How was the conference?

Many Internet forums have carried discussion of the Electric Universe hypothesis. Much of that discussion has added more confusion than clarity, due to common misunderstandings of the electrical principles. Here we invite participants to discuss their experiences and to summarize questions that have yet to be answered.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Vasa

How was the conference?

Unread post by Vasa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 am

I haven't seen a post on it yet. I found out about it the week after Christmas and unforrunately couldn't attend. How was it?

D_Archer

Re: How was the conference?

Unread post by D_Archer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 am

http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/mm/elec ... -excerpts/

Was not there myself.

Regards,
Daniel
- Shoot Forth Thunder -

Vasa

Unread post by Vasa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Daniel, however I was speaking about the conference last week, the link you provided was from last year. However, I have watched all those videos numerous times previously, they are very good videos. Hopefully they post some clips from the recent conference soon!

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

In one word:

AMAZING!

Stick around-- there will be some big things coming, just be patient ;)

Phorce

Unread post by Phorce » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 am

Did Rupert Sheldrake speak ?

Were there live streams available at this years conference ? I'm not seeing availability of live interaction via streaming video and IRC, although I know the moderation of this needs to be carefully set up to avoid too much internet noise.

I started a discussion about Thornhill's article that inspired (?) the name of the conference; Science’s Looming ‘Tipping Point’ (Thornhill/Holoscience)
Exploration and discovery without honest investigation of "extraordinary" results leads to a Double Bind (Bateson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind ) that creates loss of hope and depression. No more Double Binds !

phyllotaxis

Unread post by phyllotaxis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Here's the first half of his presentation!

http://youtu.be/0waMBY3qEA4

And make sure you all go here to our newly-created Facebook page to view continual updates :)

http://www.facebook.com/thunderboltsproject

jjohnson

Unread post by jjohnson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi, all,

I don't get on the Net Talk section very often, but spotted this subject, and want to fill in a little. The following "report" is extracted from a summary I sent to Steve Smith, who manages the TPODs of course, who couldn't make it to the EU 2013 conference this year. I didn't give a talk, but was on a panel that discussed "open questions", along with Mel Acheson, Wal Thornhill, Monty Childs, Dave Talbott, and Forrest Bishop. There was some really good stuff this year, and a LOT of new faces.

The conference was outstanding - I wish you'd been able to come. Lots of really interesting new guys from mainstream pasts, with interests in plasma and weather and solar and much more. A large part of my thanks has to go to Susan Schirott, who made things work, and worked so hard to ensure that it was a well-oiled machine.

Bob Johnson presented an alternative approach to the solar model to Wal's, which Wal responded to with interest and tolerance, as both these guys are real gentlemen. I don't know if Bob's hypothesizing will get published by the EU, but if it is I'd sure like to get a copy. Makes one think, and it is good to have a possibly plausible contrasting EU model to tinker with and look for chinks in and strengths of both. A single-model science is a little sparse, and one is left, in that circumstance, wondering what we might be missing, as characterized in Stanford's dense little book, "Exceeding Our Grasp: Science, History, and the Problem of Unconceived Alternatives". Fortunately, not only is the EU paradigm rich in conceived alternatives to the standard models, but internally diverse as well. We've got some really good thinkers aboard, IMHO.

A lot of biology, water and life science integration from people with those interests. Some might border a scoshi on the woo-woo side, but we're a tolerant lot, especially if we are approached with, "I think this ties into the EU model"…. Jerry Pollock had more interesting things to say on structured water, or EZ water (Exclusion Zone). If you're into really interesting science books, his "Cells, Gels, and the Engines of Life" is a real page turner.

I heard more open discussion on Velikovsky and his writings than at any other conference I've attended thus far. While this is not the area that attracts my interest the most, I think it's healthy and possibly instructive to include it openly. The same is true on the mythology side of things - all well-presented and eye-opening.

There were scholarship students there aplenty, and they are an outstanding lot. Evan Camp, science teacher extraordinaire, had two 8th grade boys with him with eyes and ears wide. There were both male and female scholars, up to early college age. Evan gave an outstanding and enthusiastic presentation on how he teaches science to his students, and his infectious enthusiasm and techniques to integrate critical thinking and EU ideas with mainstream interpretations made everyone wish they'd had Evan for their science teacher. One of the best presentations at the conference.

An idea that struck me is that it could be effective to offer summer sessions to interested science teachers on how to use Evan's techniques to teach comparative/critical thinking and EU (and possibly other) alternatives to the instructional model that they are made to teach by their school systems. If they were half so fun as Evan seems to make his class, there'd be converts to our thinking aplenty. And I think this is good for the standard model itself, whether it simply enriches it and alters its course away from its inertial trajectory to nowhere new, or it is the unconceived alternative that mainstream scientists have been missing.

Jim Ryder, Formerly with Lockheed Martin's solar physics area, gave a great talk, and he and Don Haney made excellent moderators for the two panel discussions. Rupert Sheldrake's talk was quite interesting; he definitely thinks outside my own normal boundaries, but it's engaging to think about all this stuff. Steve Crothers I found to have one of the funniest dead-pan senses of humor at the conference (not to mention Mel's incisive with and woodcraft), and further he is a humble, engaging and truly nice guy to know. —And absolutely brilliant at cutting the props out from under the entire black hole house of cards.

On the first (registration) day, Michael Steinbacher rounded up half a dozen or so interested guys and we headed over to the plateau west across the river from Albuquerque to look around in the petroglyph area and discuss Steinbacker's interpretation of how plasma could have modified the local minerals into basalt. Then we drove west to the "cinder cone" areas and hiked up a couple of them to examine them closely and get a sense of the 4-corners area perspective. Very instructive, and a great thing to do on the first of a series of cool, sunny days.

Monty Childs' summary of the progress and next steps on the SAFIR project showed me that he, Paul Anderson, Wal and the entire SAFIRE group have made much more progress than I was aware of, to their credit. The experimental set-up has been developed and conceptualized in 3-D CAD, and shopping for the instrumentation and equipment is well underway. I was boggled by the very high-speed HD video camera and its relatively low price, and the other data gathering and processing hardware and software they are finding, much from the medical instrumentation field as well as others. This is clearly a thoughtful and careful process, and I think they are well on their way to having a small multi-purpose plasma lab. It was a stunning piece of news at the final banquet that the Mainwaring Foundation had agreed to support SAFIR, which is certainly a beneficial move from these great folks - the "Medici family" of the EU, as Bill Mullen so aptly described them.

Bill Nichols, a man with whom I can identify because I, too was in and out of Clark Air Base in the Philippines, near Manila, throughout my short Air Force career. Nichols was there in a weather capacity when Mount Pinatubo erupted, and he observed and recorded firsthand the lightning interactions that accompanied that process even as he was helping get the base evacuated. He's an excellent, organized thinker with a vast realm of experience to bring to the EU.

I could go on - young Cameron Mercer was his engaging self, a born salesman and diplomat; Paul Anderson's quiet expertise and critical thinking on experimentation; Steinbacher and his observations of what has happened on the Colorado Plateau and elsewhere in the American West, the beautiful artwork featuring EU themes by Heskin and Weaver; Chris Reeve's revelations of the broad spectrum of studies on learning and educational methodologies, how people learn best, stages of personal learning, computer aided peer sharing via knowledge mapping, and much more… I could go on for a long while. It was an honor and a pleasure to be with this amazing group of people, conversing, sharing opinions, ideas and knowledge, and thinking about the future tasks to maintain the increasing momentum.

I had a talk with Jim Ryder and his charming wife at breakfast on the last morning, discussing things a little outside just EU ideas, and more into the tone and spirit of collegiality and diplomatic, peer-engagement democracy in this group. We found agreement on a wide variety of subjects, but in particular about minimizing hostility and intolerant or arrogant attitudes on anyone's part in order to make progress and remain friends in the process. That, to me, is key. Like it or not, on this planet we're all in this together, no matter where you hail from, of from which creed or science or other interest. I think experience shows that both groups have faced certain problems, and that they are tractable through well intentioned accord and by foregoing the hostility-creating baggage of the David vs. Goliath attitude. I think we all want the same thing at the end of the day, to have a better handle at understanding how we got where we are and how to better understand how things work so that we can understand and use such knowledge to advance ourselves as sentient, competent beings. I doubt whether everyone would put it in precisely those terms, but you get my drift. One of the mantras repeated in my Air Force early pilot training, to maintain group cohesiveness and to maximize throughput in that education, was, "Cooperate and graduate". Socrates might well have said that, and I still keep it in mind as I look at this great EU cooperative effort, still but in its infancy. If we cooperate, we will graduate.

Don't miss EU 2014.

Cheers
Jim