Science is not as objective as they think.

Has science taken a wrong turn? If so, what corrections are needed? Chronicles of scientific misbehavior. The role of heretic-pioneers and forbidden questions in the sciences. Is peer review working? The perverse "consensus of leading scientists." Good public relations versus good science.

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Plasmatic

Re: Science is not as objective as they think.

Unread post by Plasmatic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 am

I would change the title to:

"Some scientist are not as objective as they think"

Or:

" The popular model of the scientific method is not as objective as its adherents think".....

:D
"Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification"......" I am therefore Ill think"
Ayn Rand
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
Aristotle

Aardwolf

Re: Science is not as objective as they think.

Unread post by Aardwolf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:21 am

Another relevant report highlighting my points;
The Scientist wrote:The responsibility for this unfortunate state of affairs rests squarely on the leaders of nutrition research. Rather than training graduate students in the scientific method, and allowing their research to serve the needs of society, the field’s leaders choose to train their mentees to serve only their own professional needs—namely, to obtain grant funding and publish their research. I have experienced these practices myself as I transitioned from student to graduate research assistant to research fellow, and colleagues continue to emphasize that this is how it must be, lest they fail to get funding and ‘feed’ their graduate students and families. But by not training mentees in the basics of science and skepticism, the nutrition field has fostered the use of measures that are so profoundly dissonant with scientific principles that they will never yield a definitive conclusion. As such, we now have multiple generations of nutrition researchers who dominate federal nutrition research and the peer review of that work, but lack the critical thinking skills necessary to critique or conduct sound scientific research.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... -Clothing/

The question is exaclty how many scientific fields is this behaviour prevalent in?