The financial corruption of astronomy......

Plasma and electricity in space. Failure of gravity-only cosmology. Exposing the myths of dark matter, dark energy, black holes, neutron stars, and other mathematical constructs. The electric model of stars. Predictions and confirmations of the electric comet.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Michael Mozina

The financial corruption of astronomy......

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 am

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Deep_ ... e_999.html

It's kinda hard to "question" one's beliefs in exotic matter when one's livelihood depends on being right about it's existence.
Rice astroparticle physicist Christopher Tunnell and his team have received a $1 million National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to reimagine data science techniques and help push data-intensive physical sciences past the tipping point to discovery.
So essentially they're being paid to dream up new ways to "find" something that probably doesn't even exist in the first place. :(

nick c
Site Admin

Re: The financial corruption of astronomy......

Unread post by nick c » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:21 am

If one is selling a product then it would be bad business to have that product shown to be useless.

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 am

It's simply bizarre that astronomers don't seem to even have a clue about 95 percent of their own model. Nobody can even name so much as a single source of 'dark energy' let alone explain how it retains a constant density over multiple exponential increases in volume, and that nonsense makes up 70 percent of their entire model. Nobody has a clue what dark matter might be either. They're literally spending *millions* of dollars just to buy themselves a clue.

I think it's equally telling however to discover just how little astronomers even know/understand about alternatives to their metaphysical nonsense. If the web is any indication, most of what astronomers *think* that they know about EU/PC model is absolutely wrong, and it's utterly pathetic. For instance, so called "professionals" seem to believe that EU/PC models predict "no neutrinos". The misinformation campaigns that I read on the internet that are related to EU/PC theory are just absurdly false and intentionally misleading. More telling however is the fact that none of the so called "professionals" ever bothers to correct any of it. They are about as "unprofessional" as it gets in fact.

I think the only thing that keeps astronomy from imploding today is the constant flow of money into various dark matter experiments. It gives the industry an air of credibility where none actually exists. It also provides them with artificial financial support which is completely unrelated to producing any actual "positive"/tangible results. Failures are not ever treated as a 'falsification' of the concept, rather the unending stream of failures are constantly "spun" as a being "successful constraints" on dark matter models. There's no connection between the cash flow and the need for producing any actual positive results, so the industry is effectively financially insulated from the real world.

Astronomers would not survive a single year in the world of business where results actually matter, and real competition exists. It's only because astronomy is primarily an academic pursuit that such pure incompetence is tolerable. As long as they all remain "in the dark", and they can continue to hoodwink the public, they can continue their charade. The moment the public gets tired of funding their metaphysical nonsense however, they'll crumble in a heartbeat.

JHL

Unread post by JHL » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am

Michael Mozina wrote:It's simply bizarre that astronomers don't seem to even have a clue about 95 percent of their own model. Nobody can even name so much as a single source of 'dark energy' let alone explain how it retains a constant density over multiple exponential increases in volume, and that nonsense makes up 70 percent of their entire model.
That reminds me of my field. I'll explain in a moment...
Michael Mozina wrote:If the web is any indication, most of what astronomers *think* that they know about EU/PC model is absolutely wrong, and it's utterly pathetic. For instance, so called "professionals" seem to believe that EU/PC models predict "no neutrinos". The misinformation campaigns that I read on the internet that are related to EU/PC theory are just absurdly false and intentionally misleading. More telling however is the fact that none of the so called "professionals" ever bothers to correct any of it. They are about as "unprofessional" as it gets in fact.
Exactly the same here too...
Michael Mozina wrote:Failures are not ever treated as a 'falsification' of the concept, rather the unending stream of failures are constantly "spun" as a being "successful constraints" on dark matter models.
My field works more or less like this.

1. First, there is a wide variety of science; science that addresses different phenomenon from differing perspectives. Various concrete sets of knowledge, each like blind men feeling the proverbial elephant. The elephant is real; we need to compare notes and come to better conclusions. But, as we say, the nice thing about science is there's so much to chose from.

2. A certain contingent of the field has selected a science and declared it The Science. Previous and/or differing sciences - in one notable case of a distinctly more professional basis - is ignored. It's not a malicious act but it is highly motivated by both financial reward and the usual investments in ego. It happens.

3. The Science, as I'll call it, doesn't deal with the mechanisms within the machine but the secondary, peripheral effects of the machine in action. Note that we've separated the real workings from evidence of their workings, and that in so doing we introduce a real risk of missing those workings because we've already declared some of their manifestations to be The Science.

4. This Science shows flaws, as you'd well imagine. Some are logical and can be exposed with nothing more than a logical statement exposing the break between effect and mechanism, as I have, and some are self-evident to any reasonably intelligent scientific analysis. It's not that we all lack logic or perspective; it's that some of us have already made another investment.

5. In sum, the dichotomy is well-established and anyone challenging it is subject to attack, to some degree or another, as a heretic whose aim must be to deny The Science.

The problem is obvious: What a thing appears to do is not what a thing is. In my case, since I understand the science from the inside out, I know to a reasonable degree 1) what the inner mechanisms are so that I can 2) separate the manifestations from the causes. Hundreds can easily do so, although we're not talking while the amateurs carry on as if no other explanation could exist. It's a very obvious blunder, this cross-domain set of false assumptions.

But there's a larger problem. Cosmology doesn't have the inner mechanisms that my field has. Nobody knows what's really going on and all we have is patterns of evidence and abstract models.

If an established field can miss the real, actual, material science of a set of understandable mechanisms, I have little doubt that a larger, greater field - one with all sorts of incentives to stay their course - would indeed miss theirs.

neilwilkes

Unread post by neilwilkes » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 am

What is your field, JHL?
I am intrigued...
You will never get a man to understand something his salary depends on him not understanding.

Sceptical lefty

Unread post by Sceptical lefty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 pm

neilwilkes wrote:What is your field, JHL?
I am intrigued...
In truth, JHL's field could be just about anything that doesn't have "Engineering" in its title. Most fields -- and most walks of life -- are dominated by orthodox opinion, safeguarded by 'authorities'. In practice, thinking 'outside the box' is more easily said than done, and most individuals are reluctant to even attempt the exercise. The few renegades who make the effort are either nobbled by the 'authorities' (or their gatekeepers) or drowned in the quicksand of orthodox mental inertia. Rarely do they make headway.

While there may be some high-level conspiracy, in most cases these natural mechanisms suffice. Humanity (and Science) is nothing like as good as it paints itself to be.

Metryq

Unread post by Metryq » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 am

Michael Mozina wrote:Astronomers would not survive a single year in the world of business where results actually matter, and real competition exists.
Sounds like a quote from the original Ghostbusters movie!

Michael Mozina

Unread post by Michael Mozina » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 am

Metryq wrote:
Michael Mozina wrote:Astronomers would not survive a single year in the world of business where results actually matter, and real competition exists.
Sounds like a quote from the original Ghostbusters movie!
:)

It's really a pity that astronomy is in such a sorry state today. There's almost no area of the field that hasn't become corrupted by the system.

Just consider the various areas of "specialization" and various concepts in astronomy today that fail to have any empirical use or merit for a moment:

string theory
multiverse nonsense
Inflation
dark energy
dark matter
space expansion
magnetic reconnection

If you look at it objectively, 95 percent of the LCDM model is based on metaphysical nonsense that fails to show up in any lab on Earth, and most of it can *never* show up in a lab on Earth. Only about 5 percent of the LCDM model is based on plasma, but most of their papers that are actually related to plasma are dominated by "magnetic reconnection" claims, which Alfven referred to as pseudoscience. How does that even translate into any real world application of their beliefs and their "life's work"?

There's almost nothing associated with the entire field of astronomy that has any useful application to real world physics. They couldn't use any of their so called "knowledge" of astronomy in any other area of competitive physics. It's almost as bad as astrology. About the only "skills" they possess that are useful and meaningful are their math skills, but I'm not sure they even understand how to apply most of their skill in math to real world physical applications. It's not like string theory, or inflation theory, or dark energy theory has any useful mathematical application in the real empirical world. It's like being a math expert in astrology.

JHL

Unread post by JHL » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 pm

There's a lengthy thread on Reddit right now discussing how since gravity moves at C, theoretically the Sun could disappear and Earth would orbit for another 8:20. Meaning Pluto would orbit another 5.5 hours.

What strikes me is that the related terms are so carved in stone there's virtually no discussion how this could logically be.

paladin17

Unread post by paladin17 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 am

JHL wrote:There's a lengthy thread on Reddit right now discussing how since gravity moves at C, theoretically the Sun could disappear and Earth would orbit for another 8:20. Meaning Pluto would orbit another 5.5 hours.

What strikes me is that the related terms are so carved in stone there's virtually no discussion how this could logically be.
It's called "relativity of simultaneity".