New Novel Promotes Electric Universe

Books, journal articles, web pages, and news reports that can help to clarify the history and promise of the Electric Universe hypothesis.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

johnmark7

New Novel Promotes Electric Universe

Unread post by johnmark7 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

“I’ll give $100,000 to anyone in the next five years who can prove I’m wrong. If you can plausibly explain, according to the currently accepted laws of physics, how dinosaurs could have existed under our present conditions of gravity, I’ll pay up.”

“You’ve got a hundred grand to spare?” Mr. Leno asked me.
“I’ve made some good investments,” I replied.

“So you’re willing to put your money where your mouth is about this gravity thing,” he mused.

“I’d even bet my dogs I’m so certain.”

“Well, you heard it here, folks. Mr. Dan Martin, his heroic dogs, and his theory of gravity. Thanks for coming on the show, Dan.

They’re beautiful dogs you’ve got there.”

That's the opening to A Man with Three Great German Shepherds . . and 1000 troy ounces of gold.

A retired Navy man with three, beautifully trained German Shepherds flees from Sacramento to Idaho with the IRS after him for his gold.

It's that opening bet he makes that starts his trouble, and he explains the basic ideas of the Electric Universe and refers to Thunderbolts.com later in the book.

This is a book for guys; it's funny in places, poignant in others, and a little scathing here and there. If you love dogs, hate taxes and the IRS, and enjoy a good yarn, this book might suit you.

Paperback $9.99 here:
https://www.createspace.com/3574781

Kindle Edition $0.99 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Great-Germa ... 662&sr=8-1

This might be the first serious novel that takes EU seriously and presents it to ordinary readers in a way they can easily grasp. I hope y'all check it out. 99 Cents for a Kindle version is a pretty good deal.

tayga

Re: New Novel Promotes Electric Universe

Unread post by tayga » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:54 am

Damn! Someone beat me to it. :)

Seriously, I don't think you can overestimate the dissemination value of popular fiction. I'll have to take a look.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:28 pm

tayga wrote:Damn! Someone beat me to it. :)

Seriously, I don't think you can overestimate the dissemination value of popular fiction. I'll have to take a look.

Tayga, I do not think so. You still can write your book, cause the mail is just an advert, I think..
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

johnmark7

Unread post by johnmark7 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:48 am

No sir, it is a promotion of my novel, but I've been a serious follower of Plasma physics since I read The Big Bang Never Happened in 1993 or so.

I've been reading this website for about ten years. I'm willing to bet that I've been tearing apart Einsteinian theory since before you were born. I figured out before I ever read anyone else that the idea that you could 'curve' Space was BS. How do you curve nothing? Or even air or water?

Sorry, EU is what I've been preaching for a decade and your attitude pisses me off.

Shrike

Unread post by Shrike » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 am

Well now no need to get pissed of that quickly ... ;)
to be honest the last past of your post does look a bit like an advert with the prices listed and all...

MrAmsterdam

Unread post by MrAmsterdam » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:20 am

johnmark7 wrote:No sir, it is a promotion of my novel, but I've been a serious follower of Plasma physics since I read The Big Bang Never Happened in 1993 or so.

I've been reading this website for about ten years. I'm willing to bet that I've been tearing apart Einsteinian theory since before you were born. I figured out before I ever read anyone else that the idea that you could 'curve' Space was BS. How do you curve nothing? Or even air or water?

Sorry, EU is what I've been preaching for a decade and your attitude pisses me off.
I am sorry that I misunderstood. I assumed this was a first time poster and then a few links did look like an advert bot mail.

About the bet;
When I was 17 and asked my physics teacher how the forces of gravity transfer from one object to the other, he answered this was done by so called gravity waves. Then I asked for examples of experiments and never got the answer. This was 1990 ;-)

About the book;
Wow, fiction about Electric Universe theory? We can not get enough of those, so continue the write more books about this topic, please!

Could you explain, if you want to, how your story about dogs relate to the EU theory? I can think of a few facts, but I am very curious about your perspective.
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -Nikola Tesla -1934

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:09 am

johnmark7,

I read the synopsis of the book to which your post linked, and cannot see anything in there that even remotely relates to the Electric Universe.
What am I missing?
Please explain how this novel promotes the EU.

Nick

johnmark7

Unread post by johnmark7 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Sorry if I got a little tetchy there. I hate spam as much as anybody, but a little self-promotion among like-minded folks, well, I thought it might be okay.

How do the dogs in the story relate to EU? The dogs make it possible for Dan Martin to appear on The Tonight Show because of the heroic act of one of them, and how well trained they are.

Having been booked for the TV show, Dan meets with his EU SIG friends and they urge him to explain something to America about EU that people can easily understand.

In the course of that scene, Dan has to explain to the reader a number of things regarding EU theory -- the weight of dinosaurs, the way the sun actually works in terms of a cool surface and superhot atmosphere, the fact that electricity is so many orders of magnitude more powerful than gravity.

Obviously, the book is not devoted to EU theory. It is literary fiction, and I leave it to the reader to decide if Dan is crackpot or on to something. But it is the first novel of this kind that deals with EU in a rational, serious way.

I'm guessing that most people reading the book will think Dan's ideas about gravity reveal his quirkiness, and leave it at that.

The synopsis or blurb for the book mentions nothing about EU because the EU aspect is incidental, not really primary to the story, but if EU minded folks want to see how scientific material like EU can be incorporated into fiction, this book illustrates it. And it's just plain fun to see these ideas used as a plot point.

It makes it possible for me to 'sneak' EU theory into the culture without fanfare or causing alarm.

As for the fellow skeptical of his teacher's 'gravity waves', yeah, you might win the bet. I can only vaguely recall first questioning gravity 'curving' space after watching some PBS show maybe in the late 70's that attempted to explain Einstein's theories to laymen.

johnmark7

Unread post by johnmark7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:31 pm

I forgot to mention that if anyone would like to review the book, I'll be happy to send them a free copy or a KIndle file. All that I'd ask is that they write a review for this forum, and if they have positive regard for the story, to put a review up at Amazon.

Just send me a private email and I'll get you a book.

shadowmane

Unread post by shadowmane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:50 am

This looks like an interesting story. I have a friend who has a German Shepherd retired police dog. She's very neat to be around because she is trained to follow commands.

I would love to see someone write a science-fiction novel based on the Electric Universe. I think such a novel would allow the author to explore quite a few aspects of it without getting preachy.

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Let's not forget Leonid Korogodski's 2010 novella, Pink Noise.
It is clearly all about plasma phenomena in a science fantasy setting, and has a Notes and References section that includes "Galaxies in a Plasma Lab" as a general explanation of certain things widely discussed here.

Jim

Lily Rose

Unread post by Lily Rose » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Just when I thought that I couldn't possibly get any more nerdy than I already am, I put this book to my Christmas wish list.
You should really learn what the best brain supplements can do to help you!

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Now, now, Lily Rose; you're among nerdy friends here.
While I generally am not a science fantasy fan in particular, I liked Pink Noise a lot.
SF, on the other hand, claims about 100 lineal feet (30m) of shelves in our living room.

Sadly, no one wants to take time from a busy writing schedule to look into the EU paradigm as possible inspirational material or background info. I have e-mailed a couple of my favorite authors and I get the feeling that I'm offering about all the help they can stand. Hint taken. If I want an EU-SF novel written right, I'd have to do it myself. And there's no chance of that happening.

Hope you got your Christmas wish fulfilled!

Jim