Sprites, Jets, and Elves

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

StefanR

Re: Recovered: New info on Sprites

Unread post by StefanR » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:41 am

mharratsc wrote:Need to point these guys at the authors of that paper you linked in the Aurora on Mars thread, Stefan. They could put 2 + 2 together and arrive at a pretty clear picture, I think. :)
I think you might be right Mike. But I think they might already have noticed one another, because I the same authors are in the big fat book that is linked to in the Saturn currently Stormy- thread. Try the download page, I linked to there, and I think you will enjoy the collection that was put together there in 522 pages :o ;) . It takes some time but the book is just a year old and every article in the book has valuable information that can be put to use in various threads.

have fun! 8-)

edit: here is the link to that post for the book, very very recommendable, IMHO of course :)
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... 283#p48283
The illusion from which we are seeking to extricate ourselves is not that constituted by the realm of space and time, but that which comes from failing to know that realm from the standpoint of a higher vision. -L.H.

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Sprites, Jets, and Elves

Unread post by nick c » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:14 am

This thread is a combination of the following threads:

Recovered: New info on Sprites

Ball Lightning Hits 100 Homes

Gigantic Lightning Jets Shoot from Clouds to Space

The origin of micro Comets and Ball lightning.

Lightning and Terrestrial Gamma-Ray Flashes (TGFs)

MrAmsterdam

"Lightning Sprites Are Out-of-This-World"

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 am

http://www.aftau.org/site/News2?page=Ne ... e&id=15573
Monday, November 21, 2011

TAU researchers predict "sprites" in the atmospheres of Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus

A sprite "streamer" as it might appear in the atmosphere of Saturn, created in a TAU lab.

Only a few decades ago, scientists discovered the existence of "sprites" 30 to 55 miles above the surface of the Earth. They're offshoots of electric discharges caused by lightning storms, and a valuable window into the composition of our atmosphere. Now researchers at Tel Aviv University say that sprites are not a phenomenon specific to our planet.

Jupiter and Saturn experience lightning storms with flashes 1,000 or more times more powerful than those on Earth, says Ph.D. student Daria Dubrovin. With her supervisors Prof. Colin Price of TAU's Department of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences and Prof. Yoav Yair of the Open University of Israel, and collaborators Prof. Ute Ebert and Dr. Sander Nijdam from the Eindhoven Technical University in Holland, Dubrovin has re-created these planetary atmospheres in the lab to study the presence of sprites in space.

The color of these bursts of electricity indicate what kinds of molecules are present and may explain the presence of exotic compounds, while providing insight into the conductivity of distant planets’ atmospheres. This research, which was presented in October at the European Planetary Science Congress in France, could lead to a new understanding of electrical and chemical processes on Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus.
First congratulations with the discovery of the electric universe theory and its use of plasma phenomena in labs.

Somebody needs to notify these scientists that there were others that made this prediction of electric phenomena on planets before them, it is certainly not the first claim concerning this topic.

:shock:
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

Jarvamundo

Re: "Lightning Sprites Are Out-of-This-World"

Unread post by Jarvamundo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 am

I agree... the terms and conditions of the TB forum said absolutely nothing about groundhog day... nothing.

sol88

Unread post by sol88 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:31 pm

“Black holes are where God divided by zero.” – Comedian Steven Wright

Dotini

Unread post by Dotini » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:54 pm

http://spaceweather.com/ <--archive Mar 31, 2012

Today's edition of spaceweather features a beautiful photo of those gigantic electrical discharges, called sprites, glowing over Oklahoma - taken from an observatory 2 states away in New Mexico! The article mentions that sprites are appearing much earlier this year than they usually do. I wonder if this has any implications for evolving conditions in the strength or other properties of Earth's electrosphere?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

phyllotaxis

Best pic yet of Red Sprites above surface lightning

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 am

It's the finest picture I've seen yet--

http://news.discovery.com/space/big-pic ... 20712.html

The awkward description below the photo reveals the ignorance and strange phrasing used to describe the phenomenon:
The image above, captured by Expedition 31 astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS), shows an enigmatic atmospheric phenomenon known as a red sprite hovering just above a bright flash of lightning in a thunderstorm over Myanmar.

First documented in a photo in 1989, red sprites are very brief flashes of optical activity that are associated with powerful lightning discharges in storms -- although the exact mechanisms that create them aren't yet known.
Optical activity?

What a ridiculous "observation".

I'd post the pic but the forum won't allow it.

nick c
Site Admin

Re: Best pic yet of Red Sprites above surface lightning

Unread post by nick c » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:16 pm

phyllotaxis wrote:I'd post the pic but the forum won't allow it.
Here is the image:
sprite-zoom.jpg
note: I merged this thread with the "Sprites, Jets, and Elves" thread as it fits in nicely.

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Thank you thank you :)

kell1990

Red Sprites

Unread post by kell1990 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 pm

http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_u ... d_id=70604

This is a link to a set of photographs said to be of “sprites” I am very grateful to the photographer who took them.

It seems that the “flow” of current flows from the lower part of the object through and beyond the object itself.

In this photo, if enlarged, you will see that there seems to be some sort of “ball” or “sphere” that interlinks with the sprites, and lets them spread out. However in one instance, the very far right example, the flow seems to be “inverted” (opposed to the flow of the remainder of illustrations.)

What is particularly interesting, to me at least, is the image of the single sphere which seems to be charged on the right center side of the sphere, but for some reason has not discharged. It appears as a singular globe. This image is in the center right portion of the photo. When it is enlarged, the reddish color is visible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper-atmo ... _lightning

This apparently isn’t how sprites should behave, according to the above link. According to wikipedia, sprites discharge downwards. But it is somewhat of an introduction to the upper atmospheric phenomena for someone totally new. At least, we can see what the rest of the world “knows” about sprites, which apparently isn‘t much of value.

Please note in the first photograph that there seems to be some sort of “node“ that the lightning, or whatever that discharge is called, passes through. In most of the cases, a flow goes from the lower section to the upper section, with 2 exceptions: 1) a “Charged body that didn‘t discharge“; and 2) a minor body that discharged back towards the earth.

Does anyone have any ideas about how these atmospheric phenomena occur, why they occur at certain times, and what can we learn from them?.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 pm

kell1990 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas about how these atmospheric phenomena occur, why they occur at certain times, and what can we learn from them?.
I merged your post with this thread.
There is a lot of information on sprites and elves in the pages of this thread.
Also:
http://thunderbolts.info/tpod/2006/arch ... sprite.htm

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 pm

I don't know, but does it seem to you that the sprites in kell's picture are directly above power lines (lower left), and seem have the same alignment with them- almost as though someone made a laser shadow of the power lines that sit below and to the left.

Like this. (an illustration that is as crude as was manageable on short notice)

kell1990

Unread post by kell1990 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:55 pm

phyllotaxis wrote:I don't know, but does it seem to you that the sprites in kell's picture are directly above power lines (lower left), and seem have the same alignment with them- almost as though someone made a laser shadow of the power lines that sit below and to the left.

Like this. (an illustration that is as crude as was manageable on short notice)
Here's what the photographer said about the pictures: "Details:

"After several years of hunting Sprites from my location in Denmark, it finally happened this week, the first danish Red Sprites ever photographed. Distance 350 km. (Thunder over The North Sea) Altitude about 50-90 km. There were 2 flashes, each produces 5-6 individual Red Sprites.
Astro-modified Canon 5D II, 85mm f/1,2 lens in video-mode.
To produce this picture, I used 2 video frames (Sprites) and 1 still-photo (fore-background)."

If I understand what he says here, the sprites are 350 km away at an altitude of 50-90 km. The image of the power lines seems to be relatively near to the photographer, probably less that 2km.

The "nodes" seem to be very unusual to me. Could these be some type of "bead lightning"? If the image is enlarged, there are bright spots ("nodes"?) strung out along the discharges. And at 50-90 km, are there enough atmospheric gases present --N2, O2, CO2, etc--to produce the rosy color?

Somewhere on this site and others there are ancient artifacts which feature "ball-like" elements which seem to float around. Is there some connection between them and the "nodes" in this photo?

Sparky

NOVA S41E08 At the Edge of Space

Unread post by Sparky » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 am

"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Sparky

Re: NOVA S41E08 At the Edge of Space

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:48 am

NOVA is an excellent program, and the photography in this episode is spectacular

They give the history of the discovery of Earth to Space lightning.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire