An Ordinary Star

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

antosarai

An Ordinary Star

Unread post by antosarai » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

My understanding of exact sciences is assumedly shallow (I deal quite poorly with math), English is not my native language. Perhaps that explains why I couldn't make sense of the last two phrases by Mr. Stephen Smith on today's TPOD:

"A positive space-charge sheath nearest Sun accelerates positive ions, principally protons, to form the solar wind."

I'm afraid I have no idea what a positive space-charge sheath may be, nor how does it operate to accelerate positive particles coming FROM the sun.

"Within that heliospheric volume, the implied current is sufficient to power the Sun."

That just lost me entirely.

I'd most certainly appreciate would someone please enlighten me. TIA.

Sparky

Re: An Ordinary Star

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:19 am

http://qdl.scs-inc.us/2ndParty/Images/C ... rs_wbg.png

A charged sheath/sleeve, is a section of space that is charged positive, it will deflect positive ions away..
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Bomb20

Re: An Ordinary Star

Unread post by Bomb20 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 am

I nagged on the same translation problem. Even worse it looked to me like a reification - in a strict sense space itself is not charged - you need matter!

It should rather read: "A positive charged sheath in the space near the sun ..."