things yet unexplained by plasma cosmology

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Sparky

Re: things yet unexplained by plasma cosmology

Unread post by Sparky » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 am

Then I suggest that if you are arguing with anyone who has not seen it and given it serious consideration, but are dismissive and unwilling to attempt to understand, extend to them the same courtesy. A curt, "cultish nonsense", is all they deserve in reply to some arrogant consensus claim.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Tue May 01, 2012 10:10 am

Sparky wrote:Then I suggest that if you are arguing with anyone who has not seen it and given it serious consideration, but are dismissive and unwilling to attempt to understand, extend to them the same courtesy. A curt, "cultish nonsense", is all they deserve in reply to some arrogant consensus claim.

;)

bancor

Unread post by bancor » Sat May 05, 2012 12:46 am

Good morning everyone!

As a (quite)absolute newbie, and above all a layman, might I suggest to damabo to catch the problem by the head and not by the tail, and to read before all some paper by Hannes Afvén?

Many of them may be found for free on ADS database, other (as Cosmic Plasma) are books rather expensive you may find on Abebooks site, however Worlds-Antiworlds - Antimatter in Cosmology is a very cheap book indeed.

I deem, damabo, that you'll be able to realize what Alfvén thought about plasma, electricity in space, and other cosmic phenomena; and you'll know, at last, what "double layers" are: actually they are well known by any beginner in plasma physics, be him or not a Plasma Universe adept.

Cheers from Italy!

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Sat May 05, 2012 10:36 am

bancor wrote:Good morning everyone!

As a (quite)absolute newbie, and above all a layman, might I suggest to damabo to catch the problem by the head and not by the tail, and to read before all some paper by Hannes Afvén?

Many of them may be found for free on ADS database, other (as Cosmic Plasma) are books rather expensive you may find on Abebooks site, however Worlds-Antiworlds - Antimatter in Cosmology is a very cheap book indeed.

I deem, damabo, that you'll be able to realize what Alfvén thought about plasma, electricity in space, and other cosmic phenomena; and you'll know, at last, what "double layers" are: actually they are well known by any beginner in plasma physics, be him or not a Plasma Universe adept.

Cheers from Italy!
what would alfvens book tell me about relativity and quantum physics? I don't think he has ever adressed any of those.

bancor

Unread post by bancor » Sat May 05, 2012 1:20 pm

damabo wrote:what would alfvens book tell me about relativity and quantum physics? I don't think he has ever adressed any of those.
Absolutely true, damabo, you''re right on this point, but since the first thing yet unexplained by plasma cosmology you posted starting this thread was:
damabo wrote:1. cosmic microwave background radiation (it is of course small in comparison with "95% of the universe is of unknown nature" (dark matter and dark energy))
I guessed this question could find an answer, at least in a way you might regard as simplistic, in those Alfvén's works.

I may be wrong, obviously, even though your subsequent query to nick c:
damabo wrote:Also, what are these "double layers"?
laid deep in the way paved just by Alfvén's research.

Have a good week-end.

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 am

bancor wrote:
damabo wrote:what would alfvens book tell me about relativity and quantum physics? I don't think he has ever adressed any of those.
Absolutely true, damabo, you''re right on this point, but since the first thing yet unexplained by plasma cosmology you posted starting this thread was:
damabo wrote:1. cosmic microwave background radiation (it is of course small in comparison with "95% of the universe is of unknown nature" (dark matter and dark energy))
I guessed this question could find an answer, at least in a way you might regard as simplistic, in those Alfvén's works.

I may be wrong, obviously, even though your subsequent query to nick c:
damabo wrote:Also, what are these "double layers"?
laid deep in the way paved just by Alfvén's research.

Have a good week-end.
I already have had some interesting responses w.r.t. cosmic microwave background, which seemed reasonable and just as plausible. the video of the big bang never happened especially made clear how these background waves were predicted by most plasma (and other) physicists, to a more accurate estimation than most big bang theorists.
If I want to know what double layers are, I usually just search the wiki ;), I don't like reading whole books that much, I'm more like what's that, and then search it quickly so I am saturated. A sentence or two like 'A double layer is a structure in a plasma and consists of two parallel layers with opposite electrical charge. The sheets of charge cause a strong electric field and a correspondingly sharp change in voltage (electrical potential) across the double layer.' make clear much without having to read a whole book ;), and of course forums are a quick way to get answers too. plus, on internet you often have visuals which you don't have in books.

bancor

Unread post by bancor » Sun May 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm so sorry, damabo; I finally realize that I must apologize to you.

Evidently, I thought to suggest you something useful to answer your questions, while you did already know everything about them; about "double layers" the issue -applied to cosmic plasmas- is (at least IMHO) a little more pregnant than the plain description you quoted from Wikipedia, though.

But you know: I'm a newcomer and a layman, and I cannot face a debate with learned people; I hope you'll forgive me for having uselessly bored you suggesting to waste time reading books, quite unaware of the plenty of resources on the net.

I promise that this was the first and the last time; absolutely my fault, no doubt: I pay for my scot.
Best regards.

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 am

bancor wrote:I'm so sorry, damabo; I finally realize that I must apologize to you.

Evidently, I thought to suggest you something useful to answer your questions, while you did already know everything about them; about "double layers" the issue -applied to cosmic plasmas- is (at least IMHO) a little more pregnant than the plain description you quoted from Wikipedia, though.

But you know: I'm a newcomer and a layman, and I cannot face a debate with learned people; I hope you'll forgive me for having uselessly bored you suggesting to waste time reading books, quite unaware of the plenty of resources on the net.

I promise that this was the first and the last time; absolutely my fault, no doubt: I pay for my scot.
Best regards.
you're not sarcastic, are you? it is always a good suggestion to indicate the existing books on the subject, which indeed do more justice than a short description. So, no need to apologize. Of course, it is quite likely that there is a very precise description on the net, but then again you will spend some time searching. Perhaps, for me, I'm going to take a glimpse to his book via google books, if it is available.

bancor

Unread post by bancor » Mon May 07, 2012 11:09 am

Not at all, damabo, I'm not sarcastic; and in replaying your last post my aim is to point it.

Actually, if I may be so bold, were instead your former responses to betray a slight taste of dismissal towards my suggestions.
But this, like the rest of the Poet, is silence.

Let me say, however, that -because of your preferences for conciseness- it may be much more easy, and much less annoying, to download and read some Alfvén's papers from ADS Data base.

Best regards.

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 am

bancor wrote:Not at all, damabo, I'm not sarcastic; and in replaying your last post my aim is to point it.

Actually, if I may be so bold, were instead your former responses to betray a slight taste of dismissal towards my suggestions.
But this, like the rest of the Poet, is silence.

Let me say, however, that -because of your preferences for conciseness- it may be much more easy, and much less annoying, to download and read some Alfvén's papers from ADS Data base.

Best regards.
cool. can you give a link of some kind?

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 am

"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 am

the link you posted sparky, does not work.
I can however access the site adsabs.harvard.edu where there is a vast literature present. I search for alfven, but they are all of some other researchers. anyway, I think these papers would be a bit too technical for me to read in my leisure time. I'll likely stick with my lazy approach, after all it's just spare time. Perhaps when I am more schooled on the subject my motivation and my capacity will increase.

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 am

I have searched the worlds-antiworlds paper (two versions) , have found it, but you are not able to download it. perhaps I have looked it over?

bancor

Unread post by bancor » Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Ok, damabo, here some direct link to Alfvén's papers from ADS Database, where you may find plenty of papers by Alfvén, even if for many of them only abstract is freely accessible.
The following three papers, IMO, render the essence of Alfvén's wiew about plasmas and electricity in space; the last one summarizes his scientific thought about cosmology.

Interstellar clouds (1977)
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi- ... etype=.pdf

Double Radio Sources (1977)

On hierarchical Cosmology (1983)

Please, note the date of publication, forty or more years ago; so, you have to consider the time elapsed and the tremendous change in knowledge occurred in the meantime: however, you'll find -I deem- that his general views about cosmic plasma are quite valid till now, and if applied -in an interdisciplinary way, as he liked to hope- to some present "shocking surprises" about peculiar cosmic objects, could help to explain their weirdness that is so baffling the conventional wisdom of present-day cosmology.

Enjoy!
Best regards.

damabo

Unread post by damabo » Wed May 09, 2012 5:15 am

thanks bro. I keep a (personal) journal (with some links as well) on things like these. perhaps I can add them and who knows, some day I might find this to be very useful information :) . Best regards.