Blinded by the Light

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

viscount aero

Re: Blinded by the Light

Unread post by viscount aero » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:35 am

jtb wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that space is undetectable matter existing between, or within, detectable matter. I'm sitting in a room surrounded by undetectable matter: air. With technology, we detect atoms of oxygen and nitrogen surrounded by undetectable matter. With further technology we detect electrons, protons, and neutrons within the atoms surrounded by undetectable matter. As our technology advances we detect matter where previously "empty space" existed. Just because we don't have the technology to detect something, doesn't mean it isn't there.
Lots of us believe in the aether which could be regarded as space. It is a real substance albeit not like traditional matter. What you're saying could be regarded as aether.

jtb

Unread post by jtb » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:11 pm

"the earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep". The word void always troubled me. I now think void means undetectable. In the beginning it was cold and dark: zero Kelvin. At zero K, motion ceases. Motionless matter is undetectable, without form, and offers zero resistance to objects moving through it. Darkness cannot comprehend light. Light from the stars travels nearly unimpeded through the cold darkness of space. So yes, what I am describing is the aether.

viscount aero

Unread post by viscount aero » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm

jtb wrote:"the earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep". The word void always troubled me. I now think void means undetectable. In the beginning it was cold and dark: zero Kelvin. At zero K, motion ceases. Motionless matter is undetectable, without form, and offers zero resistance to objects moving through it. Darkness cannot comprehend light. Light from the stars travels nearly unimpeded through the cold darkness of space. So yes, what I am describing is the aether.
My shot at it:

"the earth was without form and void..." to me, means the Earth did not yet exist. It was formless and void--non-existent.

"...and darkness was upon the face of the deep..." to me, means zero presence of light, no stars, nothing--the deep of the cosmos was matterless, empty. Whereas there may have been a "pre-existent" deep "void," it was empty and not occupied with anything. It was only a "space."

I agree with you about the aether, yes.