Electric discharges to dusty CRT match planetary features

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

dahlenaz

Electric discharges to dusty CRT match planetary features

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:20 pm

This abstract has been accepted for presentation at the ICOPS 2008. I welcome your input. dahlenaz

ELECTRIC DISCHARGES TO DUST COVERED SURFACE SHOW SIMILARITY TO FEATURES
ON PLANETARY BODIES

Z. Dahlen Parker
Eloy, Az. 85231 USA

Thunderbolts.info Forum participants
Too numerous to list, International

Electrostatic Discharge patterns in a thin layer of dust on a CRT are similar in many ways to some enigmatic features seen on certain moons and planets. This simple experiment may help explain those planetary surface features. Without a testable explanation, our understanding of solar system history is questionable.

Spidery markings, seen for example on Mercury and the Moon, are among the most puzzling of planetary features. These spidery channels are rounded depressions radiating from a central depression or crater. However, a closer look reveals a resemblance to laboratory electric discharge patterns. Electrical discharge patterns take many forms, which have been shown to be scalable from the laboratory to the cosmic scale.

The radials have been seen in experiments to be the result of surficial leader-strokes of an electric discharge, which may with higher currents form other features such as crater chains.

We propose that there is an electrical cause for many surface features seen throughout the solar system. The approach taken here is an empirical investigation of plasma discharge effects on various surfaces that provide a parallel to planetary surfaces .

Experiments with electrostatic discharge to a dust covered CRT produced the following features which match similar planetary markings in great detail.

Image Image

An investigation of plasma discharge effects upon mock planetary surface materials may provide new insights into the history of the solar system and the importance of plasma discharge phenomena in astrophysics and planetary science.

site of developing material
http://www.para-az.com/poster08.html

http://www.electric-spark-scars.com

dahlenaz

Re: Electric dischages to dusty CRT match planetary features

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Now for some of the great news, resulting from Au_Daves info on recovering old threads.

Here are the pages from the former thread which have been recovered, if you find more please send me the link so i can save it.

we have pages: 1,2,3,4, Missing ,10,11,12,13,14. I'll provide links to all these as requested and will have a page made soon which will be linked to from here.

A special thanks to all for their efforts, input, all else that has brought us this far. dz

MGmirkin

Re: Electric dischages to dusty CRT match planetary features

Unread post by MGmirkin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm

dahlenaz wrote:Now for some of the great news, resulting from Au_Daves info on recovering old threads.

Here are the pages from the former thread which have been recovered, if you find more please send me the link so i can save it.

we have pages: 1,2,3,4, Missing ,10,11,12,13,14. I'll provide links to all these as requested and will have a page made soon which will be linked to from here.

A special thanks to all for their efforts, input, all else that has brought us this far. dz
I've saved to disk hard copies of all up through 14.

I've found that in trying to track down individual pages, entering a couple keywords from the title does not always work. However, if you can get it to regularly return the first couple records matching the right thread, it's easy to also get specific pages to come up.

For instance, where

"crt discharge patterns" site:http://www.thunderbolts.info/forum

came up with a list of thread pages that was incomplete (on the first page of results; I can't view subsequent pages 'cause Google is treating me like a web-crawling virus or automatic script)

"crt discharge patterns" "page 5" site:http://www.thunderbolts.info/forum

came up with that specific page out of the thread. IE, it searched for the exact term "crt discharge patterns" (which was fairly unique) and ALSO "page 5," thus page 5 of that thread was just about the only result it showed.

So, that seems to work. Using that method I managed to archive to disk all of the 14 pages (though I had to get pg 10 twice 'cause the first one was an older copy that may not have been complete)...

Anywho, still archiving a bunch of other stuff as I run across it...

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

dahlenaz

Re: Electric discharges to dusty CRT match planetary features

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks Michael, I did the search with the page number and it completed the list, What a relief that is. dahlenaz

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 pm

http://www.para-az.com/crt-patterns-discussion.html

The link above will take you to a page with all the links for the page of this discussion
prior to March 2008. They are currently cached on google but will eventually be placed on my
site or here.

Thanks to all for making known how to recover these pages. dahlenaz

http://www.dahlendesigns.com

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 pm

The offer to attend ICOPS 2008 conference in Germany is still open.
My plan is to pay the student registration so that a verifiable student can attend. If someone else who is not a student wishes to attend, part of the registration will be covered. The person who attends will be named as a co-author and is expected to place the poster presentation on the prescribed day and location in exchange for the registration fee being paid. To me this sounds like a good deal. Last year i attended ICOPS 07 and it was worth the effort and i only made two days of the conference of material, almost everthing, beyond my comprehension. There were many opportunities to introduce people to the electric universe and interact with them. Most people were very open to the electric universe perspective.

The conference site is: http://www.fzk.de/icops2008

You can contact me directly by e-mail with questions. dahlenaz

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:16 am

This image of a million volt test of power transmission lines highlights the focus needed on coronal characteristics of a discharge and their features which share similarities to electrostatic discharge patterns in surface dust.

This image from A.D. Moorse's book 'Electrostatics' reveals a radial symmetry that is also noted in high energy plasma lab experiments, petroglyphs and other ancient representations associated with celestial event in a distant time (yet to be realized in full). A relationship between coronal discharges and planetary features may not involve any of these observations with the exceptionof high energy lab experiments which produce the visible characteristics which would not be seen at the low energy level of electrostatic discharges which formed the CRT spider features.

Moore mentions important details of both negative and positive corona. Negative corona has "jumpy streamers" associated with its discharge that are audible as well. The audible characteristic has been observed in the formation of the CRT-surface-spiders. dz

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Two images of particular interest are the end-on recording of a plasma gun penumbra(fig.4.21), similar in many ways to the corona image above. The other image to be added here is also from A. L. Peratt's book 'Physics of the Plasma Universe' figure 4.19 <br>An image of Lichtenstein figures recorded of an acrylic insulator used in a terawatt pulsed-power generator.
<br> In the paragraph 4.6.1 explaining the feature he goes into details that may apply here in reference to Mercury and other features. In reference to the image he explains that "Surface discharges are produced by large electric fields that develop between the surface and subsurface layers in a dielectric material as a consequence of energetic charged-particle deposition."

I'll add more of his explanation on the poster08 webpage.

I am still looking for an image that will be better than one captured from his book through my camera. dz

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:51 pm

dahlenaz wrote:Two images of particular interest are the end-on recording of a plasma gun penumbra(fig.4.21), similar in many ways to the corona image above. The other image to be added here is also from A. L. Peratt's book 'Physics of the Plasma Universe' figure 4.19 <br>An image of Lichtenstein figures recorded of an acrylic insulator used in a terawatt pulsed-power generator.
*Cough*

(Lichtenberg figure)
http://teslamania.delete.org/frames/lichtenbergs.html

(Plasma gun)
http://focusfusion.org/log/index.php/si ... n_reactor/
http://www.plasma-universe.com/index.ph ... asma_focus

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks Michael, but i've got those on my website already. The one I'm looking for is from page 157 and 160 of his book. They show characteristics that are missed by these others. d...z

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm

dahlenaz wrote:Thanks Michael, but i've got those on my website already. The one I'm looking for is from page 157 and 160 of his book. They show characteristics that are missed by these others. d...z
Ohh, I see. Looking for those very specific images... Afraid I don't have access to that book, methinks? Or do I...? Hmm, will have to check.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:41 am

This is part of the image which really speaks volumes and captures the dynamics of surface discharges.

Here is the explanation from Tony Peratt's book. 'Physics of the Plasma Universe'.

4.6.1 Surface Discharges

"Surface discharges are produced by large electric fields that develop between the surface and subsurface layers in a dielectric materials as a consequence of energetic charged-particle deposition. For example, when space craft dielectrics are exposed to bursts of kiloelectronvolt particles during magnetic substorms, the particles penetrate a few micrometers to a few millimeters, building up field strengths which may be of the order of hundreds of kilovolts per centimeter. A schematic representation of this is shown in figure 4.18.

If the material is a conductor or a semiconductor, a conduction current will flow in response to the charge deposition and will effectively neutralize the field. If the material is an insulator, the space charge will build up at a rater faster than the local relaxation time, and the associated electric field will increase. When the field reaches a critical value that depends on the material, surface smoothness, and porosity, a surface discharge will occur. This is a problem that often occurs in laboratory pulsed-power and, in fact, is a limitting constraint on how much power can flow in laboratory transmission lines. Figure 4.19 illustrates the "lichtenstein figures" recorded just below the surface of an acrylic transmission line spacer. Voltage breakdown at dielectric interfaces nearly always results in the formation of these dendritic-type streamers.

Surface discharges will also occur on natural dielectrics in the solar system when these surfaces are exposed to large fluxes of energetic particles. This condition can be found, for example, where magnetospheric currents interact with the surfaces of the giant planets and their satellites."

In light of this I am inclined to think that the formation of similar features on several bodies around the solar system, inclusing earth, should not be lacking an explanation that is widely recognized, especially for those on Mercury, which is in such close proximity to the Sun. Those on the earth in Africa should be looked at in refereance to their global orientation, 'historically', as should those on Mars. This was touched on in the former thread, Martian Spider on Earth (linked to from http://www.para-az.com/crt-patterns-discussion.html )

I think a question to raise is: what is the frequency of these discharges? Can they be predicted by some saturation calculation? and, Does the discharge 'need' to involve another body? Can it be from one region to another of the same body.

I suspect these are old questions, but for the sake of my education, please bring me up to speed on this.

The experiment which formed the CRT features involved two monitors passed in close proximity. The corresponding features on the other monitor are circular with inward extending finger from the rim. This material was deposited, transfered, to this surface.

image: tgt-pocrtr31.2.22s70c.jpg

d...z

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm

dahlenaz wrote:The experiment which formed the CRT features involved two monitors passed in close proximity. The corresponding features on the other monitor are circular with inward extending finger from the rim. This material was deposited, transfered, to this surface.

http://www.para-az.com/tgt-pocrtr31.2.22s70c.jpg

d...z
Save for the central region these remind me of low energy corona discharge in a circular conductor as seen in the second image at this site.
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm just guessing that was a typo in Peratt's book (as I see in the caption and the prior paragraph[s]).

IE, "Lichtenstein figures" rather than the proper "Lichtenberg figures?" Named after Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, just for a little bit of history...

Granted, Lichtenberg and Lichtenstein are both cities... So, I can see where the confusion might have come from. But the figures are named after the man, rather than the city.

Cheers,
~Michael Gmirkin

dahlenaz

Unread post by dahlenaz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:23 pm

Solar wrote:
dahlenaz wrote:The experiment which formed the CRT features involved two monitors passed in close proximity. The corresponding features on the other monitor are circular with inward extending finger from the rim. This material was deposited, transfered, to this surface.

http://www.para-az.com/tgt-pocrtr31.2.22s70c.jpg

d...z
Save for the central region these remind me of low energy corona discharge in a circular conductor as seen in the second image at this site.
Would you be refering to the material that has accumulated or the areas absent of material? Comparing the feature with the corona itself seems like it may need some further discussion on exactly what happens during the discharge.

I'd like to point attention back to this image introduced by Stefan.
http://www.para-az.com/2200_cut_b-150sc.jpg

When a discharge through or to a material occurs there seems to be a number of stages or phases leaving different features or characteristics that lead to features such as the accumulation of material. In the case of these dual-monitor experiments, one pass produced a set of features on each surface. The features that show some change were the crater-like features, their rim-fingers changed slightly. Since one surface is discharging to the other, repeat discharge at the same location seems to not occur. d..z