Moon Craters

Historic planetary instability and catastrophe. Evidence for electrical scarring on planets and moons. Electrical events in today's solar system. Electric Earth.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

frankebe

Re: New Crater on Moon

Unread post by frankebe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Makes sense. So then we cannot tell the difference between an impact crater and an electric machining after the fact. Oops...

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 am

If I understand the EU view, all evidence needs to be considered. A largish crater with smaller ones on it's edge and channels running off to other craters, or associated lichtenberg figure is in my mind electrical arc discharge. ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

bdw000

New Crater on MARS

Unread post by bdw000 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Now they say they have a new crater on Mars:
http://io9.com/a-spectacular-new-impac ... 1517305316

Haven't tracked down the actual NASA or JPL image, which I assume is much higher quality than the one in this article.

Metryq

Re: New Crater on MARS

Unread post by Metryq » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 am

bdw000 wrote:Now they say they have a new crater on Mars:
http://io9.com/a-spectacular-new-impac ... 1517305316

Haven't tracked down the actual NASA or JPL image, which I assume is much higher quality than the one in this article.
Here's the largest I could find through Google image match (click third image on page, 2880 x 1800):
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/02/a-spe ... e-of-mars/

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 pm

Several extremely large images here:

https://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_034285_1835

I looked at the 360 meg image using HiView. Definitely a rock hit Mars. There is a debris field around the crater and boulders scattered inside, as well as on the rim. The rim is also rounded, where electric arcs tend to form sharply delineated rims with scallops and fulgurites embedded in the wall.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi Steve,
This crater has been mentioned before, but wondering how you would classify it, impact or discharge?
The site in Irkutsk, Siberia was discovered in 1949 and is a huge convex cone with a funnel-shaped recess and a rounded hill in the middle, which looks a little like an eagle’s nest with an egg nestled inside it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... blast.html

With craters on the Moon or Mars, do you have a rough idea, based on your classifications, as to what percentages are impact and what are discharges? I'm wondering if it may be the direction, or perhaps other variables, of the discharge that can cause the difference in characteristics, and that the great majority, if not all, are electrical.
Yes, perhaps I have an electric hammer in both hands. :D
The Man with a Hammer
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2014/02 ... -a-hammer/
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Jupiter05085

Unread post by Jupiter05085 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi,
Let's take a look at NASA data:
weight = 40 kg (what is weight, weight on the Moon?)
size = 0.3-0.4 m
speed = 56,000 mph
explosion = 5 tons TNT

This immediately leads to:
speed - 25 km/s
density - 0.149-0.354 (was it rock?) personally I don't believe in porous celestial bodies.
TNT equivalent is well defined value, which is 4.184 GigaJoules.
I think for the speed of 25 km/s non-relativistic formulas is OK.
Energy=mv2/2, which makes it 2.99 tons of TNT (30% of discrepancy? - was it solid body after all?)
Explosion energy does not corresponds to explosion of solid body.
For the energy calculation I used m=40 kg, but if they provided weight (does not matter on Earth or on Moon) then mass is equals to weight divided by gravity acceleration (9.8/1.6) and tons of TNT became 0.3/1.87.

Regards.

trevbus

Unread post by trevbus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 am

This impact was observed in September

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26325934

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 am

"Usually lunar impacts have a very short duration - just a fraction of a second. But the impact we detected lasted over eight seconds.
This, to me suggests that an electrical discharge was involved. ;)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 am

This is the video of the impact.

Lunar impact blast (11 September 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFDkj2JtyA

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 am

My kinetic energy calculations were way off. Since 1 joule = 1kg (ms)^2, then a 40 kg object, moving at 25000 mps (converted from 90,000 kph) would impart 12,500,000,000 joules of kinetic energy to the impact site.

Kinetic energy is converted to heat and light, so no atmosphere is required to produce a flash. Since 1 ton of TNT is equivalent to 4,184,000,000 joules, then about 3 tons of TNT exploded on the Moon. I submit that that is quite enough to create a visible flash. The conversion of mass into thermal and optical energy would have been rapid, so the explosion created a fast transient that quickly dissipated.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 pm

@Sparky
This, to me suggests that an electrical discharge was involved.
I'd agree there. I'm of the mind that all the craters are electrical, Steve believes that physical impacts occur, but I am willing to go 50/50 kind of, as an object approaching the Moon at high speed, and possessing a different charge to the lunar surface would surely discharge at some altitude, creating the flash or glow, and likely exploding the approaching object, assuming it was a rock and not a lump of metal.
The other option may be that if a physical impact did take place, that piezoelectric effects may occur, quartz was found in some Lunar rocks, but other surface materials, given such an impact speed, could likely produce piezo- electric effects to sufficient degree to cause a flash. Are there no space based instruments watching the Moon on a regular basis for these type of events? Surely more data could be acquired from space than from Earth?
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

Steve Smith

Unread post by Steve Smith » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Except that the Moon has no magnetosphere, and its e-field is close to the surface. That e-field exists primarily during the full Moon when Earth's magnetotail brushes the lunar surface, which is then exposed to the trapped ions inside the plasma sheet.

Since there's no electromagnetic field surrounding the Moon, then a flaring bolide (as seen on Earth) isn't a good explanation for the flash. Why is the multi-gigajoule kinetic event so distasteful?

Like Mars, the large craters and other features on the Moon are electrical; caused by the events that influenced both bodies and the Solar System, in general, a few thousand years ago. However, those electrodynamic fields are no longer extant in the Solar System.

Exploding Bolides

Lunar Charge Distribution

Lunar Magnetic Anomalies

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:34 am

What mechanism would hold the flash for 8 sec.?