The Electric Earth

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

GaryN

Re: The Earth's Elec. Charge Polarity

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Towards the end of this document are a couple of images of the GIC fields and strengths. These currents are a serious threat to the electrical grid, despite all the precautios they are taking. Much of our electrical supply system could be taken out very quickly were we to have some unforseen EM turbulence/storms. Some estimates place a 20+ year figure on replacement of some critical infrastructure components.

http://www.ieee.ca/canrev/archive/cr25.pdf

Some information on electrical rock disintegration:
The plasma explosion, generated by pulses inside the rock fragments, is induced by development of the treelike conductive capillaries which result from application of an electrical field which exceeds the dielectric strength of the rock.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... 277~db=all

After re-watching the stones-down-the-hole video, I am convinced there is a static electrical charge that increases with depth, perhaps in the same ratio as the above ground charge. This would mean the stone would experience a rapid change in voltage, and being a reasonably good insulator, higher differential between inner and outer voltages.

So now I'm thinking the experiment is not so simple, and am looking at possible experiments.

1) a bare copper wire with a weight of some kind on the end, lowered down so as not to touch the inside of the tube.

2) a coaxial cable with some kind ow a weight on the end. A copper disk or sphere? What about bifilar coils of various wire size and turns?

3) an 'active head' module lowered on a fiber optic cable. The head would be able to compare static charge to a reference voltage source and send data by way of the fiber to topside instrumentation. EM activity might be sampled at numerous levels in the shaft, over a range of frequencies through the use of widely tunable circuitry in the head.

Determining a zero or referece voltage for 3) is perhaps not as easy as one might think, but it might not need to be overly accurate to give polarity and reasonable charge gradient readings.

http://www.advancedphysics.org/forum/sh ... php?t=1985
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Don;t know why I did not think of it before.
What about the work of TT Brown and Petrovoltage?
There is much that is not included, even when it is "known".
Our view is no where near accurate.
Not the view they have tried to limit us too.
:cry:
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I had thought that this would be something really simple. It may still be so. It appears that the OP's question as to the polarity of the Earth's E-field may have already been answered. However the answer may exist in the way the language is being used.

The problem I'm running into is that an electric field is defined in terms of being a "vector". A quality having direction and magnitude. There is a bit of mix up in understanding with the use of language. The use of the word "polarity" in relation to E-fields actually refers to the "direction" of the electric field. So, to say that an electric field has a "polarity" is also speak of it's vector quality of "direction" (and "magnitude"):
"changing the electric field polariy corresponds to changing the electric field direction for 180°)"

"The electric field or electric field intensity is a vector quantity, and the electric field strength is the magnitude of this vector...

The direction of the field is taken to be the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge. The electric field is radially outward from a positive charge and radially in toward a negative point charge."
Polar cordinates seem to be normally used in relation to "charge" with a designated "polarity" (+/-"point charge" etc). Polar cordinates are also used in conjunction with the "point charge" concept to designate E-field "vector" ("point charge concept surrounded by radiating arrows "in" and "out").

Depending upon the specialized field of study when "polarity" is used with regard to an electric field it *appears* to be the result of an inconsistent use of language and analogy. This is what I detest about overspecialization. How is it that the term "polarity" is being used in relationship to the electric field concept when that word/concept is usually associated with the movement of "current flow" and/or "flow of electrons" between locations (cathode and anode)?

In some specialized scientific feilds, wherein E-field is given the quality of "polarity, it appears that the dipole polarization of whatever it is that constitues an E-field is being treated as having the quality of direction - in the same manner as a "flow" is a directional movement from one location to another (+/- poles).

*If* this is the case, and it appears to be so, we should be able to figure out Earth's "electric field polarity" simply by looking at the language of "flow" since the Earth has an electric field directed radially "inward":
The anode of a device is the terminal where current flows in. The cathode of a device is the terminal where current flows out." - How to Define Anode and Cathode]How to Define Anode and Cathode.
At present I'm reviewing Wikipedia's Entymology" of anode and cathode definitions to contrast "flow" directions because anode and cathode are not always positive and negative.

Hope I'm on the right track with that.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm

If Tesla is right and the earth is like a hollow copper sphere as Birkeland also used in his experiments.
Then I suggest you watch the Electrostatic lecture at MIT on this very thing.
The center of the sphere is a zero.
If the object was only charged from the outside, it would hold a much lower charge then if charged internally.
If the neutrinos do make matter at the center of the earth as Meyl has theorized, well this zero point would be
real important in the conceptualization that we could have an endless source of internal charge development and accumulation and surface discharge. I believe the E Field lowered as it approached the zero point.
It must have decreased in flux. It must have been going to zero.
I believe the earth does act like a hollow copper sphere.
Therein would lie your answer.
Cheers.

Also there was the example of charge being real and its relationship to structure was really cool.
It was a perfect example of putting charge into a bucket, which he did also.
Putting Charge on the outside of a bucket amounted to a much lower value
then putting the charge in a bucket.
The zero point again.
Who says you cannot put charge in a bucket?
They were wrong.
The fact the structure made a zero point which then made charge go into something like water,
well that kinda blew my mind. It was like trying to carry water on the outside of a bucket vs in a bucket.
Not effecient at all. If I have learned anything Nature is effecient.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

rcglinsk

Unread post by rcglinsk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:56 pm

Fun thread.

What do you all think would happen if one made a faraday motor in a zero G environment? Since any Earth bound experiment relies on the sphere being suspended against gravity we can't get a good idea of what would happen in outer space. Maybe it would gain a slanted axis and process.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:17 pm

junglelord wrote:If Tesla is right and the earth is like a hollow copper sphere as Birkeland also used in his experiments.
Birkeland's copper sphere was not hollow:

"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Yes is was Hollow.
I never said there was nothing inside.
;)
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

keeha

Unread post by keeha » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:41 pm

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Hollow, having space within which "something" may be placed.
That something being Charge.
Like I said a hollow copper sphere.
One then puts charge in there, like Birkeland, Telsa, Van de Graff, or the earth itself.
"Solid" Matter is 99.99% space.
The actual .01% which is the "matter" is distributed charge.
Therefore empty space will accept charge.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:17 pm

junglelord wrote: "Solid" Matter is 99.99% space.
This is patently wrong according to everything I have ever learned, formally and informally, about physics. Explain this.
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Thank you Keeha.
junglelord wrote:Hollow, having space within which "something" may be placed.
In all fairness, and no offense intended:

Once an object is placed inside said hollow sphere the former "space" becomes occupied and said sphere no longer retains the definition of 'hollow'. Obviously, I can twist that to another advantage and say that said sphere always retains the "space" that it delineates whether that "space" becomes occupied or not.

So lets just say the "space" of Birkeland's hollow copper sphere is partially occupied by a solenoid.

Why haven't you taken advantage of innumerable opportunities to clarify the definitions of terms in countless other threads, some of which you began, wherein you were specifically asked; as opposed to haphazardly offering semantics in another?

Does anyone know the "polarity" of an "electric field" directed radially inward? Or is it the case that the term "polarity" is actually inappropriate in relation to "electric fields" from the point of view of physics due to it's vectorial (polarized direction) definition? Specialized fields studying the Earth's horizontal geoelectric field are using the term "polarity" therein and I'd like to understand out how the term was transplanted.

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Charge occupies the space, yet the center remains zero.
The whole point, which was lost due to semantics....was elegantly displayed by the MIT Lectures on EM Theory.
The empty space is the vehicle for charge accumulation, due to the constant zero point center.
Hence a Hollow Sphere will hold a lot more charge when filled from the hollow inside.
This is the whole principle of the Terrella.
Also the concepts of transmitting energy via the hollow sphere concept of Tesla.
These two great men understood what I am talking about without tripping up on the semantics.
Last edited by junglelord on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:17 pm

junglelord wrote:Charge occupies the space
Oh, what does this charge look like?
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:05 pm

junglelord wrote:Charge occupies the space, yet the center remains zero.
The whole point, which was lost due to semantics....was elegantly displayed by the MIT Lectures on EM Theory.
The empty space is the vehicle for charge accumulation, due to the constant zero point center.
Hence a Hollow Sphere will hold a lot more charge when filled from the hollow inside.
This is the whole principle of the Terrella.
Also the concepts of transmitting energy via the hollow sphere concept of Tesla.
I've think I've seen that lecture. He couldn't touch the bucket edges because it would discharge the accumulation of "charge" which obviously demonstrates that it collects on the surface of the sphere. Is that the one?

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes, thats the one. The Electric Field flux is zero at the center.
Hence the ability to store and therefore discharge exceptional quanities of ES energy is based on this prinicple that was exploited by both Tesla and Birkeland, Van de Graff.
— Nikola Tesla
— Junglelord.
— Junglelord