Japanese Myth...

Plasma formations in the ancient sky. The role of planets as charged bodies in these formations. Ground-rules for drawing reliable conclusions. A new approach to the mythic archetypes: is a unified theory of world mythology possible?
David Talbott
Site Admin

Re: Japanese Myth...

Unread post by David Talbott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:43 am

Say there Plasmatic, your readers may wonder who wrote the above article in the journal AEON. :)

'twas I. And I still find it interesting that the Alchemists preserved such archaic traditions--as for example, their identification of Saturn as "the best sun."

David Talbott

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:54 am

Slightly off-topic but here in the UK we have a saying: 'red and green should not be seen'. It's used in connection with fashion-sense and so on.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Millennium

Unread post by Millennium » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:49 pm

This is the best Karura, Japanese Garuda, image which I have:

you can see it in higher resolution at:
http://groupkos.com/mtwain/WOW/FinalPrayer1.jpg

the photo is from the front of an Antique Shop in Matsumoto-shi, the city of the Black Samurai Castle (Matsumoto-jo). this Karura stands about two meters tall. it is perhaps the favorite of my photos taken in Nagano-ken.

here is a modern depiction, of Karura become a Buddhist monk:
http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~atsuro/complex01/enkoh.html

Originally, to the best of my studies, Garuda was the Great Mother NuWa or Naga from China and Asia, representing the Sun (Sun-Crow in China) or the Ocean Dragon (Lung or Ryu). Later, in the Patriarchal era, she was re-deified as a Masculine enemy of snakes and dragons, the enemy of magick and the Feminine wisdom of nature/creation.

Here is a another depiction, Khyung in Tibet:

For our Great Mother Amaterasu ...