Brady Haran grilling physicist on dark energy nonsense

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Giffyguy

Brady Haran grilling physicist on dark energy nonsense

Unread post by Giffyguy » Fri May 01, 2015 10:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsBACIstuTI

My favorite part: "That seems ... convenient ..."

If you consider the fact that our measurements of the expansion of the universe are Columbus-levels of inaccurate, and acknowledge that electromagnetic forces DO exist (shocker), then the entire theory of dark energy ceases to make any sense or serve any purpose.

D_Archer

Re: Brady Haran grilling physicist on dark energy nonsense

Unread post by D_Archer » Mon May 04, 2015 2:33 am

i dont think this was really grilling, he allowed her every opportunity to explain more nonsense. And there was no negative conclusion, looked more like an infomercial for standard "theory".

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Giffyguy

Unread post by Giffyguy » Mon May 04, 2015 8:34 am

True, and Brady is a standard theory proponent himself - but that's what makes this interview so interesting in my opinion.

I think he questioned her with exactly the method we should always use to question standard model physicists:
  • Keep pressing the questions
  • Don't let them dance away from the issues
  • Give them every opportunity to explain properly (i.e. let them dig themselves as deep as they want)
  • Be polite and respectful
It's the perfect formula for success: it produces the best exposure of the nonsense, without making enemies in the process.

In fact, if you look through the comment thread on the YouTube video, the interview really did a good job of striking up constructive conversations about how dark energy is just another Aristotelian epicycle, and that we are making up unobserved entities to explain anomalies in mathematical equations of the universe (which aren't complete or correct to begin with).

Kuldebar

Unread post by Kuldebar » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting this, I agree that it was "grilling" and rather surprising considering the "griller" is a standard cosmology type individual.

I couldn't help thinking about how if institutional science has the inner workings of gravity (variability etc) wrong then all the nonsense that follows from there will be increasingly wrong. And of course discounting plasma and electrical forces further compounds the "wrongness".
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Is not the space between Heaven and Earth like a bellows? It is empty, but lacks nothing. The more it moves, the more comes out of it. -Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching
--------------------------------------------------------------------