The AAAS - Climate Change Causes Blurred Vision

New threads (topics) in the Thunderblogs/Multimedia forum are only to be initiated by Forum Administrators. This is the place for users to comment on or discuss aspects of any individual Thunderblog or Thunderbolts multimedia post.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

davesmith_au
Site Admin

The AAAS - Climate Change Causes Blurred Vision

Unread post by davesmith_au » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 am

July 06, 2011 ~ Dave Smith

Death threats and personal attacks not withstanding, surely the professional integrity of ANY scientist should be open to investigation if evidence emerges of possible misconduct or misuse of essentially public funds. Without stating a position one way or the other on anthropogenic climate change, my understanding of the debacle was not that it was based on "displeasure with their scientific conclusions" but rather on evidence of possible falsification of data/results. There is a huge difference.
- davesmith_au Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:19am [11:19 UTC]

The above comment was submitted by this author to a ScienceNews article which claimed that “[The AAAS Board] decries intimidation of researchers, expresses concern that public access to important data may be in jeopardy”. I also decry intimidation of researchers and am concerned that public access to important data may well be in jeopardy. However the article which followed this introductory statement was anything but supportive of the initial statement. It referred mainly to a statement issued by the Board of the AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) supposedly regarding personal attacks on climate scientists. When you read through the actual statement with a critical eye, you are left to wonder what purpose it could possibly serve, except to obfuscate the real issues of what came to be known as Climategate... [More...]
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

tayga

Re: The AAAS - Climate Change Causes Blurred Vision

Unread post by tayga » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 am

Nice analysis, Dave. It is astonishing how many times the statement conflates requests for information with acts of aggression/harassment. A more cynical person might think that the AAAS is trying to sanction a cover up.

I was glad to see that you were not alone in your criticism of the statement.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

SirWilhelm

Unread post by SirWilhelm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:57 am

This has all the elements of Alinskyite Progressivism. In this article, the global warning advocates try to demonize the oppostion by blurring the distinctions, as pointed out, and accusing the attorney general, and others, of ulterior motives. Shift the blame, make your opponents the bad guys, make them defend themselves, while the manmade globla warming advocates, go about the business of completing their agendas. And it''s working, in more areas than global warming.

mharratsc

Unread post by mharratsc » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 am

1. Nice work, Dave! Don't think anyone could've said it any better than you did! :)

2. I agree, Tayga.

3. An astute strategic assessment, Sir Wilhelm.
Mike H.

"I have no fear to shout out my ignorance and let the Wise correct me, for every instance of such narrows the gulf between them and me." -- Michael A. Harrington