Project Hermes?

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Morphix

Project Hermes?

Unread post by Morphix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 pm

I have spent some time looking for criticism of plasma cosmology and electric universe throry, and came across this thread at one of James Randi's "skeptical" forums: http://forums.randi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The lengthy, muilt-year back and forth involves questions about things like the upper distance limit that electrical currents can be carried by plasma, whether electromagnetic force really has enough influence to figure prominently in the formation of galaxies, stars, etc, as well as whether EU scientists are qualified/competent to propound anything.

It occurred to me that it could be a very good exercise for the most knowledgable EU proponents to comb through this thread and give full answer to all the criticisms, in good scientific fashion, and the same for other forums where scientists, grad students, engineers and others congregate and pat themselves on the back for knowing the truth. What an opportunity to let the public learn about the EU paradigm! This sort of response in select forums could really be an ongoing project. Perhaps EU project HERMES:

"Hermes is the son of Zeus and Maia. He is Zeus messenger. He is the fastest of the gods. He wears winged sandals, a winged hat, and carries a magic wand. He is the god of thieves and god of commerce. He is the guide for the dead to go to the underworld. He invented the lyre, the pipes, the musical scale, astronomy , weights and measures, boxing, gymnastics, and the care of olive trees."

Any thoughts?

marg36

Re: Project Hermes?

Unread post by marg36 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

As far as i know (based on various sites, includng this one, and various books), there IS no upper limit on distance for plasma. Or on the cosmos, for that matter. Personally, though, I have no interest in refuting the skeptics. I learned the hard way years ago that there is no way to tell someone something they do not want to hear.

tayga

Re: Project Hermes?

Unread post by tayga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am

I second what marg36 says. These people are not inquisitive about EU at all and answering their questions is never likely to be a satisfying experience. They are what is known as gatekeepers, defenders of the status quo who exemplify cognitive dissonance in science.

If you like arguing, go for it. If you need to convince yourself about EU you'd be better off reading more TPODs.
tayga

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

- Richard P. Feynman

Normal science does not aim at novelties of fact or theory and, when successful, finds none.
- Thomas Kuhn