Hannes Alfvén: the Maverick Plasma Astrophysicist

Hundreds of TPODs have been published since the summer of 2004. In particular, we invite discussion of present and recent TPODs, perhaps with additional links to earlier TPOD pages. Suggestions for future pages will be welcome. Effective TPOD drafts will be MORE than welcome and could be your opportunity to become a more active part of the Thunderbolts team.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

iantresman

Unread post by iantresman » Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 am

Rather than blow my own trumpet on my TPOD on Hannes Alfvén: the Maverick Plasma Astrophysicist, I'd like to highlight:

Hannes Alfvén Birth Centennial: A pictorial tribute by Bibhas De

MGmirkin

Unread post by MGmirkin » Fri May 30, 2008 4:30 pm

(Hannes Alfvén: the Maverick Plasma Astrophysicist; May 30, 2008)

100 years ago today on May 30th, 1908, Hannes Olof Gösta Alfvén was born in Norrköping, Sweden, about 100 miles southwest of Stockholm.

Hannes Alfvén is considered one of the founding fathers in the field of plasma physics. He described himself as a dissident scientist and maverick, and attitudes towards him are ambivalent. On the one hand, he received the 1970 Nobel Prize in physics for applications of his work in different areas of plasma physics. On the other hand, some of his contributions to science have been either ignored, forgotten, or unacknowledged.

[Read more] ...
"The purpose of science is to investigate the unexplained, not to explain the uninvestigated." ~Dr. Stephen Rorke
"For every PhD there is an equal and opposite PhD." ~Gibson's law

iantresman

Re: Hannes Alfvén: the Maverick Plasma Astrophysicist

Unread post by iantresman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 am

See also: Hannes Alfvén Birth Centennial
Features a scanned copy of "Alfvén, Dean of the Plasma Dissidents" By Anthony L. Peratt, published in The World, and I. (May 1988)