Cosmology, Astronomy, Astrophysics : Hobby or Science?

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Frantic

Cosmology, Astronomy, Astrophysics : Hobby or Science?

Unread post by Frantic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Have we gained anything from our scientific adventures into the night sky? Does knowing we rotate around the sun change anything?

We have found everything on Earth first. It was then applied to space/the unvierse. Gravity for instance. E=MC^2 a thought experiment, quantum mechanics the same. Doppler effect found on Earth. Spectral bands. Atomic Structure. Electricity. But in the universe we have found problems with the theory, math, etc. We have looked outside Earth to resolve this now. We have created Dark matter and much more which has no observational link in reality, why?

We have nothing, the space station and Zero G tests, moon, mars, comets, sun, all nothing. We have learned nothing that couldn't have been discovered on Earth.

Should we not look to the mysteries of Earth never understood? We do not understand Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Seismology, Weather prediction. That is just one field. We can explain numerous atomic elements, reactions, genetics, biology, medicine, etc.. We have done so much yet we struggle so hard to explain the simplest astronomical question of why galaxies form a spiral or an elliptical galaxy.

What has been learned in space and used on Earth?

My main point is I don't think we can obtain any valid data from a location beyond Earth's sphere of influence as we have no way to calibrate our instruments with an actual.

I am probably missing a lot, but I just wonder if we are spending time wisely so to speak.

Is it just something we enjoy, a hobby? Astronomy cosmology whatever you call it. Maybe this isn't science at all. Just a hobby, enjoyment, a curiosity, when we look beyond Earth that's what we are really doing. Making it all the more comical that anyone can assure us of such absurdities. And amazing at how much sense we can make out of the chaos.

On an optimistic note, I think this could be a new age of astronomy as well, we have actual calibrated instruments within our solar system now. Voyager, Rosetta,etc. This is the best data we have ever had and I think it will lead us to question some of our most basic assumptions. We are getting to the point we can study the solar system in the same detail as our own planet. Still beyond us, is interstellar space, and understanding will elude us for a long time.

What do you think?