This reminds me of that phrase: Garbage in - Garbage out

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Michael Mozina

This reminds me of that phrase: Garbage in - Garbage out

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:16 pm

https://phys.org/news/2019-09-artificia ... verse.html

My favorite part:
As a next step, he and his colleagues are planning to apply their method to bigger image sets such as the Dark Energy Survey. Also, more cosmological parameters and refinements such as details about the nature of dark energy will be fed to the neural networks.
Oy Vey. This whole misuse of AI reminds me of that phrase about computers: Garbage in, garbage out. I love how they're demonstrating that even artificial intelligence can be misused and abused and "tricked" into seeing something that simply isn't there. :mrgreen:

webolife

Re: This reminds me of that phrase: Garbage in - Garbage out

Unread post by webolife » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Yes, "artificial" still means "made by people". Therefore the very carefully premised programing of the AI construct must come to the same conclusions as its premises allow. Many people are bound to this same protocol of logic. Two (or more) people looking at the exact same data set from two different perspectives [POV] are bound by the use of perfect logic to come to differing conclusions, based upon their disparate premises. The only way out is that somewhere along the journey, a PERSON may change his/her mind, an attribute not well suited to AI :D
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

neilwilkes

Re: This reminds me of that phrase: Garbage in - Garbage out

Unread post by neilwilkes » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:11 am

Michael Mozina wrote:https://phys.org/news/2019-09-artificia ... verse.html

My favorite part:
As a next step, he and his colleagues are planning to apply their method to bigger image sets such as the Dark Energy Survey. Also, more cosmological parameters and refinements such as details about the nature of dark energy will be fed to the neural networks.
Oy Vey. This whole misuse of AI reminds me of that phrase about computers: Garbage in, garbage out. I love how they're demonstrating that even artificial intelligence can be misused and abused and "tricked" into seeing something that simply isn't there. :mrgreen:
The problem with so-called "Machine Learning" is that it is not reality, or even observation - it is essentially a video game produced not by any actual scientists but by computer programmers, who can make their games - sorry, models - say anything they want to by cherry-picking data (we see exactly the same from the "Global Warming Crisis" crowd who also cherry pick starting points to show rises in temperature that are not there, ice loss that also is not there and so on ad nauseam.

Sadly the reality is that Dark Matter does not exist, and has never been observed at all despite spending literally tens of billions (if not hundreds of billions) of taxpayer money looking for it - you might as well go on a Unicorn hunt as you would have about as much chance of finding one of those as you would dark matter.

Mysterious balderdash!
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.