Directions

Plasma formations in the ancient sky. The role of planets as charged bodies in these formations. Ground-rules for drawing reliable conclusions. A new approach to the mythic archetypes: is a unified theory of world mythology possible?
David Talbott
Site Admin

Directions

Unread post by David Talbott » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Having observed the calendar rushing by for several weeks now--leaving a dozen threads dangling--I finally realized I need to add one more dangling thread :)

This extended absence is not what I had planned. But things have only gotten busier, and the press of events may not improve a lot over the next few months.

One answer might be to pull the mythology section off the Forum temporarily. Then again, maybe enough can be added weekly to justify staying with the original plan--which was to place a sufficiently clear and comprehensive overview on the Forum, to serve as an introduction to the Saturn theory, complementing the three-hour video presentation in development. For now I trust folks will realize that, though the schedule is uncertain, there is vastly more material to be added than has been posted up to this point.

David Talbott

squatterman

Re: Directions

Unread post by squatterman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 pm

My quick $.02... please don't pull the section out. I can't speak for others of course. But after a short absence, I'm back just catching up and reading things I've missed - and the Myth section has been a much-needed treat! - especially in expectation of the coming documentary. In the times I do make to get online and read various news and such online, this Origins of Myth section here is my favorite reading material - completely apart from other, well, less awe-inspiring reading I do in the evenings.

Honestly, while I'm still working on completely reading through some topics, others I've read more than once. :geek:

So please don't take down the section. :mrgreen:

Rick

Unread post by Rick » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:36 am

"So please don't take down the section."

I'll second that!

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:35 am

"Should this forum not exist, there would exist a need to create it."
Neil Thompson

EET

"We are the universe trying to understand itself." - Delen, Babylon 5

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:32 pm

Krackonis wrote:"Should this forum not exist, there would exist a need to create it."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Point taken Neil, and others.

After some discussion with Dave Talbott regarding the possible retraction of this forum it has been decided to leave it up. But Dave will have little time to add to what he's already put up so far, so patience is called for.

There was some hesitation about starting the Myth forum for this very reason, that is time constraints make it difficult to add to the forum at a speed which would be desired. But there were so many requests over such a long period before the old forum crashed, that when building the new one we decided to launch the Mythology section soon afterward, in the hope Dave could make/find the time for adequate contribution.

Well, he's a busy man and we can't seem to create any extra time, so we simply ask for folk to be patient and understand that it's not a matter of not wanting to address issues, but a matter of "can't at the moment".

So we'll leave the forum up as is at present, on the understanding that Dave will get back to it once the pressure is off in other areas. "We apologise for this break in transmission..." :mrgreen: (I would dearly love an image of a TV test pattern just now...)

Cheers, Dave Smith.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:59 am

I'd just like to register my vote for keeping the Myth section going.
As a compromise, would it be feasible for D.T. to periodically, say, open a thread whose subject is a question and let the members have a stab at answering it? Then as time and circumstance permit, D.T. could add his own thoughts.
Anyone else have any suggestions, similar or otherwise?

And to Dave Talbott: 'Beware the barrenness of a busy life' - Socrates. ;)
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Giday all.

I'm sorry to have to announce that we are locking the mythology forum TEMPORARILY, whilst some other things are being worked on. Whilst this is regretful, we can't continue to allow the somewhat extraneous discussions to continue without guidance, and Dave Talbott simply has other constraints on his time at present.

We will be using this break to 'clean up' the current discussions, moving and/or deleting posts which are not helpful and re-organising things somewhat to make sure people can understand which parts of the discussion pertain to the Saturn theory as proposed by Talbott, Cardona, et al, and which bits don't. Please use this time to refresh your understanding of what is to be discussed here, particularly I would draw attention to Dave Talbott's words here:

README FIRST: The Purpose of this Forum
Dave Talbott wrote:The purpose of the Mythology Section is:
1) to clarify as quickly as possible the reconstruction offered by the "Saturn Hypothesis";
2) to explore the dominant archetypes of world mythology--the only field of evidence permitted under our comparative approach; and
3) to determine if the reconstruction does indeed account for these archetypes in the concrete terms we have claimed (i.e., with a predictive power no prior theory of myth has achieved.)

Additionally, as visitors familiarize themselves with the hypothesis, we want to allow them to challenge either the hypothesis or the methodology. Succinct, specific challenges will be allowed. What will not be allowed is extensive and random posting of assorted ideas about one mythical theme or another, without meaningful reference to the hypothesis being evaluated here. With this latter constraint in mind, we've deleted a couple of threads, with no desire to offend.

Example: the dragon is a fascinating motif, but one could find a thousand Internet discourses on the dragon, none of which would advance our purpose--to account for all of the core dragon themes in a systematic way. Is this possible? Any focused discussion bearing directly on that question will be allowed.
Whilst we appreciate many people have many divergent views on myths, this is not the place to air each individual's 'pet theory'. There should be nothing wrong with those who can identify people they'd like to discuss other facets of mythology with using the PM system to carry on such conversations. Then, once something is clarified which relates to the EU Saturn mythology views, it can be brought to the public forum and discussed. We really do want to be able to clarify the EU Saturn hypothesis over time, and that is very difficult with many people sharing their own particular beliefs.

At this point in time we expect to be able to unlock the forum again in a matter of weeks, but please understand that sometimes the best made plans can go astray, so there is a possibility it could be a little longer.

I'd like to thank those who have partaken in meaningful discussion of the Saturn theory, please be patient until we can get things going smoothly again. We do look forward to further input once the forum is unlocked again.

Cheers, Dave Smith.
Site Administator.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster