Reith Lectures 2010

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Grey Cloud

Reith Lectures 2010

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Don't know if they are accessible from outside the UK but...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith

Lecture 1 The Scientific Citizen
Tue, 1 Jun 10
Duration: 43 mins
Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal, explores the challenges facing science in the 21st century. After the confusion caused by Iceland’s volcanic ash cloud and public health scares like swine flu, Professor Rees says scientists should get more involved in public debate. He calls on scientists from every field to engage more widely with government, the media and ordinary people. Only then can the science that affects us all be understood.

Lecture 2 Surviving the Century
Tue, 8 Jun 10
Duration: 42 mins
Astronomer Royal Martin Rees explores the challenges facing science in the 21st century. Can we survive this century or will we destroy ourselves through bio-error or bio-terror? Professor Rees looks at the problems and explores some of the solutions science can provide.

Lecture 3 What We’ll Never Know
Tue, 15 Jun 10
Duration: 42 mins
Astronomer Royal Martin Rees explores the challenges facing science in the 21st century. In his third lecture from his professional home, the Royal Society in London, he explores What We’ll Never Know

Lecture 4: The Runaway World
Tue, 22 Jun 10
Duration:42 mins
Astronomer Royal Professor Martin Rees explores the challenges facing science in the 21st century. In his final lecture he urges the UK to stay at the forefront of global scientific research and discovery. And he warns against the dangers of letting technology run away with us. Only if we refocus our energies on the long term, will we save ourselves and our planet.

They are all 20MiB downloads.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

GaryN

Re: Reith Lectures 2010

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I can listen or download in Canada, thanks for pointing those out GC.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 pm

The podcast audio works fine, here in the U.S. My Mac didn't play the video version properly, however. That's okay; an audio tape is fine for a lecture, unless it requires visual aids, which I don't know that these lectures do. Thanks. I'll enjoy them, I'm sure.
Jim

davesmith_au
Site Admin

Unread post by davesmith_au » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Jim you'll probably find that the VLC Media Player will the videos. It plays almost anything, and is available for Mac. And it's FREE!!! (The kind of program I like... :D )

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

The first one on the page, under the heading "Latest version for 10.5 and later (release 1.0.5)" should do the trick.

Cheers, Dave.
"Those who fail to think outside the square will always be confined within it" - Dave Smith 2007
Please visit PlasmaResources
Please visit Thunderblogs
Please visit ColumbiaDisaster