza joint and bought pizza and beer for all. That's when he got the nickname my now grown kids still refer to him as.
I have all of his novels and other books. What a disaster that there will be no more....
His vision of a future where all peoples can share a good life through enlightened technology will always be remembered.
Larry White
Antelope, CA

aristotlejones

Unread post by aristotlejones » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Here's an audio interview with Jim in 2004. On hearing his voice again, I was reminded how sincere and gentle he was with others, but also how passionately he believed that technology could improve our lives and social interactions, as long as we park the politics at the door. On the shoulders of giants...

http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org/sho ... il393.html

<Φ>aj

crashcow

Unread post by crashcow » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:53 pm

I only learned of Jim's death yesterday while I was looking something up online, and I'm quite saddened by the news. I came upon one of his books in the mid-90s, and was so impressed (not to mention surprised - surprised because I, a life-long science-fiction reader, had never heard of him before) that I decided at that time to write him a letter both to congratulate him, and to wonder how on Earth I'd managed not to have encountered his work any earlier.

Much to my surprise, he wrote back. We then proceeded to trade replies back and forth for a little while, before losing contact. I found Jim to be both warm and personable - and though I worried myself at the thought of wasting his no-doubt precious time, he took the time to elaborate on some of his ideas, listened attentively to one or two screwball notions of my own - and helped spark an interest in learning more about the Electric Universe.

I know that for the most part I've only lurked here on the Thunderbolts Forum, checking in here & there to read up on the various threads (and occasionally asking screwball questions), but honestly... were it not for Jim, I might never have thought to look.

Your fans will miss you Jim; and I just remembered something - oh, damnit - I was supposed to send you a bottle of Bushmill's as a thank-you. Fifteen years and a lifetime too late.

*sigh*

Sorry about that.

Derick

Unread post by Derick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:24 pm

James P. Hogan is the person who introduced me to the Electric Universe, and for that I am deeply grateful. His article:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig9/hogan1.html

... started me on a most educational and adventurous reading campaign. After finishing that article, I was a little incredulous and flabbergasted about the prospect that the established cosmologists are so wrong, but I already knew that is the norm for history, and James' article was making things really click in the back of my mind because I had already been familiar with some of the problems with established cosmology and I could see how the E.U. addressed them so nicely. I spent the next three months of my free time doing almost nothing except discover more aspects to the Electric Universe body of thought, and I'm very glad to say I now know how solid the evidence in support of it is and how dead the old school should be.

Thank you, Mr. Hogan!

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 am

Welcome aboard, Deric. :)
Derick wrote:[...] I was a little incredulous and flabbergasted about the prospect that the established [_______ - fill in the blank] - are so wrong [...]
Well, there's definitely a lot of that going around these days! :P
It's all about perception.

venn

Unread post by venn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

From an email by Tim Gleason:
The Dublin Medical examiner has deigned (perhaps that's a bit strong, but after all this time it certainly _feels_ that way) to issue an official Death Certificate. The verdict is death caused by a myocardial infarction. In other words, Jim died of a heart attack.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.” - Halton Arp.