Dating Comets and Asteroids

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

dougettinger

Dating Comets and Asteroids

Unread post by dougettinger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 am

The "Electric Comet" video explained that comets and asteroids are the debris from collisions of bodies in the solar system after its formation. Hence, this debris should be younger than the reputed age of the solar system of 4.55 by. Is there any data collected from space probes or from the analysis of comet's dust returned to Earth that reveals the age of their composition? And if that is the case, what are these ages?

Likewise, the radiometric dating of meteorites of various categories, reveal the typical oldest age as 4.55 billion years. But, is there a measured range of ages that to my knowledge has not been publicized?

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Sparky

Re: Dating Comets and Asteroids

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:32 am

debris from collisions
If that is what is portrayed , then I suggest that all sorts of mechanisms could result in comets and asteroids. Fissioning of suns and gas giants could produce smaller objects
as well.

Dating is questionable.... :? :? Especially if electrical activity can disrupt the radioactive decay rate. ;)
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

dougettinger

Unread post by dougettinger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Hello Sparky,

I am not ruling out a "fissioning" process in our solar system yet. High energy plasma arcing on Mars can send debris into space. If some of the debris is melted, why could not that event's time be measured by radioactive decay rates if it could be found?

Also, debris caused by an asteroid striking a rocky surface and melting it, should be definitely measured by radioactive decay methods.

Regards,

Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm

radioactive decay rates
:?

As with most things here, way above my pay grade. ;)

There are some papers that question the accuracy of "dating" because of electrical influence. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Just one of the things that need to be considered, along with the other evidence.

EU is multidisciplinary . The pieces need to fit together. I assume that dating a asteroid is problematic. Being highly speculative as to origin and birthing events, comets are said to be from all sorts of interactions.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Radiometric dating is based on the assumption that decay rates are constant under all conditions. Under the catastrophes proposed in the EU model there would be enormous electrical discharges. Material would be electrically excavated here and layers deposited there.

It appears that solar flares and Earth/Sun distances alter decay rates:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.3156
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.3283

This TPOD sums up the EU position on radiometric dating:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/ ... fossil.htm
If catastrophic changes to the solar system have occurred, then radio decay constants have changed. If the plasma discharge phenomena we call the thunderbolts of the gods actually flew between Earth and other planets, this too would have changed the radio decay constant (as well as the abundances of radioisotopes). In any case, the whole question of absolute dating must be re-evaluated from an electric universe point of view.
Dating techniques based upon uniformitarian assumptions cannot be used to test the validity of catastrophic scenarios.

dougettinger

Unread post by dougettinger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:24 am

Hello Nick,
Thanks for your appropriate reply. I read your reference about "Antarctic Fossil Questions" and found it very interesting.

My original question does not center around the validity of dating methods. It is true that major electromagnetic phenomena and major anomalous events in the solar system including atomic bomb blasts on Earth can lead to accuracy issues, but I think general trends by studying dating data are revealed. My question is about dating the age of the solar system using dating information primarily from meteorites. The date that always pops up is 4.55 mya in any analysis. Are other dates for meteorite compositions revealed, too?

So Nick, can you tell me or lead me to a reference that will help answer this question? If catastrophism is to be supported then other later dates would prove serious heating and re-melting of materials in the solar system. since its creation 4.55 mya.

Regards,
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA